Weekend Programmer #2

And it would be intensely lame to be allowed to be dark side, but not allowed to join the Sith.

It'd be like Final Fantasy all over again: "Here you are, the intrepid hero. But we get to tell you where to go and what to do."

Heck, it'd be like KOTOR, except you can't go with Bastila on top of the temple.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

I don't know if you can, but could you try to give me a yes or no answer for the following question?:

Is the reason that the masked Sith's hood has a triangular shape (by this I mean because of how it's propped up on the corners in front) because of something on his head?

Thanks.

I doubt Avellone would tell me even if I asked. :)

Tell us more about breaking things in parts and using them to do someyhing else.

Will I be able to take parts from a blaster and put them in a lightsabre?(I dunno why would someone do that though...)

Would that create a lightsabre that could shoot laser? (Weirdest idea ever)

Nothing that outlandish, I'm afraid. :lol: Most of the stuff you can create are item upgrades than you can then insert into your equipment. Regarding the item creation stuff in general, it should probably be emphasized we're not talking about a full fleged crafting system like you might find in a MMORPG. It's more of an alternative way to get rid of stuff you don't use anymore (I.e., break it down) and putting the broken down components or chemicals to use in something that might be handy for you. While there's probably (I don't know for certain) a number of items that can only be gained through item creation, it's also a way of making items that are more useful to you than stuff you might already have.

For example, you might have a ton of medpacks that you don't really need. You could break those down into 'chemicals' and then reassemble the chemicals into advanced medpacks or life support packs. You would obviously get fewer life support packs than the medpacks it took to make it, but later in the game the life support packs are probably more useful to you than a ton of medpacks. This is just an example.

Will double bladed lightsabers use more crystals than the regular ones?

Will there be balanced light and darkside only items?  In KOTOR the lightside headgear added +5 to wisdom whereas the darkside headgear just had some minor fire resistance.  And are there more of these type of alignment specific items available?

How many sidequests are there for each NPC, is there more than one for each character this time round?

Double-bladed sabers will use the same number of crystals.

I'm not sure on the alignment-centric item distribution. Hopefully they're more balanced this time around. :p

And I don't know what the sidequest count is for the NPCs. I suspect that it will vary. Some will have more while others have less.

Can we expect more things like the duel tournaments on Taris?

I don't think there's an exhibitionist type fighting tournament in the game. But there is some dueling stuff that is very important to the story on one of the planets.

Akari: Quick question:

With this thread, are you just ignoring questions that you can't answer, or did you just happen to miss one or two?  (just wondering, since you didn't respond to my question, and I was pretty sure you couldn't answer it).

Thanks.

I'm trying not to ignore too many questions, but there's a good number that my response would just be 'Can't say' or I've already answered the question before in either this thread or last week's thread so I just skip over them.

What I would like to know is if NPC skills here in KotOR 2 will get around this problem so that if I'm leveling up an NPC to use as a hacker then I don't need to put these skills into my PC and concentrate on skills that I am interested in also making those NPCs more useful to my party. I hope this wasn't too confusing. Thanks.

Right now the designer in charge of that stuff asked that I not change it. Though I agree that it would make sense to let you use more capabale characters for those kinds of things. We'll see what happens.

-Akari

I've read that you can configure 2 weapon slots. Is it possible for the PC version to make 10 slots and bind them to the number keys, I don't think they are being used I forget. Though it seems silly to have 10 weapon configurations I just thought that it might be useful to maybe have 3 or 4, so you can have your saber, blaster and nothing equipped by hotkey. Oh wait I just remembered that the number keys are already taken, but I'm sure you can find 4 or 5 unused keys.

actually there are 10 basic lightsaber crystals and X amount of speical lightsaber crystals this was state during last weeks

That I knew,however it was said in this one that Silver and White were different colors,where I thought the silver/white blade were the same and not everyone agreed on what to call it.

On the swoop tracks there are now obsticals to avoid as well as the speedup ramps that you want to hit. 

How is this different from KOTOR? Swoop was kinda disappointing in KOTOR, but it doesn't sound like its being improved that much :)

2 words, upgradable swoops!

how cool will that be :D

On the swoop tracks there are now obsticals to avoid as well as the speedup ramps that you want to hit. 

How is this different from KOTOR? Swoop was kinda disappointing in KOTOR, but it doesn't sound like its being improved that much :)

2 words, upgradable swoops!

how cool will that be :D

Yes there were obsticals before, so what is the difference?

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

can you tell us anything about the new mini games, like how many there will be?

There's no new mini-games this time around. We stuck with the original three and improved on them as much as we could. There were some ideas tossed around early on about some other options, but they got cut eventually.

-Akari

can you tell us anything about the new mini games, like how many there will be?

There's no new mini-games this time around. We stuck with the original three and improved on them as much as we could. There were some ideas tossed around early on about some other options, but they got cut eventually.

-Akari

bah.....shame, but probably inevitable :p

Akari,

If you found out through the grapevine that Feargus and Avallone were gonna give you the pink slip soon, do you know enough about the story to tell all and really go out in a blaze of glory? :(

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

1.) Is this game going to be more difficult than the first one? There were several instances in KotorI where i could go rambo-style without any party members and pretty much decimate everything in my way, most noticeably at the end of the game in the Sith Academy.

2.) Will you be able to somewhat level up to a high level early in the game? Im a hardcore rpg gamer myself and the 3 times i played KotorI i always conveniently reached level 20 on the Unknown world.

3.) In light of all the new force powers you guys added will there be a type of "force movement" power? where say you can select an object and hurl it at an enemy or use the force to stop a grenade or something like that...?

4.) To a previous question you answered there were 3 additional lightsaber upgrade slots, could you explain what you will be able to put in these and what effects they will have?

5.) In the trailer theres one part where they pc stands like he's charging up a la dbz and a wave of force seems to erupt from him...can you explain what this is?

6.) I like the original Kotor in that it gave some information on previous events such as the great hyperspace war and info on the previous sith lords in the ancient sith tombs, will more information be given on previous events?

7.) Last question, how often will you be able to add points to your attributes? is it still at every 4th level or have you increased\decreased it in light of the recent level cap?

thanx for ur time and for making this game :(

To a previous question you answered there were 3 additional lightsaber upgrade slots, could you explain what you will be able to put in these and what effects they will have?

Not that I'm sitting in the Devs chair, but I think it was that lightsabers now have 6 upgrade cavities in all. Of these six, 3 crystals cavities and then 3 other cavities for components to the lightsaber.

Sounds cool doesn't it?

To a previous question you answered there were 3 additional lightsaber upgrade slots, could you explain what you will be able to put in these and what effects they will have?

Not that I'm sitting in the Devs chair, but I think it was that lightsabers now have 6 upgrade cavities in all. Of these six, 3 crystals cavities and then 3 other cavities for components to the lightsaber.

Sounds cool doesn't it?

yep sure does B)

How about facial expressions? There were barely any facial expressions in the first when we would see our character's face. Will there be more happy or sinister smiles other than in cutscenes?

The designers did ask for more control over facial animations and I believe one of the other programmers implemented support for it. We'll see what the designers do with it. :(

-Akari

1) When will you be able to elaborate more about the skills?

Skills in specific? Or feats? I can probably elaborate more on actual skills next week. Feats I didn't code so it takes me more time to actually look into what they do.

2) Will the game be tougher, or at least have optional tough areas?

I think the game will be more challenging in combat. We've added a lot of scaling code so that encounters get more challenging as you get more powerful.

3) Will the game have and ending for each world you visit, a'la Fallout?

Don't know for certain yet.

-Akari