Console

Which console should Kotor3 come out on?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which console should Kotor3 come out on?

• Current generation Xbox.
    • Xbox 360.
    • PS3.
    • Both PS3 and Xbox 360.

The X-Box 1.5 can have KotOR III for all I care.

.... KotOR IV on the other hand better come to PS3 as the inferior hardware of the X-Box 1.5 doesn't really impress.

But, I will of course play them both on PC.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

I voted for xbox360. I'm surprised to see that it's winning the poll, although that really doesn't mean anything I suppose.

There is a good possibility I'll get both if they both look pleasing. I'd rather have a larger hardrive on the xbox 360, though. A 20GB HD is too small considering that I'll put every CD I own on the new system and use it as my stereo.

Alls I can say is that the xbox 360 needs to have some way to get those music files from my current xbox or I probably won't buy it this year anyhow. It's a pain putting in all those CDs.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Anyway, I'll only buy one of these systems if it has a game I really, really want to play which is exclusive to it.

They're both being produced by hugely evil, overtly anti-competitive monopolistic corporations, so there's no good guy to pick here. Only a choice between equivalent evils.

If I can choose not to support either one, I certainly will. If some given game or games compel me to support one, I suppose I hope that it's the cheaper of the two, for lack of other concerns. Each contains adequate hardware to effectively eliminate any concern regarding the range of creative possibility available to it, so specs are essentially irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned, save insofar as they affect quality game development. And I've already stated my concerns regarding quality dev kits and intuitive architectures, on that count. We'll see how each plays out in that regard.

They're both being produced by hugely evil, overtly anti-competitive monopolistic corporations, so there's no good guy to pick here.  Only a choice between equivalent evils.

If I can choose not to support either one, I certainly will.  If some given game or games compel me to support one, I suppose I hope that it's the cheaper of the two, for lack of other concerns.  Each contains adequate hardware to effectively eliminate any concern regarding the range of creative possibility available to it, so specs are essentially irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned, save insofar as they affect quality game development.  And I've already stated my concerns regarding quality dev kits and intuitive architectures, on that count.  We'll see how each plays out in that regard.

I don't get it. Are you on some kind of anti-capitalist crusade? :thumbsup:

I don't think I will be getting neither, at least until prices drop a bit and not unless there are some games that I really want to try. Not because I don't like consoles, simply because I can't afford to buy everything I like. And if everything works out as it should, I won't have time for gaming, either. :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"They're both being produced by hugely evil, overtly anti-competitive monopolistic corporations"

The only evil her eis you and your whining. OMG They want to make money. Boo hoo hoo. And, they're not antyi competitive. You are. Afterall, that's exactly what theya re doing - competing. Good on them!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's also a less conventional architecture.  And radically unconventional architectures have a rather unfortunate history in the gaming world.  It may be that everyone jumps right into the Cell architecture, figures it out immediately and makes fantastic use of its remarkable potential. 

Right, to say that the PS3 has more power is like saying the Millennium Falcon has more power when Han says, "Chewie, take the auxillary, life support, and weapon systems offline and reroute everything to the main hyperdrive". Truely, something *powerful* is going on there but in a highly dubious way. The Xbox 360 has alot of power AND a relatively conventional architecture.

They're both being produced by hugely evil, overtly anti-competitive monopolistic corporations, so there's no good guy to pick here.  Only a choice between equivalent evils.

That's why I support Nintendo when it comes to console, they are really the only company on that market I have an ounce of respect left for, and that's mainly due to two men; Hiroshi Yamauchi ( who has now retired, and even declined his pension as he believed it could help the company better ) and Shigeru Miyamoto.

But yeah, Sony is very much the Japanse version of Microsoft.

"When the foul sore of envy corrupts the vanquished heart, the very exterior itself shows how forcibly the mind is urged by madness. For paleness seizes the complexion, the eyes are weighed down, the spirit is inflamed, while the limbs are chilled, there is frenzy in the heart, there is gnashing with the teeth."

I voted for xbox360.  I'm surprised to see that it's winning the poll, although that really doesn't mean anything I suppose.

Well I'd say after KotOR2 came out, a good number of Xbox fans came over to the forums, outnumbering us loyalists who have been here since the beginning, so its not that surprising.

Anyway, personally, I don't care which platform KotOR3 comes out on as long as theres a PC version. I played the Xbox version of KotOR2 at EB, and I didn't like the controls as much as the PC version.

As for the two consoles, when it comes to power, the Cell destroys Microsoft's multi-core chip, and Microsoft's graphics chip is slightly more powerful than Sony's, but apparently the Cell is more than capable of picking up the slack.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

As for the two consoles, when it comes to power, the Cell destroys Microsoft's multi-core chip, and Microsoft's graphics chip is slightly more powerful than Sony's, but apparently the Cell is more than capable of picking up the slack.

