Your response to violence in Games

Hell Kitty

That's the point of the game though. They wanted you to feel like you're part of a bigger picture, not the only person fighting the fight.

I prefer it immensely to all the solo action. CoD also had people being invincible (like Cpt. Foley), but it's a minor oversight as I much prefer playing as a part of a squad. The worst missions for me in that game were the SAS missions where you did so much alone. It didn't seem to have the tension or the atmosphere. The Soviet missions, especially in the various city missions, had tons of this and were a great way to finish off the game IMO.

I'm looking forward to CoD2

Theoretically, this one doesn't fit in the "kill" category, but at the moment I thought it was kinda cruel (and yet hilarious at the same time):

In GTA San Andreas, there's this mission where you have to take some gang members with you, sneak into a graveyard, and kill some opposing gang leader. So I brought some homeys ("Grove Street for life homey, you down?"), killed the dude, and then had to hurry the f*ck outta there. I grabbed a car parked in the graveyard and drove off, one of my gang members running behind me trying to get in.

Instead of stopping, I just yelled "Grove Street for life homey!" at the poor guy, after which he was brutally gunned down.

Aww, yeah! Jizzle's back!

And he's got a whole new bunch of "ur mum" comebacks to boot!

These boards so need more cool kids like him.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's the point of the game though.  They wanted you to feel like you're part of a bigger picture, not the only person fighting the fight.

I prefer it immensely to all the solo action.  CoD also had people being invincible (like Cpt. Foley), but it's a minor oversight as I much prefer playing as a part of a squad.  The worst missions for me in that game were the SAS missions where you did so much alone.  It didn't seem to have the tension or the atmosphere.  The Soviet missions, especially in the various city missions, had tons of this and were a great way to finish off the game IMO.

well considering that this was at a landing on normandy... I don't think there would be that many men...

And it happens everywhere... Even in missions where you are cut off from reinfocements all of a sudden a new army dude arrives to fill out the squad... this especially bad on a mission where you have to hold out for 5 minutes against a nazi attack so that you can be relieved by your own forces.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

well considering that this was at a landing on normandy... I don't think there would be that many men...

And it happens everywhere... Even in missions where you are cut off from reinfocements all of a sudden a new army dude arrives to fill out the squad... this especially bad on a mission where you have to hold out for 5 minutes against a nazi attack so that you can be relieved by your own forces.

I played CoD today. (got it and 4 other games for

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I still play the first one's single player, it's a good game. And what a lucky kid that one will be come Christmas morning.

I like it, although I prefer the controls on The Big Red One.

Unless it sets his house on fire :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Make up your mind what name you're using Jodo.

Well your mother didn't mind it last night.

She's dead.

So what?! Am I supposed to say now: I'm sorry...I didn't know bullsh*t stuff.

Attempting to give a damn.....

I lied. I only did that to show that people should think before they make lewd comments about someone's family members that they know nothing about. That post and this one only proves what a foolish thinker you are.

edit for typos

Edited by Gabrielle

That's the point of the game though.  They wanted you to feel like you're part of a bigger picture, not the only person fighting the fight.

I prefer it immensely to all the solo action.  CoD also had people being invincible (like Cpt. Foley), but it's a minor oversight as I much prefer playing as a part of a squad.  The worst missions for me in that game were the SAS missions where you did so much alone.  It didn't seem to have the tension or the atmosphere.  The Soviet missions, especially in the various city missions, had tons of this and were a great way to finish off the game IMO.

If it was a landing on Normandy, than there probably wasn't enough men.

I understand that it's fake. But I prefer it hands down over you being an even bigger supersoldier taking on the third reich on his own. I rationalize it via technological limitations. Honestly, how many friendly soldiers exist at any given time? You can't have entire battalions, or you'd chug the game down. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that even with the "you're cut off from reinforcement missions" there still isn't anywhere near enough men represented in the game as their should be if it was trying to mimic real life.

I don't remember regenerating tanks in CoD?  Where did this happen?  I remembering making sure my aim was pure and true on the tank missions, otherwise I was in for a long night.

Russian missions. The tanks have two bars. Top one looks like armour which dosnt regenerate and the bottom one is health which kept going up much like the personal health in CoD II only a bit slower.

478327[/snapback]

Wasn't that your ammunition reload?

I'll have to (happily) play that again. I don't remember, been a long time :)

EDIT: Hmm, I see the health bar. It doesn't go down though when I get shot though....

The big red bar does go down (obviously).

Edited by alanschu

Heh, the regenerating bar is the reload time. The tank armour doesn't regen.

Edit: I had to go and check, the big red bar is, as is stated in big letters when the mission starts, the tank armour. Next to that is a bullet icon, which shows reload time. Underneath both of these is the green player health bar, which isn't at all used during the tanks missions, so I've no idea what SP is one about with this regenerating bar business.

As for the constant flow of men in CoD2, it's needed for the illusion of being just one man amongst many. If their is a set limit of men, you'll eventually run out and the game will turn into the one man army stuff typically found in FPS - illusion destroyed.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Heh, the regenerating bar is the reload time. The tank armour doesn't regen.

Edit: I had to go and check, the big red bar is, as is stated in big letters when the mission starts, the tank armour. Next to that is a bullet icon, which shows reload time. Underneath both of these is the green player health bar, which isn't at all used during the tanks missions, so I've no idea what SP is one about with this regenerating bar business.

As for the constant flow of men in CoD2, it's needed for the illusion of being just one man amongst many. If their is a set limit of men, you'll eventually run out and the game will turn into the one man army stuff typically found in FPS - illusion destroyed.

Has to be health because the one time I got caught out in a crossfire the tank blew up.If it was for reload time, then it wouldnt go down when you got shot would it? I've trundled through red square without anything in the armour bar and the tank has been fine.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Take it from a guy who's played it a lot...Tanks don't regenerate.

One bar is tank health, the other is for the soldier. Tank damage is wonky in the game though...I've gone through with a sliver of tank health, been hit with a panzerfaust (sp?) and been fine. Other times, one hits me and I'm dead...with half full armor.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Take it from a guy who's played it a lot...Tanks don't regenerate.

One bar is tank health, the other is for the soldier. Tank damage is wonky in the game though...I've gone through with a sliver of tank health, been hit with a panzerfaust (sp?) and been fine. Other times, one hits me and I'm dead...with half full armor.

Dosnt explain what was clearly happening though. The tank was driving around with zero armour and half or more of the green health bar missing.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Dosnt explain what was clearly happening though. The tank was driving around with zero armour and half or more of the green health bar missing.

Yeah it does. You probably had the barest sliver of tank armor left...and I'm not certain, but I think your soldier's health sometimes drops when you're hit.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Tank damage is wonky in the game though...I've gone through with a sliver of tank health, been hit with a panzerfaust (sp?) and been fine. Other times, one hits me and I'm dead...with half full armor.

I found the same thing. A couple times I was hit with no damage. I was still going without anything in the armour bar, but I didn't survive the next hit. :wub: