Oldest PC game you still play today?

Bokishi

old games that i play or want to play:

tyrian 2k

caesar 2

castle of the winds (an old shareware game)

warcraft 2

diablo/hellfire

caesar 3

unreal tournament

diablo 2

icewind dale 1

torment

fallout 1/2

thats all i can remember.....

I still play Wasteland from time to time, but since I now know every password and secret in it by heart, it's not as exciting anymore. Still, a lot of fun and once in a (very) few while I dig up something new that I hadn't discovered before.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You should try to get your mits on the re-mastered Tie Fighter Collector's Edition. It works like a charm under XP.  :shifty:

That's the version I got. The one that runs with the XvsT engine, right? Still no music. :p

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Laura Bow: Dagger of Amon Ra

One of my favourites, too. :) But not one of the oldest.

Quest For Glory.

Great games, those ones.  There are other older ones that I've played recently, but that was more to see if I could make them run at all, rather than to actually play.  QFG are about the oldest ones I've got that still regularly make it onto my hard drive.

I played KQ1 recently - both the updates VGA version and the original. What I love about it is playing the series from start to finish and seeing how the games become more complex and the graphics change over the years. You get a similar effect with QFG.

DosBox fixes all runtime problems with QfG1-4, in my experience. I now have greater problems with DragonFire - I can never get past the dragon battle without a sound error.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I believe there are emulators for Sierra games just like SCUMMVM is an emulator for old LucasArts games.

There's two of them, but they haven't been updated in years and they currently only play the second generation Sierra games. Basically I want to run Gabriel Knight and it isn't supported.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

There's two of them, but they haven't been updated in years and they currently only play the second generation Sierra games.  Basically I want to run Gabriel Knight and it isn't supported.

Dosbox supports GK1, and I've run it without any errors. What problems did you have with it?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm currently on a Soviet play through of C&C Red Alert. :)

Have you ever gotten Red Alert to work in XP? I always have problems. :(

you run it in compatability mode. Only problem I've had is that the sound doesn't want to work right for me.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Panzer General. The first one. Endlessly amusing.

"Your first mission in operation Fall Weiss, the conquest of Poland, will be the capture of the twin cities of Kutno and Lodz before September 10th..."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Haha I still play Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2. And just for kicks, I play it on low res :D

I still enjoy the odd Dark Forces 2 game now and again, it is definatly a classic, used to love that game, in fact, i've still got a lot of time for it :wub:.

I also recently picked up a shareware version of Doom the other day, so have been playing that a little.

I played KQ1 recently - both the updates VGA version and the original.  What I love about it is playing the series from start to finish and seeing how the games become more complex and the graphics change over the years.  You get a similar effect with QFG.

DosBox fixes all runtime problems with QfG1-4, in my experience.  I now have greater problems with DragonFire - I can never get past the dragon battle without a sound error.

Yep. DOSBox is my friend. Prior to that I had to go through all sorts of contortions with MoSlo and/or GameWiz32 (old DOS memory editor that also had a very good implementation of a slow-down utility) to avoid those bloody runtime errors because my processor was running too fast for the game.... and that was after I went into my little-used Win98 partition.

I'm not so much into seeing the progression of technology, though. What I like about the QFGs is the quirky sense of humour, the characters... they're just fun games. I'm always a sucker for a well-developed setting, too, and those games had some of the best. Real earth-like elements mixed with fantasy... edutainment at its finest. :-)

Incidentally, I find it a little dismaying that the game I'm most looking forward to is the ADG remake of QFG2. :-

TIE Fighter was the best game ever.

You should try to get your mits on the re-mastered Tie Fighter Collector's Edition. It works like a charm under XP.  :thumbsup:

That's the version I got. The one that runs with the XvsT engine, right? Still no music. >_<

The music did add a key part. This Gamespot article (from when they declared TIE Fighter one of the Greatest Games of All Time) explains the different versions of the game and the whole issue with the iMuse music system. (Read the gray panel on the right - it's the part that talks about the version issues of the game)

I have a second, older computer that runs Windows 95, but I can't even get TIE Fighter to work on that anymore. I can't figure out the "Stack: Overflow" issue that plagued many TIE Fighter players.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

TIE Fighter was the best game ever.

You should try to get your mits on the re-mastered Tie Fighter Collector's Edition. It works like a charm under XP.  :thumbsup:

That's the version I got. The one that runs with the XvsT engine, right? Still no music. >_<

The music did add a key part. This Gamespot article (from when they declared TIE Fighter one of the Greatest Games of All Time) explains the different versions of the game and the whole issue with the iMuse music system. (Read the gray panel on the right - it's the part that talks about the version issues of the game)

I have a second, older computer that runs Windows 95, but I can't even get TIE Fighter to work on that anymore. I can't figure out the "Stack: Overflow" issue that plagued many TIE Fighter players.

I remember Stack Overflow! If I remember right, (I was about 9 so i doubt it) Stack:overflow meant that the game was trying to give itself too many commands at one time, and would end up overrunning the Buffer. Ususally I'd just Xout the MSDOS prompt that told me that and would restart, It'd work after five or six tries...

I wonder if we could convince the People at LucasArts to completly redo the old Xwing and TieFighter games, new engines but the old music. Maybe Rerecord the music for Quality. and rebuild cutscenes, that sort of thing...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Suckage. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If it is a "Buffers overflow" error, you can allocate more buffers in the config.sys file. Just change the existing

BUFFERS=5

or whatever it is to 100 or so. Don't go over (128 or 256) or you'll blow the top end.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I remember Stack Overflow! If I remember right, (I was about 9 so i doubt it) Stack:overflow meant that the game was trying to give itself too many commands at one time, and would end up overrunning the Buffer. Ususally I'd just Xout the MSDOS prompt that told me that and would restart, It'd work after five or six tries...

That sort of what I used to do. It was frustrating, but I would just restart the computer several times and as soon as Windows loaded, I would start the game. But even that won't work any more.

Never did figuer out what "Stack: Overflow" meant. Thanks. I went to the LA website several times, but it never did explain it well.

Still, it has been a while. Maybe I'll bust it out and give it another go...

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

If it is a "Buffers overflow" error, you can allocate more buffers in the config.sys file. Just change the existing

BUFFERS=5

or whatever it is to 100 or so. Don't go over (128 or 256) or you'll blow the top end.

That would be great! I'm going to try that...