Please please read...

Muhakda

Well, I just threw a few coppers George Lucas' way. I hope he appreciates them.

On the non-piracy issue, the movie is definitely the best of the prequels. In fact, I rather liked it. Get rid of the ridiculous romance (poorly acted) and you've got one hell of a film!

...And I'll wait to purchase the DvD. No need for a pirated copy have I.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There's a new anti-piracy law comming through here July 1st. Problem is, it makes every single person who has ever surfed the net a criminal, since it doesnt permit you to save pictures from websites to your hardrive :D

"Temporary internet files"? THEFT IS WHAT I CALL IT!!!

silliness.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There's a new anti-piracy law comming through here July 1st. Problem is, it makes every single person who has ever surfed the net a criminal, since it doesnt permit you to save pictures from websites to your hardrive :D

"Temporary internet files"? THEFT IS WHAT I CALL IT!!!

silliness.

Does this law make using Internet Explorer illegal in itself, since it saves temporary files? Or can you turn that off? Maybe it's just a cover for the government to sue Microsoft for promoting copyright infringement.

It reminds me of the law there used to be in the UK, which made it illegal to record a TV programme on your video. Eventually they changed it so that you can record anything but only keep it for 28 days, which still makes most of the country lawbreakers.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Im sure someone will TRY to argue or bedate (or more then likely insult) my post but its a open and shut topic. It really is one of the few topics out there that is black and white.

Either you are against pirateing and refuse to STEAL from others (the correct veiw) or you are ok with it (the incorrect veiw). Everything else is just smoke and mirrors. Alot of hot air but nothing being said.

No I don't want to argue with you, but I have to point this out: you are not talking about the loss of actual profit, but the loss of potential profit, which makes your case much less black and white than you seem to think. And rather than rant at those that disagree with you, you should perhaps spend your time delving into the pertinent case law if you are truly interesting in such things.

I do sincerely hope that the simple act of disagreeing with you because your arguments are tenuous at best and your terminology is incorrect (and you could also use some fact checking) is not what you consider to be "insulting."

Cloris

PS: Again, it is copyright infringement (ie: the potential loss of profit), not theft. But I think someone else has already said that.

It is theft. I don't care what some stupid judge says. Theft is taking something that doesn't belong to you without permission. That's exactly what this is. You can argue about the morality of it all you wnat; it is factually theft. And, don't throw the silly law into this, the law has lots of silliness in it so while it is the legal arbiter; it is not the actual arbiter of what is theft or not. Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Let's say you own a new volvo and your neighbour got the exact same model, but for free (a clone!). Well, then your neighbour has stolen the intellectual property of the volvo design, not the car itself.

Same goes for downloading movies and games. I have a friend that's so cheap that he never buys games or movies for that matter (He wouldn't see the movies or play the games if there weren't any "pirates"). So no loss for the industry there from one (1!) person.

I'm not hypocritical myself, i occassionally download games or movies, but end up buying some of them later. Episode III is a definately no-no for me in terms of downloading it. I wanted to see it on a huge screen with THX sound.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

"Well, then your neighbour has stolen"

You admit it is theft. Thank you. :sorcerer:

Eh, have i ever claimed otherwise? I wanted to point out what people are stealing not whether if it's theft or not.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It is theft. I don't care what some stupid judge says. Theft is taking something that doesn't belong to you without permission. That's exactly what this is. You can argue about the morality of it all you wnat; it is factually theft. And, don't throw the silly law into this, the law has lots of silliness in it so while it is the legal arbiter; it is not the actual arbiter of what is theft or not. Period.

You are aware that deprivation of property (a legal construct) is considered theft (another legal construct). You are aware that distribution of copyrighted material (a legal construct) without consent is considered copyright infringement (a legal construct), aren't you? :blink:

The only difference is that when the copyright expires, anyone can distribute copyrighted material legally. No matter how long you own your car, it's not legal for me to deprive you of your property.

Your whole post is patently false because this entire debate is centered upon what is legal. The fact that you choose to ignore what some Federal Judge has said (as installed by Congress, and therefore the upholder of the law of the land) is just so factually incorrect I am just going to have to call you a troll.

Let's say you own a new volvo and your neighbour got the exact same model, but for free (a clone!). Well, then your neighbour has stolen the intellectual property of the volvo design, not the car itself.

There is no intellectual property in a car covered by copyright or trademark. You cannot legally copyright or trademark a car. The car's design may be covered by patent, but when it's out there, anyone can legally clone the car. What you can't do is copy it and sell it. :-

"You are aware that deprivation of property (a legal construct) is considered theft (another legal construct). You are aware that distribution of copyrighted material (a legal construct) without consent is considered copyright infringement (a legal construct), aren't you? "

Ahh. You are the troll. I'm using the definition of theft which is taking somehting that doesn't belong to you without permission. THAT is theft. Only a troll would think otherwise. Troll.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It is theft. I don't care what some stupid judge says.

No, it's not. And since the judge's opinion is what counts, you auto-lose.

Game over.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

is volourn a mpaa/riaa fanboy?

As regards to the original post: Ep3 has broken box office records (surprise, suprise) so the appearance of a workprint did no measurable harm. I'm sure there many people who downloaded it and still went to see it at the theatre at least twice *cough*me*cough*

I never pirate games. Actually, I never pirate software at all, but it's hard to dredge up sympathy for Lucas when the movie has already broken several cinema records. In theory, I agree with Vol. In reality, though, I think this particular case makes for a weak argument. All we can cite are hypothetical arguments of profit loss for a movie that has done extremely well.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

i heard on the radio that if you go see ep3 right now you can start collecting exclusive posters.

the first time you see it you recieve a free collection book.

then the next 4 times you see it you get a poster each time.

no joke.