KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

But I don't see whoever is writing the story to use someone else's material.

Yeah, especially considering some of the "material" that has been posted. :blink:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

But I don't see whoever is writing the story to use someone else's material.

Yeah, especially considering some of the "material" that has been posted. :thumbsup:

Except my ideas right? :p

Right? :ermm:

Only because you stole them ... from ME!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The chances of Obsidian or whoever gets to develop K3 using any of our ideas seem exceedingly remote to me to say the least...

Which is why I still think it's pointless to suggest story-related suggestions. With game feature or item suggestions, atleast the devs can say "hmm..hooded robes, yeah we can do that". But I don't see whoever is writing the story to use someone else's material.

And on that note, here's my suggestion for a possible K3:

I'd like to see a larger variety of portraits for both male and female characters. I'm hoping they do some tweaking to the loot system so that certain items are not random. It's one thing for credits or some other low level item to drop from a dead Duros gangster or some cannock. But when Jedi robes are dropping from a detonated gun turret, that's a little much.

Random loot, which was one of the very first gripes about K2 going back, is not so bad as it is used in just about every RPG and MMO out there today and from yesterday. But after playing K1 which used some sort of a hybrid random loot and set loot drop system, where epic items ssemed to drop off of the appropriate target, while other things were more random but would still drop off of the appropriate low level target, it did get kind of frustrating running around with your level 15 Jedi without any Jedi robes and one lightsaber.

And going further down that path, it would be cool to see more customizable armor and weapons. I know this isn't an MMO we're talking about here, but it would be nice to see more crafting features and more class specific items, as well as customizable lightsabers. And not just crystals, but also hilts. I guess this goes hand in hand with upgrading the workbench.

It would be cool to be able to gather cloth from different merchants or stuff you've killed or farmed, and then be able make your own Jedi Robes or Sith Armor depending on your crafting skill. Or even set aside a high level area where you shouldn't go until the end of the game where all the bad guys (or good guys, depending on your alignment) you face drop epic Jedi or Sith gear.

Just a few random thoughts I have.

Wasn't able to read through every page in this thread so I don't know if a conclusion was ever reached, but as far as I know it's still unclear exactly who is developing KotOR 3 (or if it was even being developed in the first place). The fact that an Obsidian developer started this thread seems to at least acknowledge it's current existance, and possibly that it's in Obsidian's hands. I would consider that a shame, not at all because I doubt Obsidian's ability to make a great game, but a shame because I hate to see BioWare neglect one of their own most loved franchises. The original was basically the official Game of the Year in 2003, yet they shun involvement in any sequels in favor of creating new IPs.

Anyway, back to the topic. I agree with most of the smaller, superficial suggestions, such as hooded robes and more character customization and whatnot. I also would like the game to be a bit longer, as both of the first two KotORs have been about the same length. A longer length of the game would help a ton in the area of replayability, which both games already have in spades. Longer game means more planets, which leads me to my next suggestion, more freedom. The first two games at first appear to be pretty free, allowing you to mostly come and go from planets at any time, but in the end the individual environments still seem limited to only where the quests are supposed to take you. I'm trying to make suggestions here that are realistic, as opposed to what every fan of every game would ask for it's sequel, "make it bigger, better, longer, more of this, more of that" blah blah blah, basically the most unreasonable requests without the game coming on 4 discs and costing $150. Then again, the likelihood that anyone involved in KotOR 3's development will ever read this thread is already low, so whatever.

Lastly I would like to address this suggestion from a previous post. It may seem like an insignificant point to some, but I take issue with it:

7. Lightsabre restrictions. In the Star Wars films, it is extremely clearly shown that the Sith use single or double-bladed Red Lightsabre

Besides all that, the movies are very misleading in making people believe the only lightsaber colors there are ever allowed to be, ever, are blue, green, and red, and furthermore that red is restricted to dark siders only.

Your support for such a statement being?

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

That's not an indication that they aren't going to make it though.

Silence is just silence. Especially when the President mentions a flat "No" to a future Jedi Knight game, but a "That's interesting" to a future KOTOR game.

Half-Life 2 had silence for FIVE years.

So K3 is due out approximately 2010, then?

(Half-Life 2 involved completely building the best state-of-the-art graphics engine, which took up most of the development time.)

Maybe if they start now, they might be finished planning the game, so that the development might go without too many "planning" delays.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Surely Lucasarts has heard by now how many fans are wanting a Kotor three but will they listen?

If LA was smart, they'd make a K3 just for the $$$. I'm not keeping my expectations high, though. So far, they've been silent about it. And the way things look now, it's going to take them as long to announce K3 as it took to make K2. :p

Quick question, which method is better?

Would it have been better for Valve to announce Half-Life 2 shortly after Half-Life 1, despite the fact that we wouldn't be playing it for another 5-6 years?

Would it be better, if they are currently planning the game, for them to announce KOTOR 3 now, even if the game might not come out for a few years?

Besides all that, the movies are very misleading in making people believe the only lightsaber colors there are ever allowed to be, ever, are blue, green, and red, and furthermore that red is restricted to dark siders only.

Your support for such a statement being?

My support being that just about every single piece of Star Wars material that is not a movie suggests otherwise. I suppose you could say that's an EU thing or whatever and that Lucas intended for there to only be 3 colors, besides Mace's. The way I see it, those materials just show us things that are part of the official universe, but we never got to see in movies. So while that's all we see in the movies, there are actually many more. And also, although you never see it in the movies, a member of the Jedi Council in Episode I, also one of the Jedi we see being assassinated in Episode III, wields a red lightsaber. Adi Gallia I believe.

Anyway. I really hope KotOR 3 is made. The chances of it being made by BioWare are ridiculously low, so I'm prepared to accept it being an Obsidian-made game. Which I see no problem with, as long as they are given the time they need to develop the game properly this time. We all know that if the devs had more time, KotOR 2 would be much better than it is right now, even though I still like the game a lot. My only real problem with KotOR 2 was the story, and not even that it was given to us incomplete, but that it hardly seemed to relate to the first game at all. As long as KotOR 3 is dealing more heavily with Revan, I'm pretty sure we'll all be happier.

And I'd also agree that announcing it as soon as possible would be best. I'll take impatiently waiting for it to come out over wondering if it will ever exist at all.

Would it have been better for Valve to announce Half-Life 2 shortly after Half-Life 1, despite the fact that we wouldn't be playing it for another 5-6 years?

Would it be better, if they are currently planning the game, for them to announce KOTOR 3 now, even if the game might not come out for a few years?

To be honest, announcing it now, even though it may be 4 to 5 years away. Just like anything, it's the not knowing that's the hardest part.

(that sounded overly sentimental than it was meant to)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Hmm...good question. But I sure hope it doesn't take 5-6 years. Then again, I'm also still waiting for Starcraft: Ghost to come out and for Starcraft II to be announced. :p So it's not like I'm not used to waiting long.

Edit: But yeah, as GOA said, the not knowing part sucks. So I think it'd be better for them to announce it. :lol: Just as long as they don't keep moving back the release dates like some companies. *cough*Blizzard*cough*

Edited by Mothman

Yeah, but the Half-Life 2 announcement was almost orgasmic for me (a Half-Life 2 junkie).

It came out from practically no where, and I only had to wait a year and a bit to actually play the game.

I think there's enough out there to keep me occupied that I wouldn't lose any sleep if it wasn't announced for a year or too.

Just as long as they don't keep moving back the release dates like some companies. *cough*Blizzard*cough*

At the same time, those delays make sure you get a quality game. I don't mind delays personally. It's much better than having them release an unfinished product simply because the deadline is up.