MMORPGs

What do you guys think of MMORPGs (i assume you all know what that means, if you dont, well, to bad)? Yes, no, maybe?

I believe that MMORPGs should be like Guild Wars and Diablo II, completely free and kick ass ( Im assuming Guild Wars is good because I havent played it yet)

I've played City of Heroes and quite enjoyed it. I've played Anarchy Online and found it not quite as enjoyable.

I'm considering picking up another MMORPG, but I have not yet decided what it will be. Perhaps Guild Wars, since I hear good things about it. I don't know.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

No MMORPG's for me...

Playing an action RPG/Hack 'n Slash with a couple of people is fun for some time, and if it bores you go SP

MMORPG's too many people, usually forcing you to co-operate with others, and take hell of alot time to upgrade Skills/Atributes and such,

just not my type of game...

They have this bizarre, addictive nature like a drug!!!

I remember swearing that I'd never buy an MMO, but the WoW beta sucked me in....where no other beta has.

I had no problems with Guild Wars since it's not pay to play.

I got sucked into Guildwars. I look back on all the chances I had to not buy it, and I have regret

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Guild Wars might not be bad since you don't have to pay to play it beyond your initial investment.

Pay to play gaming (beyond your software purchase) is blatant robbery... much like dealing drugs to addicts.

True enough.

My favourite quests in WoW were the ones that spanned the land masses with some sort of investigation or whatnot.

"The Missing Diplomat" was a cool quest, where basically you investigate the disappearance of a diplomat, and learn about some of the real powerbrokers in Stormwind, and deal with the criminal underworld and stuff. Conspiracies galore!

I've never gotten into MMO's. Probably because they all felt like I was on an endless journey to kick my opponents but when it really came down to it nothing ever happened. It's a static Universe. I like my dynamic universe where the plotline actually moves.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

When I find a MMORPG that focuses on more than level-grinding and money-farming, I'll play it.

This is what's drawn me into Guild Wars, largely. Beyond a certain point (which even a casual player can reach fairly quickly), there's really not much to grind for anymore. There's nice-looking armors with the same stats as the cheaper stuff, and perhaps an additional 1% bonus to something or other, but that's about it. You're as powerful (statwise) as everyone else.

And most of this 'grind' takes place through the process of the missions with varied goals that progress the (mediocre) storyline. So you don't end up farming the same area, you're just running through various scripted missions in order to progress. It's more like a single player RPG than an MMO in that aspect, only there's other players. Of course, you don't notice the other players who aren't in your party unless your in a town, as everything else is instanced.

So in the end you play the game because you want to go out with your group and have fun, not because you want to grind for something specific. The endgame is pretty impressive...I've not run out of skill combos to try, and PvP can be a lot of fun.

Feel free to steal this sig.

True enough.

My favourite quests in WoW were the ones that spanned the land masses with some sort of investigation or whatnot.

"The Missing Diplomat" was a cool quest, where basically you investigate the disappearance of a diplomat, and learn about some of the real powerbrokers in Stormwind, and deal with the criminal underworld and stuff.  Conspiracies galore!

Actually, the "diplomat" you're investigating is Aundinn (sp?) Wrynn's father. Ergo, the true king of Stormwind.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

You're welcome.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin