The Thread of Stupid Yet Neat Things

Shadowstrider

A bit bored, thought it'd be cool to start a thread where you post stupid factoids that you find interesting.

For example... Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Wow...it's true. Got taht etnrie tinhg, no prboelm.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Astronimers (and I use the term loosely) found Victor Meldrew's face in the night sky.

http://www.megastar.co.uk/meganews/news/20...zY2NzA3NDE.html

I thought, 'WOW'

then I thought 'There's about billions of stars up there. You could connect up any stars, and find the outline of any person if you wanted to'.

The silly season of tabloids...

For example... Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

One of the speedreading dudes said that the reason we can't normally read fast is that we've been trained to read words one by one. Basically we're first taught the alphabet then taught to read them in groups - a word. However we're not encouraged to "expand" to read more than one word at a time when going the further step wouldn't be as hard as it would be now that we're used to reading single words.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

While the vast majority of English words are derived from Latin or Greek, English remains a Germanic language. That's because the core vocabulary in English, the most common words in the language, are Germanic.

Also, did you know that much of English grammar is intentionally patterned off of Latin grammar? That's why we have silly rules such as the prohibition against split infinitives. In Latin (and Greek) an infinitive is one word and cannot be split. To boldly go or to go boldly, that is the question.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I couldn't read at all until the age of five, then came across a copy of the Hobbit, and taught myself to read it! :ermm: Maybe this is why I read so fast now?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A bit bored, thought it'd be cool to start a thread where you post stupid factoids that you find interesting.

I like that, I didn't know that!

I wonder if there is some connection with dyslexia and some people's inability to write letters in the correct order ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I always thought it was weird that no one can lick their elbow.

Wha du ya 'o? ith's twu!

Actually, I know a guy who can do that! :p And I didn't even believe him until he actually showed me.

but can he lick his eyebrows? o:)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Pheh. We Swedes just put two dots over the A to get our sweet

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Doofus, Daedalus is Greek. The Romans use the word Daedalus, but Latin, especially as written today, uses a distinct A and E. Don't take it from a classicist. I see what you're saying, but my point is that you're not writing it in the original Greek anyhow, so what difference does it make?

So, Daedalus is generally the way one sees the name written in modern works. Even modern works written in Latin, such the Aeneid.

What all this has to do with brunettes is beyond me, except that Daedalus probably preferred brunettes also.

EDIT: heh heh. "Modern works written in Latin" Okay, that is to say a modern publication of a Latin work.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

A crocodile's sex is determined by the temperature, hot is a female, cold is male and a medium temperature can sometimes hatch a litter of hermaphrodites(so I'm told, don't hold me to that one).

Clown Fish change their gender depending on the amount of males or females present in the area at a certain age.

Sharks can throw up their own stomachs when frightened.

Some species of Sharks like the Sand Tiger(Grey Nurse to all you aussies) cannibalize one another in the womb.

Snakes and sharks do not have eyelids, but infact have something called a nictating membrane that slides over the eye in order to protect it.

One of the longest creatures in the world is a Sciphonophore, it lives in deep oceans and specimens up to 88 meters in length have been found. They are in fact a colony of jellyfiish-like organisms that form a much larger functional organism with a stomach, muscles and even primitive eyes.

In Sweden there's a forest of pine trees that all share the same root and has been disputed to be one of largest living organisms.

The oldest living organism is a tree in Tasmania. It takes up an entire mountain, and has been alive since the last ice age (c. 10-12k years).

Barramundi, a type of fish, starts off as a male freshwater (river) fish, then grows up and out, to become a female saltwater fish. (Not sure how they end up mating; probably through a turnstile).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hey, you know the real reason I don't use a cool digraph is becaue I don't know how to make one! :blink:

heh heh

Anyhow, I find the idea of a living organim living for thousands of years fascinating. It's amazing to think that it has lived through every known kingdom of mankind. It is humbling, I think, to know that our lifespans are so short by comparison.

Obsidian Plays

Hey, you know the real reason I don't use a cool digraph is becaue I don't know how to make one!  :blink:

Just copy and paste from one of Meta's posts. ;)

(a ligature, I think it is - a digraph is any two letters which represent a single sound, like sh or ch)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Doofus, Daedalus is Greek.  The Romans use the word Daedalus, but Latin, especially as written today, uses a distinct A and E.  Don't take it from a classicist.  I see what you're saying, but my point is that you're not writing it in the original Greek anyhow, so what difference does it make?

So, Daedalus is generally the way one sees the name written in modern works.  Even modern works written in Latin, such the Aeneid.

What all this has to do with brunettes is beyond me, except that Daedalus probably preferred brunettes also.

EDIT:  heh heh.  "Modern works written in Latin"  Okay, that is to say a modern publication of a Latin work.

I'm not sure which bit of my post you failed to understand:

[*]Daedalus comes to English from the Greek myth (Icarus's Father), via the Latin (as with all classics): [Latin daedalus, from Greek daidalos.].

[*]the

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hey, you know the real reason I don't use a cool digraph is becaue I don't know how to make one!  :blink:

heh heh

Anyhow, I find the idea of a living organim living for thousands of years fascinating.  It's amazing to think that it has lived through every known kingdom of mankind.  It is humbling, I think, to know that our lifespans are so short by comparison.

It's easy, just publish a text file (i.e. load it into your favourite browser) with the html codes:

Æ æ Œ œ

to get:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

What I'm saying is that, while you can use one character for the sound, Latin and Greek does not. Daedalus is a Greek word in which two vowels combine to make a diphthong. Same with Latin.

The funny thing is, in academic settings, Daedalus is pronounced like Day delus, Dead alus, or deed alus. That's even among folks in the field who all know very well it was originally pronounced DIE-delos.

So, to get away from the interesting but superfluous information, my point is that Daedelus is the most common spelling of the name. That's just a fact. Of course, I'm probably looking at it from a different perspective. On the other hand, it's not like folks don't recognize the name in either form.

Obsidian Plays

Without going into the thorny area of pronunciation (i.e. whether the ae is a digraph or a diphthong, even though the three pronunciations you quoted are all digraphs :) ); there is little agreement between scholars with more letters after their names than in the Greek, Latin and English alphabets combined; I would just like to point out two things:

1. Just because something is common, does not grant it correctness.

2. You did not say "'Daedalus' is the most common spelling", or anything like it; you said I was wrong to use the

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

First of all, I refuse to issue myself a warning. It's simply un-American.

Second of all, I the letter combination creates a diphthong. It's ah ee. At least it is in Greek. A digraph is a single sound.

Anyhow, I didn't say you were wrong. I said, "[ b]y the way, it really is D A E D A L U S, unless you're using Greek script. Unfortunately, we can't use the Greek font on this board." HA! So there!

Finally, I mean the word doofus only with the utmost respect. :D

Obsidian Plays