SWG and why is everyone so angry

I have never played SWG and don't know much about the combat system. I know that there was a major change in combate but don't know what was done. So the question I pose is what was the system like before the change, what did the update change, and why is everyone up in arms about it.

I also heard something about a protest in the game its self and that they where all taken from the area and placed else where. Any truth in it?

I have never played SWG and don't know much about the combat system. I know that there was a major change in combate but don't know what was done. So the question I pose is what was the system like before the change, what did the update change, and why is everyone up in arms about it.

I also heard something about a protest in the game its self and that they where all taken from the area and placed else where. Any truth in it?

Never played it but people in MMPPRGs tend to get easily worked up.

It's very likely I used to be a Guardian and whatever you call those in UO. There are areas were you can teleport to and then pull a player to you. You can even do it by whole zones. MMPORGs are not a democracy and that sort of OC protest dosnt really belong in the game area.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well I know that when they did the combat upgrade, a lot of people lost their skill levels. Players were stuck with weapons and armor they no longer had the "level" or whatever to use. They made grouping mandatory (no more fighting solo). They also made some professions irrelavant: Why wait for a doctor when you can "magically heal yourself?" Monsters no longer do "mind" damage so "entertainers" are useless... ect. I don't play, but the general consensus is that Sony Online Entertainment doesn't listen to it's SWG subscribers.

A. You don't even play it, why do you care?

B. It's Star Wars Galaxies, who the hell gives a poop?

what the major change was they removed the 3 bar (health, stamina, mind) system and made a 1 bar system similair to what you find in other games out there.

Why this was needed was in the old system there was special attacks that targetted a specific bar. So you could just repeatibly hit the same special attack over and over killing your oponent.

For instance, a player could have 1000 health but only 200 mind. This would be similiar to say playing a barbarian in D&D. Physically strong but mentally weak. So a player could walk up and hit his mind attack 3 times and kill the opponent making the players health totally void.

New system goes on health and removes the special targetable attacks so that armor and such matter more.

Also in the old system stats decreased with the more armor you wore making buffs mandatory and everyone ran around in the same uber style of armor. New system limits armor types to specific classes. So BHS can wear Composite, TKA cant wear any, ect.

No idea about protests but the end effect of the Combat Upgrade just made Bounty Hunters the FotM class, so the mass majority of people now play BHs. So while it fixed one problem it created more problems then it fixed.

Of course ALL these issues were Fore told by the players and SOE ignored them because SOE only listens to a set group of players that are pro PvP and have 20+ million credits in their bank accounts and DONT represent the majority of the player base. So I wouldnt be surprised if protests where happening as SOE is once again shuning its players which is hardly a new development.

I did hear that the latest expansion finally had a strong quest system in it that SWG has been lacking since day one. But since thats only 1 planet and the other planets from original game still lack any type of storyline or immersion its not a big selling point.

SWG is a great game poorly designed and even more poorly upgraded and maintained. There is a ton of issues that need to be addressed drastically for the game to dig itself out of the deeps.

Question back to you: if you have never played the game why are you posting in other thread about the amount of jedis running around? Obviously you have no clue what you were spoeaking about (as I guessed when I replied to you). Dont you think you should have actual knowelge about a topic before posting something as fact to others??????

<snip>

Question back to you: if you have never played the game why are you posting in other thread about the amount of jedis running around? Obviously you have no clue what you were spoeaking about (as I guessed when I replied to you). Dont you think you should have actual knowelge about a topic before posting something as fact to others??????

When did I do that?

Any game that you have to pay to play online sucks.

Quite to the contrary, I think some of these games are so good that people are willing to pay every month to play them.

The principle of a monthly fee seems outrageous to those who cannot afford it, but for the monthly fee, you get online play, unique experiences, you're paying for servers and bandwidth, gamemasters, support staff, patches, and new content.

When you buy a single player game, you don't get any of that.

SWG may suck, but the principle of paying per month is not as evil as people make it out to be.

WoW is quite fun for instance.

And back to the original question, I believe combat was completlely overhauled in that skill-tree based combat was replaced by a level-based system. Oddly, Sony was altering hte game to appease all the players who left and didn't like SWG. I don't think they're getting those players back. But by making the change, they are alienating the players who play SWG because they liked the system.

SWG has to be the worst run major MMO I've ever seen.

<snip>

When did I do that?

not you Phantom, NCR made a post in different thread spreading his "wisdom" about how SWG was ruined because there was so many jedi running around (blatently false statement that anyone who has played knows).

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question. :-

It saddens me what MMORPGS turned out to be. We all thought it would be like having this huge world to play in and everyone would be a real person and you'd have great adventures and create fun things with your fellow players.

Now Id take even the lowliest computer NPC over a player, atleast the computer wont go "OMFG is dat the +4 armor? can u give it to me? LOLZ 1010101"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My understanding is that the "elite" (in the loosest possible sense!) gamers found and repeatedly abused an exploit which effectively enabled them to take down pretty much anything in the game without any need for tactics or skill. This seemed to be achieved by whole groups targeting the enemy's "mind" energy (don't really understand it myself as I never felt any desire to play SWG) which effectively stopped it from using skills etc.

This was fixed by drastically altering the combat system and all the whingers quickly realised just how **** they actually were when they were not abusing the exploits.

I think that pretty much covers it!

Of course ALL these issues were Fore told by the players prophesy and SOE the Jedi Council ignored them because SOEthe Council only listens to a set group of playersYoda's riddles.

Fixed. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT