KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Please feel free to contribute to the ongoing discussion. There is a lot of interest in this topic and keeping input centralised and presented in a clear and articulate manner will have more impact and influence than posting to the contrary ;)

Please do not post if you do not have anything constructive to add. There are new members arriving all of the time - so post with respect and in a constructive nature. If you do not, I will act as though the intent is to SPAM!

See previous threads:

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Ok people let's do keep this in mind:

Please do not post if you do not have anything constructive to add. There are new members arriving all of the time - so post with respect and in a constructive nature. If you do not, I will act as though the intent is to SPAM!

I'm suddenly feeling very ornery ... :?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I'd rather have K3 be centered around Revan and the Exile, but if it works it works.

I was seeing something more like the Exile and T3 arrive on Coruscant as the Exile informs the Jedi Council that she's off to chase Revan in the Unknown Regions. She goes there (without T3 although he knows where she went) and meets Revan. After this point I haven't totally formulated what happens after this but there could be an awesome lightsaber duel set to "Duel of the Fates". I'm not sure on how the outcome is, but neither one dies.

Then things take us to Tatooine where Carth and Bastila are gazing at the sunset. Bastila senses (with the Force) that something terrible just happened, and because of it's strength she begins to fear that it had something to do with Revan

Eventually they do some stuff (I haven't completely formulated what goes here yet)

You eventually see Revan and a Nihilus-mask-wearing Exile standing side by side in the ****pit of the Ebon Hawk (where you can either cut to the credits or have some big battle)

I kinda wanted to see K3 look like EP3...

Anyway, to the K3 I mentioned in the above quote, this could work, and it would be easy to novelize (something everyone probably wants seeing the demand to make Revan and the Exile part of the SW canon). Granted, it sounds more like a TC mod idea for either K1 or K2 for people too impatient to wait for K3, but it would make for an interesting K3.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

No there must be a K3, I want closure to the series not an opened ended book. A flawed one at that thanks to the ending of K2.

Youre never going to get that. IF, K3, against all odds, ends up getting funded and developed it will be released sometime in 2008 at the earliest(if production would start tomorrow) at which K1&2 will be long forgotten and so the devs will start over and so K3 will most likely have nothing except the brand name in common with previous games.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Request: In order to make bigger and dynamic worlds, use engines like the Unreal Engine 3.0.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No there must be a K3, I want closure to the series not an opened ended book. A flawed one at that thanks to the ending of K2.

Youre never going to get that. IF, K3, against all odds, ends up getting funded and developed it will be released sometime in 2008 at the earliest(if production would start tomorrow) at which K1&2 will be long forgotten and so the devs will start over and so K3 will most likely have nothing except the brand name in common with previous games.

If a developer uses that argument: "KotOR II was released 3.5-4 years, people have forgotten the story" as an excuse for making KotOR III without any continuation of previous KotOR's, then they're ignorant and in denial, possibly both.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

True, that is something to consider is its release date, which would be no later than, say 2007 (maybe a demo will hold the public over until then), but I doubt K1&K2 will be forgotten by then. The wait however will simply create added pressure for the developers to make a good game because the public won't wait for crap.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Sqenix have the right idea when it comes to franchise. No one complains that none of the FF games are continous (or even set in the same world). Ok exception is X-2 but you notice it's addon rather than the next FF (or it would have been XII).

If your going to do a franchise it needs room and tying the whole thing to a couple of character will not allow it that room.

It's going to be on a whole new system so it's not a case of just using the same stuff again (which they were able to do to an extent in KOTORII).

Most likely KOTOR III would start when NwNII is coming to close.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Are there really no other competent RPG development houses around? You'd think it wouldn't necessarily be limited to Bioware or Obsidian, but I honestly can't think of who'd possibly be doing it. Theoretically, it could be in development right now, if LucasArts decided to stick with this theme of switching developers.

Are there really no other competent RPG development houses around?  You'd think it wouldn't necessarily be limited to Bioware or Obsidian, but I honestly can't think of who'd possibly be doing it.  Theoretically, it could be in development right now, if LucasArts decided to stick with this theme of switching developers.

Since Galaxies took the robot factory idea away, that makes me question kotors future...

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I'm suprised no one's decided to make a K3 mod yet

DAWUSS

So I've mentioned this already, but I can't quite let it go because...

We got all the romances from previous installments and nothing to show for it?

What's the point, apart from dodging responsibilities( (w00t) ) ? :p

Another offspring of Knights of the Old Republic might as well be exactly that. No mention of past heroics or

(Signatures: disabled) 

Never thought I would hear the words Troika and competent in the same sentence..

With regards to offspring. The only game thats really gotten this right is Fire Emblem (think it was 4). The game was split into two parts , the first part with the original character, during which you could pair them up. Depending on those pairings you would then get a new cast of characters for part II of the game.

You could do it over the course of two seperate games but there would have to be someway to transfer infomation. And it would have to be part of the intent from the start. It does also leave the problem of what if you dont pair up ? Much like the death of Carth and Bastila ,as well as the obvious LS/DS male/female , meant having to account for all these possibilites which didnt actually extend the story of the second game in significant ways. So would having a myriad of possible offspring and parents included in the next game.

If it is to thrive in the way FF does (96 million ish) then KOTOR must break away from just identifying with specific characters and become regocnized in it's own right. Otherwise it will be trapped by it's own limitations and rabid fan expectations in the same way that Fallout has been.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Never thought I would hear the words Troika and competent in the same sentence..

I can understand that and felt the same way before reluctantly giving Bloodlines a try.

With regards to offspring. *snip*

To be or not to be that's a question for developers that fans like to answer.

Who knows what kind of results 'force bonds' can have on the opposite or same (ew) sex ...both in K1 and K2 and the Exile and Revan. Neither of us do, therefore it's completely open or?

(Signatures: disabled) 

To be or not to be that's a question for developers that fans like to answer.

Who knows what kind of results 'force bonds' can have on the opposite or same (ew) sex ...both in K1 and K2 and the Exile and Revan. Neither of us do, therefore it's completely open or?

Oh I dont have any problem with sex in the game. It's not like your going to get graphical jiggyiness anyway.

It's really a case of balancing people new to the series with people who have been following the series. Because Fire Emblem did it all in one game that wasnt something that it had to deal with. But if you take X-2 for example , then people who hadnt played FFX where just lost because most of the events directly related to those in FFX. Even the most basic one like Yuna missing Tidus lost most of it's meaning if you never played X.

If you look at FFXII (the new one) it has nothing to do with the events in X or X-2 which means that it's not going to alienate anyone because they havnt played the previous games.

478327[/snapback]

There's too much unresolved for a brand new storyline in K3 and to quickly wrap them up or leave them out entirely would be a disappointment to the two previous games, especially the second's bad ending

DAWUSS

There's too much unresolved for a brand new storyline in K3 and to quickly wrap them up or leave them out entirely would be a disappointment to the two previous games, especially the second's bad ending

You just kill off the two old characters job done.

There is a difference between a resolution and the resolution a particular person wants to see.

KOTOR III is going to be on a new system and will therefore be played by new people. It needs to be accesable to those people and since you could never reference the events of the previous games in detail without taking much away from the current game it's best to make a clean break. and this time make sure that the game has it's own identity and is not bound up with the characters. Do something VERY different like Squenix does each FF incarnation.

478327[/snapback]

There is a difference between a resolution and the resolution a particular person wants to see.

KOTOR III is going to be on a new system and will therefore be played by new people. It needs to be accesable to those people and since you could never reference the events of the previous games in detail without taking much away from the current game it's best to make a clean break. and this time make sure that the game has it's own identity and is not bound up with the characters. Do something VERY different like Squenix does each FF incarnation.

... and then a new player to the KOTOR franchise would wonder who the Exile and Revan are as they both end up dead, and then would probably become even more lost as to why they even were in the game when the main character is introduced. The whole game he'll wonder why one had to do with the other.

The Revan fanatics (some of you like to refer to them as fanboys) will become pissed the second he dies because they wanted him to be the "big gun" of the galaxy and have children with Bastila.

The other long-time KOTOR fans would become a little disappointed at the Revan-Exile conclusion, especially if it took two games to set the whole thing up and it doesn't end up being at the core of the game (especially if it ends up underdeveloped [see new player])

Now some would see a quick Revan-Exile wrap-up as a means to move on start with something fresh (unless they hear "Revan" and "Exile" so many times [in which case they may as well have been left alive]) as a new character in a new day, leaving behind all previously created characters (T3, Visas, Carth...) (where long-time fan would think this game really didn't deserve to be a 'KOTOR')

Granted, you're not going to please everybody, but who would you rather please, the long time fan or the newcoming gamer who may or may not even care that much about the previous KOTOR installments. Just a thought

DAWUSS

:D That would be nice and simple. "Died fighting against True Sith."

And stupid as hell <_<

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

With regards to offspring. The only game thats really gotten this right is Fire Emblem (think it was 4). The game was split into two parts , the first part with the original character, during which you could pair them up. Depending on those pairings you would then get a new cast of characters for part II of the game.

You could do it over the course of two seperate games but there would have to be someway to transfer infomation. And it would have to be part of the intent from the start. It does also leave the problem of what if you dont pair up ? Much like the death of Carth and Bastila ,as well as the obvious LS/DS male/female , meant having to account for all these possibilites which didnt actually extend the story of the second game in significant ways. So would having a myriad of possible offspring and parents included in the next game.

If it is to thrive in the way FF does (96 million ish) then KOTOR must break away from just identifying with specific characters and become regocnized in it's own right. Otherwise it will be trapped by it's own limitations and rabid fan expectations in the same way that Fallout has been.

The KotOR series can break away and start fresh after they finished the Revan/Exile story in KotOR III.

KotOR IV could be set 400 years after the events of the previous KotOR's, making a new start or even a new trilogy. Or even 6000 years later with the New Republic and with the Skywalker trilogy buried in history.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy