Doom 3

Bokishi

Guest Fishboot
the first time i saw a pinky (does anyone else call them pinky's, or just me and my brother?) scared the crap outta me  :(

Well, everyone on Earth called the "demon" enemy in Doom 1 and 2 pinkies, since they looked like bright pink shaved gorillas with big mouths. In the Doom 3 version they were still nominally pink (although it was a more fleshy, pale pink) they were about half grey metal cybernetics, so the pinky name seemed more like a carryover than an organic name.

Also you might want to put spoiler tags around the thing you brought up, since that's one of the game's good scares.

THat was about the only time in the game I really was freaked out. Damn fun too.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Damn I hate alt-nicks. <_<

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Maybe I'll give Doom 3 another try.

Like many people, I found its scripted events more annoying than interesting.

The tactical side of a 3D shooter's design should add to its immersivity. If you're fighting an army of monsters lurking everywhere, their behaviour should add to the sense that they really are an army of lurking monsters.

Doom 3's tactical side adds to little more than the sense that you really are trying to avoid a series of predictable scripted events that some programmer put there without half a thought. I'm not fighting an army of enemy monsters, in my head, when I'm playing. I'm fighting a bunch of digital tripwires which some programmer has strewn all over the floor. And that shouldn't be the sense a game gives.

Just berserk everything except Hell Knights/Pinkies with chainsaw. 'Nuff said.

kirottu said:

Kinda off-topic here, but what do you mean there?? Either berserk everything except Hell Knights and Pinkies, which you kill with a chainsaw instead, or berserk everything except HK's and Pinkies with chainsaws??! :thumbsup: That really confused me. I hope theres no pinkies with chainsaws, they'd just pwn.

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/490/4...id_1183839.html

If someone hasn't seen the Doom movie trailer. The movie looks almost exactly like Doom 3. I wonder if it's as predictable and boring too..?

I'm scared of it because not only does it have the Rock in it, but it doesn't even take place on mars

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Kinda off-topic here, but what do you mean there?? Either berserk everything except Hell Knights and Pinkies, which you kill with a chainsaw instead, or berserk everything except HK's and Pinkies with chainsaws??! :( That really confused me. I hope theres no pinkies with chainsaws, they'd just pwn.

Much to think and no sleep make Jaakko a dull boy.

Everything else except HKs/Pinkies dies just by sawing them to death. Going one-on-one against a HK or a PInky just results in an early death.

kirottu said:

No... I think you could grab a chaingun with that saw to fight the HellKnight. Or a shotgun. Shotguns are nice.

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/490/4...id_1183839.html

If someone hasn't seen the Doom movie trailer. The movie looks almost exactly like Doom 3. I wonder if it's as predictable and boring too..?

I'm scared of it because not only does it have the Rock in it, but it doesn't even take place on mars

Have you watched the trailer in that link?? :)

The doom movie looks crap IMO, i've heard it has nothing to do with the actual game/s since it is about mutations instead of the gates to hell opening up and letting demons out. Also its got S.W.A.T -type teams in it all the way through, instead of just the one DoomGuy. Kinda makes me think it will be like the first RE movie :(.

At least the First RE movie had an explanation why it didn't follow the Games plot.

Also I had thought they were on some deep space research station. It was somthing I had seen on IMDB. Guess I stopped reading after "Research Station"

If this is scarier than this, I conclude that the game with the graphics from the second screenshot must have some pretty poor design.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Graphics alone don't make a game scary.

Especially seeing as it's the unseen enemy that scares me more than the seen enemy.

That's my whole point...

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

A good scary game relies very heavily in the use of atmosphere. Sound, lighting (total absence of light is not lighting, it's "darkening"), and level design play a huge role in that. Music too, if used very sparingly and at key points. The enemies themselves don't need to be numerous nor aesthetically repulsive. But they need to be able to keep you on edge. AvP and AvP2 are probably the only games that have been able to keep me on edge every single second on the first playthrough.

Doom 3 does none of that. It just has ugly monsties and overuse (the understatement of the year) of dark areas. It had pretty graphics too, I guess. :wub:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Thief :geek:

kirottu said: