C++ for complete and utter beginners

Kaftan Barlast

Yes, Im attending a flashy Game Design program at University but as I do only Design/Graphics I dont have access to the programming classes and even if I did they would be much too high-level for me.

So Im looking for a website that can teach a complete n00b how to program C++

I have never done any programming before but I really want to learn.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

That's a shame, cos C++ is probably one of the worst langauges for beginners.

Tbh even when you grasp it you'd have to be anything but a nut to appreciate it's lousy syntax.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Why would you want to learn programming?

To have atleast a basic understanding of what the programmers are doing and what is involved in their work. As it is now, Ill just tell them that I want "this and that to do this" and what happens next is some kind of magic that I understand nothing of.

And why specifically C++?

Because that is the programming language we use.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ehh... how about some basic object oriented analysis and design methology first, then go about the specifics of your chosen language can express that ? :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

UML might give you what you need without making you learn a complete language: it is the language to explain programming without using the specific syntax of any particular programming language.

C++ is apretty steep learning curve, although you might be able to pick up a gist in a few weeks, you will not really give yourself much with that.

UML is relatively and comparitively simple in that it strives to explain the model that the programmers are trying to implement in code: if you understand that (and they should all be conversant with UML), then you can have a meaningful conversation with any programmers.

:(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes, Im attending a flashy Game Design program at University but as I do only Design/Graphics I dont have access to the programming classes and even if I did they would be much too high-level for me.

So Im looking for a website that can teach a complete n00b how to program C++

I have never done any programming before but I really want to learn.

I learned the basics from the first editions of the following two books back in the mid 90's:

C How To Program

C++ How To Program

If you're serious, I would learn at least the basicis of C before attempting anything with C++. Not that it's impossible to learn C++ without first learning C, it just seems to make things easier as far as the transition goes. Java is another good language to help ease the C++ learning curve.

Manty thanks everyone, but I took a look at several websites and Ive come to te conclusion that it is too complex for me to have the time and energy to get into right now on top of what we are already doing.

I should spend more time with MAX and Zbrush instead.

Programming is the practical manifestation of a discipline. It is not necessary or sufficient to know the details in order to grasp the structured method of thinking that bridges engineering with creative design. For example, most programmers should have a fair understanding of pseudo-code, and if you are able to speak in pseudo-code, then you're more than able to understand what goes on behind the scenes. In fact, add to that ability some knowledge of the low-level limitations, and you'd be set.

There are doors

UML is a good modelling tool, but I doubt I would want to have a conversation "in UML" while discussing game engine code. It is more suitable for high-level business modelling, rather than for describing general programming concepts.

Listen, braindead, who asked for your opinion, anyway?

If someone, who isn't an expert in programming, wants to communicate with a programmer, then a modelling language is arguably the best method of communication.

Don't display your ignorance as bias.

Speaking to a programmer one need to talk in conceptual terms, which is the point of UML. Learning a programming language is quite possibly the worst approach, as the non-programmer may just get completely confused with advanced programming techniques mentioned by the geeks, AND fail to be able to convey what is required because of the same lack of total language comprehension.

In short the artiste will not be able to describe the forest (any better than before he started learning a new language), for the trees (programming language particulars).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

To have atleast a basic understanding of what the programmers are doing and what is involved in their work. As it is now, Ill just tell them that I want "this and that to do this" and what happens next is some kind of magic that I understand nothing of.

I've read the whole thread a couple of times. I've got some experience and ideas as well, but I feel a strange itch, since something isn't quite obvious to me still...

Why don't you just talk with the programmers at your work and tell them of your curiosity? Make them tell you what books (programming, methods and terminology) they use. Maybe they would even let you watch them work and give you a few pointers as to how they work. That's what I would do.

(Signatures: disabled) 

UML is a good modelling tool, but I doubt I would want to have a conversation "in UML" while discussing game engine code. It is more suitable for high-level business modelling, rather than for describing general programming concepts.

Listen, braindead, who asked for your opinion, anyway?

Please meta, not in front of the children. :thumbsup: You're the authority figure and our final stand when it comes to quality posters. Don't sink, please.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

While I don't believe that C++ is any harder to learn than Java (it always depends on what you learned first), if you don't have any experience programming, why don't you try C#?

Because C# supports managed DirectX, you could work up to understanding what the programmers are talking about. C# also supports things that Java does not (like structs) that would help you to understand programs in C++. Plus, there are tons of tutorials out there that will teach you basic C# programming and lead you into DirectX.

Reality randomly made me take up my quest to learn programming today as we are making some smaller games in Flash using Actionscipt. This far Ive just taken a few tutorials and really tried to understand the code(by analyzing what does what and playing around and altering it) but it feels like a suitable first step into atleast comprehending some of the basics of programming

Edited by Kaftan Barlast