What's your favorite colour?

Bytor

It's not colloquial or idiomatic.  If this was the case, you wouldn't find the term used in formal english, when you quite clearly do.  The term black as used to describe the colour is not used only in spoken English or in written English attempting to imitate speech.  In fact, the term black as used to describe the absence of colour is used almost solely in the Sciences.  It is the technical term for the colour which "black clothes" are.  Here, on the label of the T-shirt I'm wearing it says:

"T-Shirt

Small Adult

Black"

In the clothing industry, T-shirt is the technical term for the clothing this label is attached to.  In the clothing industry, Small Adult is the technical term for the size of T-shirt this label is attacked to.  In the clothing industry, black is the technical term for the colour of T-shirt this label is attached to.

EDIT: Oh, and not forgetting the technical name in HTML for the hex triplet #000000 - Black.  Looks like it's a technical term there too...

Similarly, technically, Nero is the Italian for black, but your argument would have us believe that the Italians say "black"!

How on earth does my argument have you believe that? I truly cannot fathom how you would come to such a ludicrous conclusion! If this is how you wish to play it, your argument would have us believe that it technically isn't Italian for Black, because almost every Italian speaker on the planet, speaking both formally and colloquially uses the word "Nero" to mean "very, very, very dark grey"!

Tell me, mets, what does the word "cleave" technically mean? Does it technically mean "To split with or as if with a sharp instrument" or " To adhere, cling, or stick fast"? Or could it maybe be that both are valid and correct definitions?

Listen, I mentioned that there wasn't a true "Black" colour merely for your edification, and after this aside I continued, thus:

... Irrespective of historical chomatics, however, you are trying to insist that because there is a general meaning for the word black, that there is not a specific technical meaning for the word, as well. Which is patently nonsensical. Would you insist that a Mole of Gold is a small furry mammal, too? ...

Hence why I stated that "Irrespective of historical chomatics, however, you are trying to insist that because there is a general meaning for the word black, that there is not a specific technical meaning for the word, as well. Which is patently nonsensical." BLACK is technically, not idiomatically (as in the clothing industry), the absence of colour.

If you want to bastardize "technically" to include the clothing indutry, then that is your perogative.

But then you are just playing semantics with "technically", instead of "Black". I can do that too, but it is pointless. Technically, as in in science, the term BLACK is not a colour but the absence of colour.

It was Launch's statement, that I backed up, that explained the specific semantic definition of "BLACK", and used the terminology "technically".

It was your exclusive definition that precludes this specific definition on principle.

You are not going to convince anyone that there is not a technical term, called BLACK, that is defined as THE ABSENCE OF COLOUR. Hence "Black Holes": or are you suggesting that these are just the same colour as your tee-shirt ?

Right, so the term "black" exists as a technical term. (I can't think of another way to describe the specific use of a word in a reference about the imploded remnants of a solar explosion that resulted from the gravitation force being stronger than the energy produced in that explosion, delineated by the Chandrasekhar limit.) Technical.

So, technically, there exists a definition for the word "black" that equates to "the absence of colour".

Now it is your contention that because you can provide a "technical" definition of "black" that includes it as a colour (and you provide the rag trade as your star witness :blink:) therefore "technically" black is a colour.

But even using your perverted logic, there is still a technical scientific (which I would argue is a more correct use of the word "technical", and probably so would you if you weren't trying to worm out of an obvious error on your part) definition of "black" that means "the absence of colour". This is why I used the argument for a different term for black (Italian).

So, either way, you are wrong.

Q.E.D.

PS The homonyms cleave, even though they originate from the same root, do in fact mean both to seperate and to cling.

Just as "derivative" can mean the subject that is derived, or the root of the derivation.

And, my personal favourite, "sanction" means both to allow and prevent.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's not colloquial or idiomatic.  If this was the case, you wouldn't find the term used in formal english, when you quite clearly do.  The term black as used to describe the colour is not used only in spoken English or in written English attempting to imitate speech.  In fact, the term black as used to describe the absence of colour is used almost solely in the Sciences.  It is the technical term for the colour which "black clothes" are.  Here, on the label of the T-shirt I'm wearing it says:

"T-Shirt

Small Adult

Black"

In the clothing industry, T-shirt is the technical term for the clothing this label is attached to.  In the clothing industry, Small Adult is the technical term for the size of T-shirt this label is attacked to.  In the clothing industry, black is the technical term for the colour of T-shirt this label is attached to.

EDIT: Oh, and not forgetting the technical name in HTML for the hex triplet #000000 - Black.  Looks like it's a technical term there too...

Similarly, technically, Nero is the Italian for black, but your argument would have us believe that the Italians say "black"!

How on earth does my argument have you believe that? I truly cannot fathom how you would come to such a ludicrous conclusion! If this is how you wish to play it, your argument would have us believe that it technically isn't Italian for Black, because almost every Italian speaker on the planet, speaking both formally and colloquially uses the word "Nero" to mean "very, very, very dark grey"!

Tell me, mets, what does the word "cleave" technically mean? Does it technically mean "To split with or as if with a sharp instrument" or " To adhere, cling, or stick fast"? Or could it maybe be that both are valid and correct definitions?

Listen, I mentioned that there wasn't a true "Black" colour merely for your edification, and after this aside I continued, thus:

... Irrespective of historical chomatics, however, you are trying to insist that because there is a general meaning for the word black, that there is not a specific technical meaning for the word, as well. Which is patently nonsensical. Would you insist that a Mole of Gold is a small furry mammal, too? ...

Hence why I stated that "Irrespective of historical chomatics, however, you are trying to insist that because there is a general meaning for the word black, that there is not a specific technical meaning for the word, as well. Which is patently nonsensical." BLACK is technically, not idiomatically (as in the clothing industry), the absence of colour.

If you want to bastardize "technically" to include the clothing indutry, then that is your perogative.

But then you are just playing semantics with "technically", instead of "Black". I can do that too, but it is pointless. Technically, as in in science, the term BLACK is not a colour but the absence of colour.

It was Launch's statement, that I backed up, that explained the specific semantic definition of "BLACK", and used the terminology "technically".

It was your exclusive definition that precludes this specific definition on principle.

You are not going to convince anyone that there is not a technical term, called BLACK, that is defined as THE ABSENCE OF COLOUR. Hence "Black Holes": or are you suggesting that these are just the same colour as your tee-shirt ?

FOR ****'S SAKE I'M NOT SAYING THERE'S NO TECHNICAL DEFINITION OF BLACK! I'M SAYING THERE'S TWO.

How about instead of reading the first two words of every sentence I write and imagining what i might have said, you actually read what I'm saying and think about it?

Right, so the term "black" exists as a technical term. (I can't think of another way to describe the specific use of a word in a reference about the imploded remnants of a solar explosion that resulted from the gravitation force being stronger than the energy produced in that explosion, delineated by the Chandrasekhar limit.) Technical.

So, technically, there exists a definition for the word "black" that equates to "the absence of colour".

Now it is your contention that because you can provide a "technical" definition of "black" that includes it as a colour (and you provide the rag trade as your star witness :-) therefore "technically" black is a colour.

But even using your perverted logic, there is still a technical scientific (which I would argue is a more correct use of the word "technical", and probably so would you if you weren't trying to worm out of an obvious error on your part) definition of "black" that means "the absence of colour". This is why I used the argument for a different term for black (Italian).

So, either way, you are wrong.

Q.E.D.

No.

tech

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Guys, guys? Is that arguing really needed? It's not wanted anyway.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Favourite colour: Purple.  Some people in my lifetime have made me feel a bit embarrassed by that, though.

There's no shame in that. Purple was the color of royalty once, and it is also the color of badass Mace Windu's lightsaber. :D I wouldn't mind seeing an orange lightsaber, though.

Oh, I know. I've thought about those already. Just some people come to me and say stuff about how having purple as your fav colour means you got some sort of sexual orientation conflict and other stuff along those lines. And since I'm not exactly the most humble person in the world, I tend to get a little shy about it sometimes.

FOR ****'S SAKE I'M NOT SAYING THERE'S NO TECHNICAL DEFINITION OF BLACK! I'M SAYING THERE'S TWO.

Yes you are. You are insisting that technically black does not mean "absence of colour". Which it does. Period. Underline. Double underline. Turn Page. Close Book. Send to publisher.

No.

tech

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If you don't shut up about black I'm going to arrange for hamsters to eat your eyes right out of their sockets.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Favourite colour: Purple.  Some people in my lifetime have made me feel a bit embarrassed by that, though.

There's no shame in that. Purple was the color of royalty once

Interesting. Purple is also the color of royalty in China during the Tang Dynasty, but the emperors of China only wears gold. Coincidentally, purple and gold are my favorite colors.

Im David Hasselhoff.

Some people stand in darkness. Afraid to step into the light.

Some people need to help somebody when the edge of surrender is in sight.Don't you worry, it's going to be all right.

Cause I'm always there. I won't let you out of my sight.

I'll be there never you fear. I'll be there forever and always.

I'm always here.

How many different colours are there? (That's a rhetorical question, btw: the actual number of hues is not really up for debate, more the limited exposure of the forumites to said tints.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There are 3 colours. Red, Blue and Yellow, all the rest are just blends and hues of those three.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "