Join the Dungeons & Dragons(R) Online: Stormreach

metadigital

Fileplanet. Ugh....

Same goes for regular D&D-settings

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ah, same goes for me too.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'm downloading it at home, but I don't have a key yet. I guess they are doing the Stress Test in waves. I'm semi-excited about this game. I loved what Turbine did for Asheron's Call, and I liked parts of AC2, but that game let me down. My expectations are tempered by the fact WoW is still really the best MMORPG by a long shot.

Also, I love Fileplanet. I pay like $15 every three months for super fast downloads of all sorts of media. I don't know how that isn't worth it. It's also improved vastly over the years.

How fast? I easily get 200 kb/s from free sources. Half an hour isn't that much for 400 and some megs of content.

Edit: And you're a working citizen, aren't you? Major difference.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

I am a working citizen. If I wasn't, I wouldn't splurge on Fileplanet, but I also wouldn't have hostility towards the service. The speed is nice, but it's also about the ease of use, the fact it's pretty much never down, and having one place to go for this junk I download. I was a free downloader for many years before I subscribed to Fileplanet, but I've never regretted the change.

Although Fileplanet doesn't have everything. They need to be better about grabbing new game movies and making them available.

I was a free downloader for many years before I subscribed to Fileplanet, but I've never regretted the change.

Poor bud, you've never known anything better. :mellow:

kirottu said:

Just sprang to mind while thinking D&D... Anybody seen this?

http://volournthefatpig.ytmnd.com/

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Prejudices and ignorance is funny sometimes. It's actually turning out to be a damn good game. Though, you'll have the "They changed this!? IT's not D&D!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!"

If you want to play D&D Online the way D&D is written, imagine playing Temple of Elemental Evil with 3,000 players. You know that 6 second round? It'd take a while.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

I got on for a few minutes this morning. The character generation is just like NWN, so quite a bit of customization off the bat (and more character model choices, but I mean traits and all are the same.) I didn't get to play much, but the graphics are impressive. I am a bit worried about the combat pace. It's very real-timish, and I'm worried that will make it more of a clickfest then strategic use of skills.

I'll play more tonight and update.

Paying to play online is stupid. I bought the game, I paid enough money on it why screw me with online charges? I'll take NWN and Diablo any day.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Anyone who disputes monthly fees in a MMORPG has no understanding of how businesses are run. If you want access to high powered servers that are stable and tested for bugs, and also given new content on a regular basis, you have to pay for it. All MMORPG's have employees to pay every month they are in business. When other games are released, there might be a skeleton crew manning patches and tech support, but it's nowhere near the infrastructure of a MMORPG.

I actually ran a NWN server. It was neat, but it had its share of downtime and was far from stable. It was a hobby, not a business. When I play WoW I have much higher expectations.

I couldn't get on DDO last night. Super high traffic, but it is a stress test. At least they've extended the test so I can play until Friday.

Paying to play online is stupid. I bought the game, I paid enough money on it why screw me with online charges? I'll take NWN and Diablo any day.

We've been through this many, many times before. If you don't want a game with a full-time live development team, that's fine, and there are lots of games like that. Most RPG worlds do not have a full-time live development team and all but a few have no central server infrastructure. Many are multiplayer nonetheless.

However, if you want a world with a full-time live development team and active and available customer service, constantly adding content, maintaining storylines and tweaking balance while covering the costs associated with a massive central server infastructure more or less in perpetuity, they need to be paid money for their work.

Most MMORPGers complain incessantly about the lack of adequately reliable customer service and timely bug fixes and tweaks in their chosen MMORPGs. If these things are a concern as it is, removing the revenue stream which provides for them will not help matters.

I like my MMORPGs to have good regular content updates, timely bug fixes and tweaks and a reliable server infrastructure and customer service staff. I don't expect the money for those services to grow on trees.

I don't trust any product that offers me a costly and complex service in perpetuity at a nominal one-time fee. That's nonsense economics. I didn't believe it when the "one time fee - dialup for life" ISPs came about in the late '90s and crashed not long after, and I won't trust it now in the present.