Planescape: Torment

Aroid

PS-T is the only game that's ever elicited an emotional response from me. It's that bit with Deionarra in the mortuary. Som eof the dialogue, combined with the music just gets to me.

It's a matter of taste I would think. There's a lot of reading involved but for me, the level of immersion surpasses any other game I've played. PS-T was never about combat. It was never a hack n slash game.

It also has a "special place" for me because it's the game that introduced me to BIS. I often wish I could go to a hyponotherapist, have all memory of the game "wiped" just so I could rediscover it again.

December 2012 - Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online - http://www.winterwind-productions.com

Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

I often wish I could go to a hyponotherapist, have all memory of a game "wiped" just so I could rediscover it again.

A geek's dream.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I often wish I could go to a hyponotherapist, have all memory of a game "wiped" just so I could rediscover it again.

A geek's dream.

I thought geeks dreamed about the Fragdolls.

December 2012 - Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online - http://www.winterwind-productions.com

No cookies for you.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It occurs to me that Planescape: Torment is very much like its hero, the Nameless One, in that every few months we have a reincarnation of the thread praising it as the greatest game ever made.  And of course, being amnesiac, the thread is sure to point out and reiterate all the arguments that have been made for and against the game since its inception.  Again.

Alas, I fear that PS:T will never discover True Death, but must wander the forums for all eternity, living the lives of countless fanboys. :D

For as long as n00bz never search.

Never cared for it. I prefer the BG and IWD games. Plus I have never been a fan of the Planescape world.

Yes, but you votes KotOR 2 above Deus Ex:

Kotor 2 is the only option worth voting on.

so we are all capable of correlating your opinion to its actual worth.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'll agree to that.  I'll also admit that's my subjective opinion, but what isn't is the following - PS:T is without a doubt one of the most intricate stories on any medium.

Yes the story works ... if you manage to pass by the huge blocks of text, weak start, pacing issues.

I never said the story did not work but its not something new, I enjoy MGS2 story (unlike most Snake fanboys) and think it have a better pacing that PS:T.

A story alone does not make a game, PS:T have a lot of issues as a RPG and as a game.

drakron.png

I don't consider the huge blocks of text to be a detriment to the game, unless you just can't be bothered with reading.

I also like the slow beginning because quite frankly, I wouldn't expect anything else from TNO given his circumstances at the beginning of the game.

If I had a choice between PS:T and MGS2, I'd definitely pick PS:T.

Yes the story works ... if you manage to pass by the huge blocks of text, weak start, pacing issues.

Reading can be fun if the text is interesting - and it was. The start was weak if you like combat, strong if you like stories, characters and mysteries. I thought it was excellent and did a great job of drawing me into the story. The pacing I didn't notice because I was so immersed in the story, though should I ever manage to replay it I might get a better feel for it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I happen to thing waking up on a slab with a talking skull hovering near-by is a better opening than starting as a party of adventurers in an inn. Back when I played PnP... well... every bloody adventure seemed to start in an inn.

In many cases PS:T text was redundant, the same could be said with less words.

And the start was weak period, not only about combat but about everything ... it dragged for too long and it was not interesting in the slightest.

Yes it does "build up" at the end if you go down a particular path ... problem is it only builds up if you go down that path, there were other ways to get out of the mortuary that would bypass that part.

And MGS2 have more issues that PS:T and some rather more complex ... PS:T was simply "what can change the nature of a man" as MGS2 was "who am I? why/what sould I fight for? what is my legacy?" and MSG2 have a far better pacing.

drakron.png

In many cases PS:T text was redundant, the same could be said with less words.

And the start was weak period, not only about combat but about everything ... it dragged for too long and it was not interesting in the slightest.

Yes it does "build up" at the end if you go down a particular path ... problem is it only builds up if you go down that path, there were other ways to get out of the mortuary that would bypass that part.

And MGS2 have more issues that PS:T and some rather more complex ... PS:T was simply "what can change the nature of a man" as MGS2 was "who am I? why/what sould I fight for? what is my legacy?" and MSG2 have a far better pacing.

Planescape toirment coiuild hardly be coiinisidered to have a weak start. In fact its starting loiciatioini was oiniei oifi the best in roleplaying histoiiry. Unlike candlekeep, oir irenicuis duingeoiin, which were basically boiriing areas that were devoiiid oif roiileplaying oippoirtuinities, the moiirtuiiary in planescape oiffered a huige amoiiuiint oif roiileplaying oiptioins.

Juist escaping froiim the moiirtuiiary, foir example:

1. Fight yoiuiir way oiuit

2. disguiiise yoiuirself as a zoiimibie

3. disguiise yoiiuirself as a duistman

4. snap the duistmans necks throiuiigh dialoiguie (requiires high dex)

5. Ruiin oiuit

6. Bluiff the duistmen guiards with infoi acquiiired froiimi dhall/deioinarra

7. hide froiimi the duistmen

I doiuibt that any starting area in rpg histoiry had as many roiileplaying oiptioins.

There are alsoi nuimeroiuis secrets toii be discoivered assoiciated with the different coiiirpses and skeletoiins, nuimeroiuis things toii learn aboiuit the planescae setting and the duistmen philoisoiiphy, cluies toi uincoiver aboiuit yoiuir past, meeting deioinarra, and many oippoirtuinities toi choioiise between evil oir goioid and chaoitic oir lawfuiil oiptioins, and even neuitral oines.

Toirments start coiiuild hardly be coinisidered weak. It was oine oifi the best starts ever.

Guest Fishboot

I think it was a pretty good introduction if you're coming into Planescape from a dead stop - the Dustmen are interesting enough to be expounded on and the art and a lot of the hover text descriptions were interesting and atmospheric. However, I absolutely can't get through it when replaying, now that I know what the Dustmen are about and know how the recovered memories work. I'm sure there's some stuff backloaded into the game that I've forgotten or never noticed in my playthrough, but I can't chug through the setup portion where you get out of the mortuary, do the Pharod dance and meet all of the (fairly dumb) D&D alignment-derived factions.

A geek's dream.

Actually, a hypnotherapist could do that for you. I find it especially apt, in the case of PS:T, since this would give you a fantastic feeling of half knowing what was happening to you. :geek:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That Deionarra voiceover coupled with the music was spot on.

As was meeting Morte for the first time.

kirottu said:

Indeed, I find myself completely at odds with those who believe the beginning to be a weak point in the game.

Meeting Morte and Deionarra for the first time? These were, respectively, delightfully comedic and powefully tragic events of almost unmatched quality, both of which occur in that early section. I really do think meeting Deionarra for the first time was my most emotional moment, ever, in gaming. Certain moments in Grim Fandango might approach it, but not with anywhere near the atmosphere Torment provided.

So, as for the Mortuary and the game's beginning, I consider it a high point in the game. Certainly not a low point. There's as much interesting dialogue in the Mortuary as anywhere else in the game.