What gameworld do you like the best?

My favorite 'realms' thus far (from games only):

Star Wars (Kotor I & II era preferred)

Guild Wars (it's got a nice history, but the story in game doesn't do it justice)

Toril (Forgotten Realms D&D, things like Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate)

Sigil (Planescape: Torment; I think that's the name of the city, anyway...)

I've made a few 'realms' myself, but only on my ever un-finished 'stories'... If you want to know about my 2 favorite (Draconia (self explanatory, imo) and Xyla/Magia (not sure which one I'll go with yet...) then I suppose I could drag up some of my old brainstorming papers...

:ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Yes on both accounts, but both Shadowrun and Arcanum add magic as a twist to your standard cyberpunk and steampunk.

Aahh right, so any -punk themes cannot involve magic then in the sense of fantasy/magician-magic, is that correct?

edit:

Oohh, and The Great Phantom, drag up your brainstorming papers! Not only lists please, info! Your own reflections, and things like that! :thumbsup:

I still find my favorite gaming world to explore and learn about is Morrowind's. Not that the gameplay is my favorite (I like some of it, don't like some of it), or that the plot in the game is all-involving, but the world itself is the best setting I've played a game in.

I still find my favorite gaming world to explore and learn about is Morrowind's.  Not that the gameplay is my favorite (I like some of it, don't like some of it), or that the plot in the game is all-involving, but the world itself is the best setting I've played a game in.

Yeah I havet to agree. Morrowind's history and all that is really interesting. Especially the dwemers :rolleyes: But the game itself is not very involving at all..

I like Morrowind's world, and I like the game. So the dialogue may not be the best, but we people with no lives can easily imagine ourselves as a zealous Witch-Hunter that is bitten by a Vampire and forced to live a cursed existence as the thing that they hate most, until a dark Daedric Prince offers the only method of escape...

It gets better than that, even. >_<

:ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Yes on both accounts, but both Shadowrun and Arcanum add magic as a twist to your standard cyberpunk and steampunk.

Aahh right, so any -punk themes cannot involve magic then in the sense of fantasy/magician-magic, is that correct?

Cyberpunk and Steampunk do not necessarily preclude magic. They just don't normally have magic. Most -punk settings are based in a world not too different from our own. They present a world that could exist with a bit of technology we don't have. For some people, it's easier to immerse and ground one's self in a world where technology exists, but magic doesn't.

However, occassionally, as in Shadowrun, someone adds magic to cyberpunk.

When talking about 'punks, and especially steampunk, the term "anachronistic history" is sometimes used. Easy way to explain it would be "that which could have been".

By the way, am I a nutjob or why does noone seem to be really interested about their favorite world? I could go on endlessly about the City, but most of dude(/ette)s here just make a minimal reply and move on. Poor me, always the enthusiast.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

earth baby ... it has some of the best games, completely open ended, skills, feats, occupations, who could ask for more. weapons of mass destruction, or hand to hand, mounts, space travel .... the monthly fees to keep playing are a little steep though ... a fortune can be made at the drop of a hat or you can sleep in the sewers the next.

now that's a game world. :):-"

I'm a fan of planar fantasy.

The Planescape setting, both in Torment and in the originating texts.

And Zelazny's Amber universe, both in the ten Amber books and in the Amber diceless roleplaying game. And if this has to be a computer or console gameworld, well, there was an Amber graphical text adventure game for Apple II, so there.

Cyberpunk and Steampunk do not necessarily preclude magic.  They just don't normally have magic.  Most -punk settings are based in a world not too different from our own.  They present a world that could exist with a bit of technology we don't have.

I got it now. Thanks for the tutoring :) (sorry for my english, not sure if that was correct.)

When talking about 'punks, and especially steampunk, the term "anachronistic history" is sometimes used. Easy way to explain it would be "that which could have been".

By the way, am I a nutjob or why does noone seem to be really interested about their favorite world? I could go on endlessly about the City, but most of dude(/ette)s here just make a minimal reply and move on. Poor me, always the enthusiast.

Well put, I wasn't sure how it was in detail myself about steampunk.

And yeah, it's sad that many replys doesn't contain a decription of their world. Seems many missed I asked for at least some info of their world, and why they like it. NOT these, in my opinion, (no offence everybody!) pointless lists. ;)"

Please, if you feel guilty, then TELL us what we want to hear! :wub: , some info of the world, AND what YOU like about it.

And hey, Musopticon, if you want to talk about your world, in greater detail, then I wouldn't mind the least! You have one devoted reader here at least!

And if this has to be a computer or console gameworld, well, there was an Amber graphical text adventure game for Apple II, so there.

Doesn't has to be a computer or console gameworld.

But please describe the worlds you're talking about. Perhaps not necessarily the planescape setting, but the other world you speak about. And some personal reflections of why you like them :)

The thief setting. Most non-vanilla fantasy world in a PC game evar.

Builder grant me thy strength!

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Let mine hammer strike true?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Morrowind Game of the Year Edition.

I liked the discovery aspect of it, you never knew what was just over the hill, or around the way. Could be a shrine to some god, some drunken wacked-out cult, or a tomb possibly filled with worldly riches.

Morrowind Game of the Year Edition.

I liked the discovery aspect of it, you never knew what was just over the hill, or around the way. Could be a shrine to some god, some drunken wacked-out cult, or a tomb possibly filled with worldly riches.

Yeah, the discovery aspect of Morrowind is quite nice in the beginning. Though I wonder, isn't it a bit too much odd, special, magic caverns, that none of the caverns become special anymore? :lol: