Pledge! Now!

Commissar

most prominent?

HA!

he wasn't even at the constitutional convention.

and if you wanna start listing stuff, go for it, but we will bury you with washington and jay and hamilton and madison and many many others... and more important, since all we got is drafts o' the amendments, we will buryyou with the ACTIONS o' the fldgeling government... put the FRAMER's words into context of what they did with'em.

jefferson were a brilliant man, but he hardly spoke for the majority o' the founders... and he weren't a framer.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

there is no duel. am not gonna simply throw out 100 quotes to prove you wrong. is a waste of both our efforts. maybe you want a list o' Court cases that you will not fully understand?

do yourself a favor and look at the actions of early post bill o' rights Court, Congress and Exec, 'cause a battle o' quotes will prove nothing, and you will still be wrong. am always amazed at how folks put so much stock in jefferson and madison quotes concerning establishment clause, while they happily ignore fact that the Congress that ratifies the Bill o' Rights opened with a prayer, and apportioned monies for christian missionary work into indian territory... and almost 150 years o' subsequent history.

*sigh*

and please try to get it through your head that jefferson were not a framer. he was not at the Constitutional Convention and he were not part o' the virginia delegation that ratified the bill of rights neither.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't mind duels. I just hate vendettas.

Anyhow, you can't deny that Jefferson was an inluential voice in American politics. The term "fringe politician" doesn't do him justice. I have to admit that many of his views were fringe at the time and some are still fringe today. Nevertheless, while he might not be a framer, he was the very least a founding father.

My gut instinct has always been to admire Adams more than Jefferson, but that's my right wing side showing. I haven't been in touch with the massive conspiracy for a while, but I assume it's still there and doing quite well. Thank God there isn't a similar left wing conspiracy. One conspiracy is enough.

As for the pledge, I have no problem with demanding that folks recite the pledge, but I think it should be reserved for solemn or special occassions. It's not a pledge. It's a ritual carried out so often and in routine circumstances that it's lost all real meaning.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

never denied founding father status o' jefferson... or his political influence. however, he was, at the time of the constitutional convention, viewed as something of a loose cannon and yeah, a fringe politician... and maybe a bit of a nut too. would never wear more than one suit, and would wear that until it wore out before getting a new one.

regardless, he were one guy... just one. his views hardly represented the Framer's intent as a whole.

HA! Good Fun!

to make the Phrase "under God" work one must also add "under Allah, Yahweh, Odin, Zeus, Osiris..." you get the point. This would achieve Religious equality to the best of our ablity. But because people don't want to give a speech when they say the pledge just remove the offending phrase...

And add "One nation, Killing God," :p

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

One nation. Under Mus.

...mmm.....

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Socializing? I don't think school does that. I never went to a private school in my life, and got a damned good education to boot. I certainly wouldn't say I was socialized, as I came out rather atheist despite being obliged to recite the Pledge every day. Which I really don't have a problem with, as I said; on the other hand, none of you should have a problem with allowing "under God" to be replaced by whatever the individual's beliefs happen to be.

Schools are one of the primary instituations of socialization. Right up there with family, as that's where kids spend large parts of their day interacting with other people.

If you somehow went entirely through school (whether public or private) without being socialized, then that would truly be an accomplishment (and inhuman).

man, i read that as 'one nation under urs meier'

i was about to go on a quest to kill you, good thing i read that again

"I have never doubted for a moment that I was right. Not for one moment." :)"

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

1 - Gromnir is right about Jefferson in all regards. He was considered on the outer fringes of politicians.

2 - The "Wall" of seperation may not have existed in the original intent (which we really can't debate their intent), or the original wording. However we have come to a point where people believe that is the case, and most accept it.

3 - Socialization of young people is one of the main goals of public school.

Learn in the streets! Teach people under trees!

kirottu said:

Fresh air! Birds!

kirottu said:

Folks sometimes say that the pledge isn't aimed at endorsing religion it is just a natural phrasing some folks used without any intent of prejudice.

But the history of the pledge makes it clear that the intent is prejudicial. Here is some info I have partially copied and partially paraphrased from a web site on the topic.

In 1953, the Roman Catholic men's group, the Knights of Columbus mounted a campaign to add the words "under God" to the Pledge.

A reported 15 resolutions were initiated in Congress to change the pledge.

They got nowhere.

Then Rev. George Docherty (1911 - ) preached a sermon that was attended by President Eisenhower and the national press corps on Feb 7, 1954. His sermon said in part: "Apart from the mention of the phrase 'the United States of America,' it could be the pledge of any republic. In fact, I could hear little Muscovites repeat a similar pledge to their hammer-and-sickle flag in Moscow."

After the service, President Eisenhower said that he agreed with the sermon.

Three days later, Senator Homer Ferguson, (R-MI), sponsored a bill to add God to the Pledge. It was approved as a joint resolution on June 8, 1954. It was signed into law on Flag Day, June 14.

President Eisenhower said at the time: "From this day forward, the millions of our schoolchildren will daily proclaim in every city and town, every village and rural schoolhouse, the dedication of our nation and our people to the Almighty."

So the intent of congress and the president is clear and the pledge is clearly unconstitutional - since it seeks to establish religion and possibly even Christian religion as a national dedication.

It is against the law.

And Christianity doesn't need bully boy help anyway.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

The history of a movement doesn't necessarily prove anything about the product of the movement. If the nazi party enacted a law prohibiting operating a vehilce while under the effects of alcohol, the law would remain reasonable regardless of the source. There is no better example than my own stance, which is that the pledge not be mandatory. I'm a Catholic and have no problem with the phrase "under God." So, while the movement to remove the phrase or change the pledge might find support among atheists, the end product of the movement, namely removing the phrase, is not necessarily anti-religious.

In fact, the words "under God" do not create a state religion, which is the only clear prohibition that I've seen so far. Since God encompasses the idea of divinity, it could just as easily serve as a reference for any other deity.

I think many atheists cannot help but approach the issue with overt hostility. That doesn't help their case.

Also, I'd like to know how many people in this thread are American citizens. It is not a prerequisite in order to comment on the issue, but I am curious as to how many folks from other countries feel compelled to comment on the pledge as it is spoken in the USA. I'm sure I'll get a few flames for bringing up the issue, but it's a legitimate question. It changes the issue from how Americans regard our constitution and the separation of church and state to the issue of church and state in general. Because, if I'm to listen politely to folks argue against the pledge in my country, I should expect folks from other countries to be equally polite in listening to me. Of course, if an American has strong opinions aboutanother country, he's arrogant. That's probably true. By the same token, a citizen of another country who feels compelled to express strong opinions about my country is open to the very same charge.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Who has not been polite or refused to listen to you? Why do you automatically assume that people will flame you and call you arrogant? Why are you always on the defensive? Is it because America is so often criticized these days that you begin with a defensive position to counter any possible arguments, perhaps even arguments noone had thought off before you mentioned them yourself ? ;)

On a topic note, seen with Danish eyes, even having a pledge in school is ridiculous, let alone having God included within it. (whom most of us doesn't worship). Now feel free to say something about my country, you arrogant bastard. ^_^

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

But under Mus is fine isn't it?

kirottu said:

Well, now that you mention it...

I am godlike, aren't I?

kirottu said: