Taking turn base action out of RPGs...

Guest MacLeodCorp

Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RPGs should have turn base action?

• Yes, RPGs should be turn based.
    • No, RPGs should have a flow in action.
    • Some other resolution needs to be done.

;)
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You forgot the top-down view. Visc is a stickler for that kind of thing.

When I play D&D, I put my head in a brace so I can only look at the miniatures from one angle for the entire game.

Im ashamed but I actually broke down in a fit of maniacal laughter when I read that. It could have something to do with the fact that Ive been fiddling with Isometric level design the whole day.

:">

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I like both.

Exactly. Sometimes one is the best solution, sometimes the other. A turnbased Bloodlines would've sucked, while a realtime Final Fantasy wouldn't have been fun.

In the case of KotOR, I think both would work excellent, provided they were handled right. And it was.

Edited by Grunker

Fallout's SPECIAL system was wholly original, was it not?

Wholly original? I guess that depends on how you define that. It was based on GURPS.

Is that code for, "We couldn't get permission to use GURPS"?

Yep, but JE didn't work on FO, so no "we" (unless he was a tester or something that I wasn't aware of, but I'm pretty sure no)

I'd have to say turn based for games with a party of players, and non-turn for solo games. Dialog, obviously needs to slow down so everyone has time to read what's happening.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How about an RPG that has action/attack sequences that are not turn based, but maintain all the other customizations that make the core elements fun?

you mean like, real-time with pause? which, not coincidentally, nearly 90% of all rpgs are actually implemented with... ahem.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

How about an RPG that has action/attack sequences that are not turn based, but maintain all the other customizations that make the core elements fun?

you mean like, real-time with pause? which, not coincidentally, nearly 90% of all rpgs are actually implemented with... ahem.

taks

Think he means like real-time while, in the case of AD&D, still maintaining things like initiative rolls. Baldur's Gate and other games have that so...

Fallout's SPECIAL system was wholly original, was it not?

Wholly original? I guess that depends on how you define that. It was based on GURPS.

Is that code for, "We couldn't get permission to use GURPS"?

Yep, but JE didn't work on FO, so no "we" (unless he was a tester or something that I wasn't aware of, but I'm pretty sure no)

Informative.

You forgot the top-down view. Visc is a stickler for that kind of thing.

When I play D&D, I put my head in a brace so I can only look at the miniatures from one angle for the entire game.

What you do in your free time is not my concern. I was merely putting forth Viscy's probable stance on the subject. :-"

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I like both.

Exactly. Sometimes one is the best solution, sometimes the other. A turnbased Bloodlines would've sucked, while a realtime Final Fantasy wouldn't have been fun.

Someones not played FFXII :-

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

For me it's about two things.

1. Workload - how much do I have to accomplish in a given time.

2. Waiting - how long do I have to wait while the other side does the same thing.

Obviously if I have one character with few options lets use SW:BG as an example. Then thats not giving me a great deal I can easily handle that in real time.

Now lets say I have a squad of troopers (6) now I could not handle those six in the same time period. Which is why SW:BG gives AI control to your squads.

Waiting-Again SW:BG. There are a lot of units active in that game and most of the time your outnumbered by a significant ammount. Therefore you would spend more time waiting around than actually doing anything.

For example I read an entire novel in the time it took for enemies to take turns in Wiz 8 both due to a general slowness and an overall poor design which inflicted lots of "allies" on you. Allies in TB games just mean more waiting around. Much like a henchmen would in a game like Fallout.

I was playing Battalion Wars earlier today. Despite what people will claim it's quite simliar to Advance Wars in basic principle. Big difference is the learning curve. Took me about half an hour to get comfortable with the controls in real time and another half hour to be able to handle them under the pressure of combat.

However having done that the game offers things that AW (it's a good game) could never offer.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

For example I read an entire novel in the time it took for enemies to take turns in Wiz 8 both due to a general slowness and an overall poor design which inflicted lots of "allies" on you. Allies in TB games just mean more waiting around. Much like a henchmen would in a game like Fallout.

I watch movies!

But also while I understand your point re: Wiz8, since it is by far the most commonly heard complaint about the game, it doesn't bother me since I don't really have any desire to rush through a game to get to the end. I mean, if you're not enjoying the experience of actually playing the game, then you are probably wasting your free time in the first place.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I like both.

Someones not played FFXII :-

It's still turn-based is it not? Just a bit different.

I would have loved Bloodlines if it was turn-based also... I'm playing it right now, and the combat is just so lame. Feels like i'm playing GTA or some other generic hack and slash title.

I watch movies!

But also while I understand your point re: Wiz8, since it is by far the most commonly heard complaint about the game, it doesn't bother me since I don't really have any desire to rush through a game to get to the end.  I mean, if you're not enjoying the experience of actually playing the game, then you are probably wasting your free time in the first place.

It's not really a desire to rush. It's a desire to actually be playing and not watching. When it's story thats a different matter , but when its gameplay I want to play the game and not be watching it.

478327[/snapback]

It's still turn-based is it not?  Just a bit different.

I would have loved Bloodlines if it was turn-based also... I'm playing it right now, and the combat is just so lame.  Feels like i'm playing GTA or some other generic hack and slash title.

With the exception of the early ones and X FF was never turn based. The clock ticks along whether or not you act so if you dont act you die. What does happen if if you open a menu the clock will stop so you dont have to rush your menu selections. Although thats otional too you can have the clock carry on while your in the menus. Makes the game a lot harder especialy when your trying to time something intricate.

478327[/snapback]

It's not really a desire to rush. It's a desire to actually be playing and not watching. When it's story thats a different matter , but when its gameplay I want to play the game and not be watching it.

hmmm....but if you follow that train of thought to its logical conclusion that removes anything that is not player-controlled from the game, and really even unneccessary things like movement and animations since those take time and are not really actually neccessary to playing a game.

That seems a rather static and uninteresting canvas in which to interact with a game world.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

hmmm....but if you follow that train of thought to its logical conclusion that removes anything that is not player-controlled from the game, and really even unneccessary things like movement and animations since those take time and are not really actually neccessary to playing a game.

That seems a rather static and uninteresting canvas in which to interact with a game world.

Some waiting is inevitable, but in Wiz it was way over the top. My phase would take 30 seconds and theirs would take several minutes. But your more than likely at the crux of why games went real time. Or at least RWP (real time with pause).

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Some waiting is inevitable, but in Wiz it was way over the top. My phase would take 30 seconds and theirs would take several minutes. But your more than likely at the crux of why games went real time. Or at least RWP (real time with pause).

WIz8 is probably a worst-case example since I do think Linda Currie and her teams made a bad decision in trying to bring classic Wizardry gameplay into a full 3d environment without considering the ramifications of how fighting multiple large groups of monsters would play out when everything was now being moved and animated in full 3d. A style that worked OK in Wiz2 was suddenly problematic in the new world of 3d realtime movement and animations.

But back to the concept of waiting, I think the bigger question is are you waiting on inconsequential trivial stuff or stuff that matters. Suspense is built on waiting for something unknown that makes a difference. Mostly that's pretty interesting stuff.

WIz8 is probably a worst-case example since I do think Linda Currie and her teams made a bad decision in trying to bring classic Wizardry gameplay into a full 3d environment  without  considering the ramifications of how fighting multiple large groups of monsters would play out when everything was now being moved and animated in full 3d.  A style that worked OK in Wiz2 was suddenly problematic in the new world of 3d realtime movement and animations.

But back to the concept of waiting, I think the bigger question is are you waiting on inconsequential trivial stuff or stuff that matters.  Suspense is built on waiting for something unknown that makes a difference.  Mostly that's pretty interesting stuff.

Yes thats a very good point.

Nine times out of ten it's trivial stuff which you already know the outcome of and have already planned a counter for. The only things that will generally throw a spanner in the works is a time limit (which sort of goes against the whole TB thing) or something some extreme chance event.

I was playing the Hammer & Sickle demo recently (think I mentioned it earlier) but the tactics havnt really changed since Xcom.

478327[/snapback]