Join the Dungeons & Dragons(R) Online: Stormreach

metadigital

Where've you been, Joe? We've missed you.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Go eat a dane, will you.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Hmm....well, that was actually a public service announcement that wasn't a waste of my time. I really liked that writer's review...mostly because it was funny.

I also hate FilePlanet...but since most of the time my information about new games comes from threads like these, thanks for the info. The game is something to keep an eye on when it comes out.

Although, it does sound like the combat interface/control system might be a bit too complex for my simple brain and reflexes. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

MMORPGs suck by their very nature.

exactly. MMORPGS appeals solel to the baser RPG instincts: looting and levelling. There really isnt much more than that to them.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

MMORPGS appeals solel to the baser RPG instincts:

*scratches her armpit and prances around like an ape*

Sometimes, I want intelligent and serious conversation. Sometimes, I just want to yuk it up. I see RPG's vs. RPG-lite's in that manner...neither 'suck', they're just for different moods & purposes. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Although, it does sound like the combat interface/control system might be a bit too complex for my simple brain and reflexes. :D

Presenting Acme brand hand-dandy brain-plus-plus®.

Have an exam you're worried about?

A driving test?

Want to make the sports team?

How about impress your date?

Just plug in your new hand-dandy brain-plus-plus®

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well I dont think NwN is a competition for a MMORPG, there are diferent beasts.

The problem with MMORPG comes from the player base, most players are simply trying to be "the best" and they have no interest on anything else, beside those come the players that just want to play ... they dont care about anything expect compleating some quests and all.

Very few want to roleplay and create a character that actually exist on the game world so eventually the game developers have no choice but to base their game for the biggest group and that means starting to push the PvP aspect of the game, make more grind and dont bother with the world.

Case in point is WoW ... their main push was PvP and more dungeons, quest stories are decent but there is not much a linked coherant storyline ... its impossible to play a Night Elf were the game only goes into Alliance/Horde mentality ... classes are almost as bad (but they stink) but millions play.

As for D&D ... they are pushing Ebron (or whatever) very hard as a setting and that makes me wonder how successeful it is on selling the campain D&D books, I did not had any interest on it when I was playing and even less that I was not ...

drakron.png

Pretty much ever MMORPG has a free trial. Also, if you buy the game, you can play as much as you want for a month before having to pay any subscription. Do y'all play many games for longer than a month? That's a pretty good window to decide if the game is worth it.

I do. I play games off and on. I'll either play it to completion than start a new game or I may grow bored with it, play something else, than go back to the one the made me bored.

Edited by MasterRevan

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

MMO devs need to start thinking "outside the box", the generic fantasy world where everyone is a hero doesnt work. The whole concept of what a MMO is supposed to be, needs to be redefined.

and IM the game design student that could do it :)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'd prefer if you just stayed in single player games when it comes to designing, Kaftan :D

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

There will be no re-designing of MMORPG's until the current model becomes less successful. Despite what seems to be the dominant opinion on these boards, the genre is extremely popular. You'll see only minor changes in the future of MMORPG's.

Why is it that in each and every thread that's even remotely close to the subject of MMORPGs, we have the same people stating the same tired opinions, over and over again. I fail to see the point of this.

Visc hates MMORPGs? Gabrielle doesn't want to "pay to play"? Darque played SW:G and loathed it? Woah, what a suprise!

Jesus christ.

Edited by Lord Tingeling

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

I heard about this game a long time ago.

Initially I was extremely impressed, everything about the game screamed that this one would be a winner. D&D has always been a decent franchise (The only horrible thing I can remember wearing the D&D title was that movie).

The more I learned about the game, the more I didn't like it.

For one, the areas are instanced... That destroys one of the greater aspects of any MMORPG. Those times when you pick on a monster that is far too tough for you, and a random traveler who eventuallys becomes your partner in crime saves you... Those times when you walk a bit too far from the starting town and a high level character has to bail you out, as well as share his experience with you... All those things are gone with instanced areas.

Even Guild Wars would have been able to keep it's luster for more then a week if it wasn't instanced.

So yeah, I'll give it a shot sure. But I don't expect to be impressed by this game at all.

Guess I'll stick to Final Fantasy XI a bit longer.

It's so you don't get 50 people all waiting for the same creature to spawn. That gets ugly real fast.

At the upper end of EQ you had to make an appointment to kill monsters.

It doesn't work though.

The reason 50 people would all be camping a single monster was for a great reward (either the drop itself, or the money for selling said drop).

If every single person has the same monster to kill, the reward for that monster will be worth nothing.

This also causes in-game economic problems, since their is a infinite amount of materials coming in. The value for items will be nothing.

I can understand special event (perhaps boss fights) being instanced, but the entire game? That's just silly for a MMORPG.