Planescape: Torment

Aroid

It occurs to me that Planescape: Torment is very much like its hero, the Nameless One, in that every few months we have a reincarnation of the thread praising it as the greatest game ever made. And of course, being amnesiac, the thread is sure to point out and reiterate all the arguments that have been made for and against the game since its inception. Again.

Alas, I fear that PS:T will never discover True Death, but must wander the forums for all eternity, living the lives of countless fanboys. :D

There are doors

It occurs to me that Planescape: Torment is very much like its hero, the Nameless One, in that every few months we have a reincarnation of the thread praising it as the greatest game ever made.  And of course, being amnesiac, the thread is sure to point out and reiterate all the arguments that have been made for and against the game since its inception.  Again.

Alas, I fear that PS:T will never discover True Death, but must wander the forums for all eternity, living the lives of countless fanboys. :D

Probably. Maybe we should move on...but not to Bioware games. I only liked KOTOR. I don't like Bioware too much. I hated JA. Also not to TES either. They're not story driven games.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

It occurs to me that Planescape: Torment is very much like its hero, the Nameless One, in that every few months we have a reincarnation of the thread praising it as the greatest game ever made.  And of course, being amnesiac, the thread is sure to point out and reiterate all the arguments that have been made for and against the game since its inception.  Again.

Classics never die.

image002.gifLancer

ps:t did crap for interplay. sold well over time? at what percentage of original cost? over a substantial period of time, ps:t finally managed to break even. that is NOT a good business investment. for chrissakes, if you is better off having put the same money into a conservative mutual fund then you is not any kind of success.

in the real world, games got 2 quarters to make an impact. if they don't, then they is a Commercial Failure. in spite of fergie number fumblings, ps:t were a dog... a major release for interplay that ended up hurting the company... which is why he kept making iwd stuff instead of doing a ps:t or fallout sequel. like ps:t or don

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes but warts and all I still loved it :shifty:

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I wonder how many that proclaim PS:T greatness have actually play it ...

Honestly its not that great, the start of the game is incredible boring and it does not pick up much speed at the start, I bet a lot of people would be bored 2 hours after playing the game.

As a RPG its have almost non-existent customization, incredible bad combat, poor balance ...

Yes it have a story but then again so does Final Fantasy.

drakron.png

we suspect that pretty near 100% of the ones proclaiming its greatness played it... but as you know (and are wont to do often 'nuff,) folks often proclaim greatness of things just 'cause they likes it.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I actually never even finished PS:T, so I guess I can't be considered a gaming genius like everyone else here. I played it and enjoyed it, but it didn't trigger any ephinies (sp?) or help me reach some higher form of thinking.

I was wrong about IWD, but Baldurs Gate definitely came out before PS:T. I honestly don't think there would have been any PS:T without BG.

1. BG re-invigorated the whole fantasy, D&D setting, opening the door for Planescape.

2. It uses the BG game engine, I believe.

Classics never die.

What you mean is, the Torment will never end :D

The only "real" Torment is not having played another game like Planescape since 1999. It is no wonder that people repeatedly mention this game nostalgically in forums... Nothing else that has come out since really compares to it.

EDIT: And we might never get a game like Torment ever again for exactly Gromnir's/metadigital's reasons on profit motivation for companies. The unfortunate truth is that it is just not sound business to make another game like Torment regardless of how much a tiny niche market wants one.

Now *that* is the real Torment.

image002.gifLancer

since there are many peoiiple whoi doi noiiti have the ability toi appreciate the greatness oif planescape toirment.

Not sure I agree with this statement either. Not that I dislike PS:T. Matter of fact, I enjoyed it. But I'm not sure what you mean by "do not have the ability to appreciate". If you mean its complexity, I got it. I just don't herald it as much as others do.

I woiuild rather noiit expoiuind oini that statement.

Two things.

Roshan: Use extra I's much?

Aroid: This is an internet forum, composed of many differing views and styles. All (in most cases) are equally valid. Do not be so quick to attack someone in the future, should you desire a pleasant stay here. We have enough trolls as it is.

My keyboiaird is buisted.

I actually never even finished PS:T, so I guess I can't be considered a gaming genius like everyone else here.  I played it and enjoyed it, but it didn't trigger any ephinies (sp?) or help me reach some higher form of thinking.

I was wrong about IWD, but Baldurs Gate definitely came out before PS:T.  I honestly don't think there would have been any PS:T without BG.

1.  BG re-invigorated the whole fantasy, D&D setting, opening the door for Planescape.

2.  It uses the BG game engine, I believe.

Yes, buiit bg and pst were actuially develoiped simuiltaneoiuisly. Althoiuigh I see yoiuir poiint, after all, pst coiuild have been cancelled if balduirs gate tuirned oiuit toi be a failuire.

Honestly its not that great, the start of the game is incredible boring and it does not pick up much speed at the start, I bet a lot of people would be bored 2 hours after playing the game.

As a RPG its have almost non-existent customization, incredible bad combat, poor balance ...

I defend the FF series all the time, but Torment is one of the best stories I've seen in any medium.

You are grounded for a week.

ps:t did crap for interplay.  sold well over time?  at what percentage of original cost?  over a substantial period of time, ps:t finally managed to break even.  that is NOT a good business investment.  for chrissakes, if you is better off having put the same money into a conservative mutual fund then you is not any kind of success.

PS:T made profit.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The only "real" Torment is not having played another game like Planescape since 1999. It is no wonder that people repeatedly mention this game nostalgically in forums... Nothing else that has come out since really compares to it.

I played it and loved it, a few months ago. It was the most powerful and emotionally draining game I've ever played. Three times now I've started to replay it as an evil character and given up because I was I was dreading the emotional impact of playing some of the key moments as a heartless sod.

There was never another game like it. :blink:

EDIT: And we might never get a game like Torment ever again for exactly Gromnir's/metadigital's reasons on profit motivation for companies. The unfortunate truth is that it is just not sound business to make another game like Torment regardless of how much a tiny niche market wants one.

Not exactly like Torment, and not in the next few years, but I think the market for interactive stories will grow as the technology improves and more writers take an interest in the medium. Powerful storytelling will matter a great deal in the future.

If it take 4 years to make a profit though, is it successful?

No, it's not; at least, not financially successful. However, I wonder if Obsidian could have been founded and got two very prestigious projects (Kotor 2 and NWN2) without the critical success and acclaim of Planescape.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I defend the FF series all the time, but Torment is one of the best stories I've seen in any medium.

You are grounded for a week.

I'll agree to that. I'll also admit that's my subjective opinion, but what isn't is the following - PS:T is without a doubt one of the most intricate stories on any medium.

Not that is fact. If you don't agree, then;

1. You're a moron; or

2. You're an idiot.

PS:T is totally sweet and awesome and I STRONGLY encourage you all to love it with all your heart, soul & body (including your pee-pee).

And if you're not careful a ninja will jump through your window AND CHOP YOUR HEAD OFF without even hesitating.

So if your value your head, you might want to reconsider your decision Drak.

:blink:

manthing2.jpg

Sure, why not? Profit is profit.

Interplay probably would have needed instant big hit money...

You're ignoring opportunity costs.

Why spend the time and money making a game that will provide a profit in 4 years, when you can just put it into a mutual fund and make more money?

Long term profit is only profit in the eyes of an accountant, and only when looking at cost of production vs revenue of sales.

And if Interplay needed instant big hit money, then Planescape: Torment was definitely a failure.

Indeed. It was a very good game. But it was also extremely constrained in your being dragged along a given plot. Best Game Ever? Who cares? I prefer to ask what was it that made it good, and bad. So we can take those characteristics elsewhere.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Never cared for it. I prefer the BG and IWD games. Plus I have never been a fan of the Planescape world.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Asbest is the new silk when making those kind of comments on to a PS:T-thread. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds