Doom 3

Bokishi

Actually; if you con't count the thematic elements used(demons, hell, one man army, etc) the plot was suprisingly good for an old-skool fps.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"Yep, and puddles are deeper than salt pans. I still would rather swim in the ocean."

I like lakes better myself.

Still, that makes you pretty much wrong on the story part and you being wrong on the gameplay part was already established before, no?

"Pwned."

A bit too hasty, I'd say. It's not like I've been arguing that Doom 3 had a deep and interesting story, but that it has a one while the originals didn't.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

"Yep, and puddles are deeper than salt pans. I still would rather swim in the ocean."

I like lakes better myself.

Still, that makes you pretty much wrong on the story part and you being wrong on the gameplay part was already established before, no?

No, because I played the original Doom, and Doom 2 and Doom 3. And they were as near as, damnit, the same tired and boring story. I.e. NONE.

;)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

True art of bickering.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Well... I'm going to intterupt and say I liked the soul cube. Ressurection was not as good but at least we got a double barrel shotty. The new artifact was horrible, it just slow's down time! And it takes a while to figure out what to do at some points and you go through several of the same areas.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well... I'm going to intterupt and say I liked the soul cube. Ressurection was not as good but at least we got a double barrel shotty. The new artifact was horrible, it just slow's down time! And it takes a while to figure out what to do at some points and you go through several of the same areas.

Wasn't that bullet-time rip-off called "D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

And yet 90% of games are optimized for nVidia because up until recently, they had a much larger pull with devs than ATi, regardless of performance. 

I guess you're just not used to it sucking for you? 

And actually, the stuttering you're describing is a bug, has to do with the loading of the textures/sounds.  I can dig up some fixes that will alleviate it quite a bit, especially if your machine has a large amount of RAM.  I used them to make Half Life 2 purr like a kitten on my rig.

Query: Do these patches make a difference to those of us who do not have performance issues? I have 1GB of RAM and a Radeon Fire Mobility T2 with 128MB VRAM (I think that's equivalent to a 9700), and I never noticed any stuttering.

Would it make my installation even more TEH R0Xx0rRRzZZ1Z ?

Last time I was on the Valve boards (which has been awhile) the patches didn't do anything to fix the stuttering for a lot of people. So I hunted down the optimization code edit, got my game working pretty alright, and never installed any of them. No reason to really, my game was working, and there's no reason to patch for online play because of the cruddy connection I have, not to mention the problem of downloading the ever increasing in file size patches on the cruddy connection I have. <_<

Yeah, they certainly aren't shy about the Half-Life footprint: last time I checked (with all the back catalogue installed) it was upwards of 12GB (including all of the co-op and mp), or something totally ludicrous like that. My imstallation currently stands just under 6GB!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I enjoyed Doom 3. The gameplay was repetitive and it got a bit predictable but it had a real sense of atmosphere, heightened by the way it gave you hints about where you were going and what you were going to face, and all the extra bits and bobs (the movies, the emails, the what have you) that they included to make it feel as though the Mars Base really existed. They could have done the scariness aspect better, but it had its moments (although none as good as the lights-out corridor in Unreal.)

The later weapons were truly awesome too :D

Played a couple of levels of the expansion and gave up in disgust. The same gameplay but none of the atmosphere-building or the sense of place -- it felt as though they'd just chucked some random levels together without a story -- and instead, rip-off city (gravity gun? bullet time? Gah.) They kept the bad bits, threw away the good bits, and added worse bits. >_<

I also enjoyed Half-Life 2. Overall it's better (less predictable, less frustrating, more varied). The difficulty level wasn't thought out so well, though. Doom 3's is just right: it's very consistent. Half-Life 2 was generally too easy with sudden flips into hard and frustrating (usually the "defend a location" type missions: not enough health) that made it a pain to try playing it on the harder difficulty levels.

(Note I used the past tense, I find none of these FPSes have much if any replay value...)

I just played the demo of F.E.A.R. and it's looking really really good, although I'll need a new PC... Thought Doom 3 was hard on the system? Wait until you try this one :o

I'm going to have to buy the expansion. Not being forced to run STEAM everytime I boot my computer makes DOOM3 a great choice, although I played and enjoyed both game greatly upon release. I think HL2 was a better title, but I liked DOOM3 quite a bit.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm going to have to buy the expansion.  Not being forced to run STEAM everytime I boot my computer makes DOOM3 a great choice, although I played and enjoyed both game greatly upon release.  I think HL2 was a better title, but I liked DOOM3 quite a bit.

Doom was great for while. Then it just was yet-another-dark-corridor-to-walk-down-and-have-a-baddie-materialise-behind-you type thrill ...

You can opt out of Steam conecting to the internet after the initial installation: just load the game in Offline mode. >_<

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, But for me HL2 won't install. the third disk is being Difficult and then Steam won't recognize my CD Key.

Yeah Doom 3 was a bit repetitive. But I prefer Repetitive over utterly psycotic in terms of difficulty. (going through the "bio Labs", where they have the lighted tank for you to move with, alone comes to mind. But if you have friends in the room or on a lan you could get the Last Man Standing Mod. Then things get less annoying because you gots yourself a small fire team going through there.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"Yeah, But for me HL2 won't install. the third disk is being Difficult and then Steam won't recognize my CD Key."

If you paid money for it, you can acquire it through other means without any reasonable ethical restraints, should the copy you received fail to work. Do it.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

On that point; would someone perhaps know how to "acquire" VtM:Bloodlines? I managed to scratch my install/start disc unplayable; and would very much like to play it. PM me, mmkay?

kirottu said:

I still have my review copy of Bloodlines lying around. I could sell it to you! For lots and lots of euros.. sweet euros..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

the first time i saw a pinky (does anyone else call them pinky's, or just me and my brother?) scared the crap outta me :(

i saw it jump down and then it started to try and bust down the door. so i was sitting there aiming my gun at the very bent door, when all of a sudden the pinky comes flying in through the window!

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!