What are you listening to?

Child of Flame

Tom Waits - Telephone Call From Istanbul.

"Lou Gutman - the freshmaker."

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Rock Music -- Pixies

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You listen to a lot of Tom Waits, and list a lot of his later work. You know, the crazy albums like Swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs. I think those albums are great, but for casual listening I prefer old Tom Waits, i.e. Small Change, Closing Time, and Heartattack and Vine. Especially when drinking alone on a Tuesday night... not that I do that.

So my question to you is this:

Is ol' Tommy better as a raspy-voiced lounge singer and balladeer, or as a raspy-voiced growling composer of eerie, otherworldly songs with things like marimbas in them?

Other freaks who enjoy Tom Waits are free to chime in, as well.

My two examples of Mr. Waits at the top of both forms:

TW - On the Nickel

TW - Sixteen Shells from a Thirty-Aught-Six

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

You listen to a lot of Tom Waits, and list a lot of his later work. You know, the crazy albums like Swordfishtrombones, Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs. I think those albums are great, but for casual listening I prefer old Tom Waits, i.e. Small Change, Closing Time, and Heartattack and Vine. Especially when drinking alone on a Tuesday night... not that I do that.

So my question to you is this:

Is ol' Tommy better as a raspy-voiced lounge singer and balladeer, or as a raspy-voiced growling composer of eerie, otherworldly songs with things like marimbas in them?

Other freaks who enjoy Tom Waits are free to chime in, as well.

My two examples of Mr. Waits at the top of both forms:

TW - On the Nickel

TW - Sixteen Shells from a Thirty-Aught-Six

Well, I don't know if I can really decide. If I had to choose, I might say "raspy-voiced growling composer of eerie, otherworldly songs." My favorite album of his would have to be his newest "Real Gone." But my second might be "Nighthawks at the diner." Really both exceptional records, and I think they are good representations of the two different Waits' that you have described. If you don't have these albums, then I encourage you to pick them up.

Tom Waits - Shake It.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Black Francis - Dancing the Manta Ray.

Black Francis - The Happening.

Tom Waits - Hoist That Rag.