Where have you heard this? I've read the PS3 beats the Xbox 360 in both processor power and graphic card capacity. Apparently the 256 Mb 700 Mhz DDR3 RAM graphic card in the PS3 will be equivalent of TWO Geforce 6800 Ultra. The only thing I know about the graphic card in the Xbox 360 is that it's made by ATI and has only 10 Mb dedicated memory. Anything above that it shares with the rest of the system from the 512 Mb internal memory.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Where have you heard this? I've read the PS3 beats the Xbox 360 in both processor power and graphic card capacity. Apparently the 256 Mb 700 Mhz DDR3 RAM graphic card in the PS3 will be equivalent of TWO Geforce 6800 Ultra. The only thing I know about the graphic card in the Xbox 360 is that it's made by ATI and has only 10 Mb dedicated memory. Anything above that it shares with the rest of the system from the 512 Mb internal memory.

The Xbox's GPU is pretty much the same as the PS3 GPU except it uses 330 transistors instead of 300, and it runs at like 50MHz more.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I have heard that the PS3 has a 20 Gig hard drive. So that means that both will have detachable hard dive.

So as it stands (from what I have read) the score card reads that they are tied in hard drives, Sony has the edge in the technical aspect in power and graphics, Xbox has Live and is rumered to have devs foaming at the moth becuase it is easier to develop on. That leaves price point. And from what I have heard Sony is going to be hard pressed to get the PS3 under 500 US and that Xbox is looking not to go over 300 at launch.

So all I have to say is good luck to those of you looking to pick up both consoles and to those of you who can afford it, I hate you.

One last thing. To those of you who are hard core PC I feel a bit sorry for you. The next gen consoles are going to be more powerful than PC's for (by my calculations at least) a good six months. They are only now starting to put out multicore processors for the PC and their expencive and only to cores.

Xbox has Live and is rumered to have devs foaming at the moth becuase it is easier to develop on.

That was the Xbox, not the 360. Sony fixed that mistake this gen, since all the devs who mentioned it, said the PS3 was easy to develop for.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Xbox's GPU is pretty much the same as the PS3 GPU except it uses 330 transistors instead of 300, and it runs at like 50MHz more.

Well, according to Gamespot Hardware, it's the PS3 GPU that's 50 MHz faster than the Xbox 360 equivalent.

Not that all this really matters anyhow. It's the games, not the hardware, that decides which console will win the war. I mean, the PS2 isn't close to the Xbox in hardware but still dominates the market.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

... One last thing. To those of you who are hard core PC I feel a bit sorry for you. The next gen consoles are going to be more powerful than PC's for (by my calculations at least) a good six months. They are only now starting to put out multicore processors for the PC and their expencive and only to cores.

I don't plan on upgrading my pc that early. The hardware development innovation cycles have co-incided neatly (roughly) with the depreciation on IT assets (i.e. over three years) for the last few years (since the GPU, by my calculations). That means I should be looking to purchase a new PC / convergence device with OHP and surround sound etc, etc in about 6-12 months. Even considering hardware is out of date when you buy it, the next wave of development should similarly last a couple of years.

What would be intersting is if the had modular architecture for the consoles: not the out-and-out plug'n'play paradigm of the PC, but limited "standard" upgrades, like a new GPU and more/better (V)RAM and call it the PS3.1 ... :o"

Well, according to Gamespot Hardware, it's the PS3 GPU that's 50 MHz faster than the Xbox 360 equivalent.

Not that all this really matters anyhow. It's the games, not the hardware, that decides which console will win the war. I mean, the PS2 isn't close to the Xbox in hardware but still dominates the market.

True, the Sony Betamax was much superior to the VHS.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This is for the most part an urban legend. While in many respects the Betamax format can argue a mild quantitative statistical advantage over VHS, the practical effect of that statistical edge on final home NTSC TV viewing was ultimately trivial, while the significance of the greater recording length of the VHS format over Beta proved immediately fundamental to the value of the format. Meanwhile, tape dimensions proved a non-factor. The reasons for the acceptance of the one over the other are in many respects political, but the idea that politics thwarted the inherently superior format which deserved otherwise to succeed doesn't really hold water.

This is for the most part an urban legend. While in many respects the Betamax format can argue a mild quantitative statistical advantage over VHS, the practical effect of that statistical edge on final home NTSC TV viewing was ultimately trivial, while the significance of the greater recording length of the VHS format over Beta proved immediately fundamental to the value of the format. Meanwhile, tape dimensions proved a non-factor. The reasons for the acceptance of the one over the other are in many respects political, but the idea that politics thwarted the inherently superior format which deserved otherwise to succeed doesn't really hold water.

Well, not everyone uses the inferior NTSC standard.

PAL, for example, has higher resolution and faster frame rate; just because the difference was negligible to the lowest common denominator doesn't mean it was non-existent. You may also think that analogue vinyl records have no better sound quality than a digital CDs, or vacuum tubes are obsolete in amplifiers but many audiophiles would argue the contrary.

It is not an urban legend.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I was too focused on being difficult.

That is what makes you all the stronger, my friend.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

:thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg