Dragon Age

"They use arcade game style mana power ups by the looks of it. How the hell does that fit in a role playing game?"

Play the game and find out.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My guess is they're going to use the classic action-RPG mana system :p:lol:

I told you... the 'mana' like stuff chi, fcous, and health don't naturally regenrate. You either have o use powers to regnerate them or collect power glboes from killed enemies... And, they're relativelt rare drops so youa ren't always at full and have to conserve. This is unlike most games that use mana for magic and you just have to wait a few minutes if desperate to get back to max..

Does it at least regenerate when you sleap or rest?

"Does it at least regenerate when you sleap or rest?"

Nope. there is no actual resting or sleeping in the game and definitely nothing that auto regenerates your stuff.

I believe there's at least one henchmen that can regen chi, focus, or helath for you. Slowly they do; but this only occurs during combat not inbetween combat.

SPOILER:

There's also one that you get for one specific chapter that boosts all three...

I'm really looking forwards to Dragon Age, although I suspect my current super-rig will need replacing to play it by then.

My curious relationship with Bioware's games will, I think, be defined by this title.

Let's just say that kooky NPCs, evil betrayer chicks, Fedex quests and schools for adventurers are things that would put me off.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Odds are there is going to be at least one kooky NPC. After all, Gaider has said one of his favorite characters (that he has written) is Deekin.

As for the screenshots that have been shown, I am under the impression that they are merely a tech demo using mostly (or completely) NWN technology to show what Bio have intended. The actual game will use a completely new engine so it could look very different.

But if Bio can deliver everything they promise it's going to be a very good game.

I realise that we're probably getting the normal stuff when it comes to story department, but I'm still hoping that Bioware has finally got the idea of not making the players party the center of the freaking universe. I mean; in most crpgs you're the chosen one, the only hope, savior, am shaegar, you name it. Everything in the story and the world feels like it's there just for you. Maybe this time we could be a normal dude/-tte who, even as s/he does some amazing work, isn't your typical run-of-the-mill crpg-hero with a Great Destiny.

Now, I'm not hoping that Bioware allows the players to be farmers or rather unimportant characters in the story. The plot should be about the player character, put the happenings around her/him could at least create an illusion of real world. Think of it this way: In IWD 2 you we're just some mercenaries, barely able to fight at the start(exaggerating, I know), who gradually we're giving bigger jobs. There were always something happening with war against the Horde, and player's party became the "last hope" so further in the story, that you(at least I) felt like being a gamepiece on a strategy board, doing your part in a larger plan.

Player characters don't have to be chosen ones to be interesting, or for the story to be good.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

but I'm still hoping that Bioware has finally got the idea of not making the players party the center of the freaking universe.

While I'm not trying to crush your hopes, I suggest expecting more of the same, ie, single or multi characters being the Chosen Ones.

Player characters don't have to be chosen ones to be interesting, or for the story to be good.

While I agree, I don't see changes to that anytime soon.

You're not destroying anything. I thought that after Torment we would get a new era of crpgs, but all we got were more chosen ones. Something which will seemingly never change. Dreams are made to be broken, I guess.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

"Chosen one" is the easy way out ...

Funny enough some games have reversed it with the main character not being the chosen one.

I am not really expecting BioWare to change any time soon, perhaps when the current staff is replaced we start to see diferences but its another thing I dont see being done any time soon.

Like it or not BioWare found a system that so far have given then awards and sales, they are not likely go exploring other options.

I can understand that, what I dont really like is their attitude ...

drakron.png

"Let's just say that kooky NPCs, evil betrayer chicks, Fedex quests and schools for adventurers are things that would put me off."

Expect all these things except possibly schools is DA. And, please, tell me about ONE RPG that doesn't have fed ex quest so I cna laugh at you.

"I realise that we're probably getting the normal stuff when it comes to story department, but I'm still hoping that Bioware has finally got the idea of not making the players party the center of the freaking universe."

You lose. the PC will be the focus of DA. Period. You don't like that kind of game than you shouldn't bother playing BIO games.

"I am not really expecting BioWare to change any time soon, perhaps when the current staff is replaced we start to see diferences but its another thing I dont see being done any time soon."

Nope. As longas the Doctors are running the show this is what youa re gonna get. Dave Gaider did NOTHING on JE yet it didn't change the Bioware way of developing games.

"Like it or not BioWare found a system that so far have given then awards and sales, they are not likely go exploring other options."

That system also makes good games so I'm all for them keeping it up.

"I can understand that, what I dont really like is their attitude ..."

Horrible attitude, indeed. proud of their work and accomplishments. Allowing peopel to post negative opinions about their games on their baords as long as its done civilly. Inetratcing with board members. Having contests to reward community particiapation. Not always kissing the behind of players who suggest retarded thinsg and weant things their way and claim theys peak for every player in existence.

You all whine about BIo yet you all will buy their games like little lemmings then have the gall to wodner why they don't change their way of developing games. Go figure.

R00fles!

You all whine about BIo yet you all will buy their games like little lemmings then have the gall to wodner why they don't change their way of developing games. Go figure.

Hey! When nowadays the amount of choice when it comes to crpgs is so miniscule; we most probably have to pick Bio's next game. Clich

kirottu said:

Its hard not to sell this one short even before I know much about it. Classes, multiplayer, bioware, baggage, ect...

Probably will be great and enjoyable approached open mindedly but not likely to address the continuing 'Black Isle void' of no actual crunchy rpgs...

As for the screenshots that have been shown, I am under the impression that they are merely a tech demo using mostly (or completely) NWN technology to show what Bio have intended. The actual game will use a completely new engine so it could look very different.

I really hope so. When I saw the screen shots they released when they announced the title. I thought,

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

You know that there is more to that.

PC have advantages in terms of control that consoles dont usually have (mouse and keyboard) and when developing a game the most important is the controls.

Recently I played Obscure in PC and the controls were simply designed for consoles and did not feel natural, I already had that same experience with MGS and FF VIII that were console titles ported for PC.

Even KotOR(s) controls dont feel very natural when it comes to inventory.

BioWare designed JE controls using the Xbox S controler to make then feel natural for the player, if JE was ported for the PC its likely such controls would not be natural.

Dragon Age will make full use of PC controls, movement will likely be done by clicking on the ground and there will be many keys being used, the console controls are simply not designed for that kind of things and would require a extensive rework that would move the game from a "port" to a new version.

drakron.png

"I realise that we're probably getting the normal stuff when it comes to story department, but I'm still hoping that Bioware has finally got the idea of not making the players party the center of the freaking universe."

You lose. the PC will be the focus of DA. Period. You don't like that kind of game than you shouldn't bother playing BIO games.

Acyually, you're wrong. Though not really (the PC WILL be the focus of DA), only in the context of answering that specific statement.

The gameworld will not revolve around the PC, the designers (and by that I am mostly referring to David Gaider) has repeatedly stated that there will be no prophecies or chosen ones anywhere near Dragon Age.

"Acyually, you're wrong. Though not really (the PC WILL be the focus of DA), only in the context of answering that specific statement."

You're wrong. The PC will *always* be the focus of the game. Just because here is no hosen One prophecies doesn't mean the focus won't be on the PC.

"Acyually, you're wrong. Though not really (the PC WILL be the focus of DA), only in the context of answering that specific statement."

You're wrong. The PC will *always* be the focus of the game. Just because here is no hosen One prophecies doesn't mean the focus won't be on the PC.

Care to read my post again? More specifically the (the PC WILL be the focus of DA) part.

I wasn't contradicting that. I was just saying that the post you originally answered didn't ask if the GAME would revolve around the PC, but if the universe would and then continued saying that he was tired of being the Chosen One. So you answered the wrong question, because there won't be a chosen one in any way shape or form.

You dont know that.

Tidus was not exactly the focus of FF X, it might been "his" story but it was Yuna voyage.

The PC does not have to be the focus of the game, its possible to make a game that does not focus around the PC with the PC simply being someone what have a impact on the world.

Will BioWare do that ? ... dont know but I belive BioWare is going to slip into their usual story system that evolves a "chosen one" since they being doing it since BG.

They could try something new, perhaps like the "The Longest Journey" that is the exact opposite of a "chosen one" ... there are room for variation.

drakron.png

None of the BIo games have had a true 'chosen one' stories though KOTOR came close.

"Care to read my post again? More specifically the (the PC WILL be the focus of DA) part."

R00fles! Oops. Then why were you whining about my post? Afterall, we're pretty much in agreement here...

"Tidus was not exactly the focus of FF X, it might been "his" story but it was Yuna voyage."

They were botht he main focus of the game. They wre both the main characters hence they were both the focus.

Of cours,e we all know Ff is a awhole different kind of RPG than the role-playing games that BIO, Obsidian, etc. are known for.

Tidus is not really the player's character; but one of many character the player babysits through their story while the player babysits them.