ATI video cards with KotOR2

You can get the file by downloading the installer for the Catalyst version you want. Run the installer, pick a directory for the files, and exit before installing. Find the file atioglxx.dl_ and you're ready to expand it. Under Windows XP, atioglxx.dll belongs in C:\Windows\System32 if you have Windows installed in the default location.

Make sure to rename or make a copy of your original file first!

Extract the file to a directory and then in a command prompt or DOS window, type

expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

OR you can add a path to the file if you want to expand it in a different dir, such as

expand c:\temp\atioglxx.dl_ c:\windows\system32\atioglxx.dll

I tried this with the file from Catalyst 4.9 and with Catalyst 4.11 and with both files I was able to run the game, but it loaded slower and when I tried to enable Frame Buffer Effects, the game crashed every time. Not sure why.

I have an ATI 9600 Pro and I'm using 5.2 with pretty much no  problems.  There has been some graphics mess up (on Pegasus, whole textures disappeared by the ebon hawk at the end).  Sometimes the game errors out when it's loading a new section.  Not all the time, maybe once every 5 times.  But it saves before it loads so I don't lose anything.  I just make sure I quicksave often just in case. I'm not to Dantonine(sp?) yet (on my way there now) but I haven't had slowdowns in open spaces.  Quite the opposite actually, I get my best frame rate in open spaces.  using fraps, I was up in the 50's & 60's outside, why getting 30-40's inside, with the occasionaly 10-11 fps (which is probably a program I have running that is accessing the harddrive).  I did recently turn the shadows off since they were ugly and not essiential to the game.....

exactly my problem, but i think it has to do with that we are using a 64bit system, and that it makes calculation error which in turn shutsdown the game :(

might be bad programming as of all the other games ive tried works fine, so this should be fixed with a new patch. YOU HEAR OBSIDIAN, i aint gonna give up on this game yet! please try this for yourself and make it work, please :wub:

sargothsigcopy.jpg

You can get the file by downloading the installer for the Catalyst version you want. Run the installer, pick a directory for the files, and exit before installing. Find the file atioglxx.dl_ and you're ready to expand it. Under Windows XP, atioglxx.dll belongs in C:\Windows\System32 if you have Windows installed in the default location.

Extract the file to a directory and then in a command prompt or DOS window, type

OR you can add a path to the file if you want to expand it in a different dir, such as

I tried this with the file from Catalyst 4.9 and with Catalyst 4.11 and with both files I was able to run the game, but it loaded slower and when I tried to enable Frame Buffer Effects, the game crashed every time. Not sure why.

I'm sure this is already covered in another thread, but what is the benefit of this procedure? Force KOTOR2 to use OpenGL rather than D3D to render images via ATI cards? Will this fix the gamma settings reset problem that I'm apparently having? I'll give a try this evening and see if it works out.

I'm sure this is already covered in another thread, but what is the benefit of this procedure? Force KOTOR2 to use OpenGL rather than D3D to render images via ATI cards? Will this fix the gamma settings reset problem that I'm apparently having? I'll give a try this evening and see if it works out.

KotOR 2 ALLWAYS uses OpenGL, because it's an open gl game..... So it uses OpenGL on ALL cards...

What this procedure does is enabling you to use Ati's latest D3D drivers (5.2) for D3D games and the best OpenGL driver version (4.11) for KotOR 2., since OpenGL drivers 5.2 give problems...

What this procedure does is enabling you to use Ati's latest D3D drivers (5.2) for D3D games and the best OpenGL driver version (4.11) for KotOR 2., since OpenGL drivers 5.2 give problems...

I get it now. This procedure allows me to regularly update my ATI drivers while using an older OpenGL version JUST for KOTOR2... right? Trouble is, if I have the gamma reset problem with the 4.11 drivers installed, this procedure won't fix that problem... just the random crashing problem. Right?

A big part of the problem seems to be that not everyone is experiencing noticable issues, and those that are may not be having the "exact" same issue. Tends to really complicate things.

Case in point: I updated to the 5.2 cats the other day and my main problem, frequent Error reporting form coming up followed by a CTD regardless of what I click, disappeared. I had one crash on telos, none so far on Dantooine. Before I crashed about 10 times just on Harbinger.

However other people are saying that they cannot even play because the game wont load. The more i read on this the more it appears that it isn't completely ATI's drivers, but some serious coding mistakes.

The good thing for me is that even with the frequent crashes I still played for 5+ hours, averageing a crash every 30-40 mins, and just kept reloading and continuing on. I think I maybe addicted.

Bifack-

Had the same problems with KOTOR 1 AND 2.  that makes me think it's a game engine thing...learned to live with fixing the gamma all the time :(

Someone else's help would be greatly appreciated!

;)

I was researching this problem on another msgboard and the problem seems to be that when a cut-scene runs, the ini gamma setting is somehow reset to 0. I haven't been able to test this. However, it doesn't account for the lack of AA too.

Bifack,

From my experiences, I think this is something in the Aurora/Odyssey engine, because not only does this exact same thing happen to me in KOTOR 1 and 2, but in NWN and its expansions, as well. I'm no computer genius, but maybe a cutscene resets all of the card-related ini settings to default. It's weird, this also happens to my sound settings (I did a little test). It's the exact same problem.

It's very strange. And using different drivers doesn't help me at all.

From my experiences, I think this is something in the Aurora/Odyssey engine, because not only does this exact same thing happen to me in KOTOR 1 and 2, but in NWN and its expansions, as well.  I'm no computer genius, but maybe a cutscene resets all of the card-related ini settings to default.  It's weird, this also happens to my sound settings (I did a little test).  It's the exact same problem.

It's very strange.  And using different drivers doesn't help me at all.

Agreed. Different video card drivers don't have ANY effect on this problem... just the crashing prob. Luckily, I only have to reset my settings about once an hour or so, so it's not the end of the world. I guess I should be happy that the game runs since so many people can't seem to get it to work!

guys help me please. My game crashes to desktop when I get killed once by Darth Nihilius. I can't even pick the right strategy on how to kill him because it's so annoying when it crashes to destop all the time.

I have a Radeon 9800, 128 mb. I'm using 5.2 drivers. I know that KOTOR worked great ONLY with 4.2 (or 4.12? I forgot) so since it's the same engine, do you think it'll help?

guys help me please. My game crashes to desktop when I get killed once by Darth Nihilius. I can't even pick the right strategy on how to kill him because it's so annoying when it crashes to destop all the time.

I have a Radeon 9800, 128 mb. I'm using 5.2 drivers. I know that KOTOR worked great ONLY with 4.2 (or 4.12? I forgot) so since it's the same engine, do you think it'll help?

Ever since I reverted back to the 4.1 drivers, I never crash anymore. Granted, I don't know what effect it will have on my other games, so I may have to install the 5.2 drivers and place the 4.11 OpenGL dll into the KOTOR2 directory in order for everything to work. We shall see... :p

My issue is every so often just before a cutscene starts the game cuts to desktop and as on a new game you may not know when cutsdcenes will trigger I cannot save just before one (Example I had just finnished Peragus and headded to the Ebon Hawk ramp (trigering the Cannon cutscene) and bang back to desktop and I was a whole loadscreen back at my last save)

anyone able to help me there (I am abouts at the end of talos I keep trying to find the best planet to move to for me after telos)

i have installed XP SP2 just today. I have ATI 9600SE.

The game starts up to the main screen fine. I choose my character and when i click play and the game starts to load, at about 35% it crashes to desktop (has encountered an rerror and needs to close - send report)

Also tried the .ini fix - no result

All that with the catalyst 5.2.

I uninstalled cat5.2, also used drivercleaner to be sure, and installed 4.11 as a lot of people say it works

Nothing changed. The game still crashes!! Not some time... EVERY DAMN TIME!!!! also with the 4.11 drivers the whole game (that is, the main menu for me) is like it's in the matrix with green stuff flickering all over my screen

I've been trying to fix it 2-3 days and the only thing i managed to do (appart from formating my disk and reinstalling the OS) is hate obsidian and ATI.

I had KOTOR1 and back then i had an nVidia card - no problems there...

But now..... what's that?? And why isn't anyone realy complaining?? I mean, as a customer, demand a patch right now or a refund!! I'm not in the habit of throwing away 45euros you know...

Sorry if this message sounds offensive, but i am really anoyed with the situation

Radeon 9700 Mobility 128MB... had latest drivers from provider, then Omega 5.1, then whichever Omega is based on Cat 4.1 (I think... the Omega number conventions confuse me).

Using 'DVBO=1' in .ini

Still get low FPS in areas with anything even remotely busy (and still on Peragus), can't get and 6x AA or soft shadows, running through smoke is BAD. There is still lag on Darth Sion on the main screen... that is annoying me.

Quite annoyed that the combination of editing .ini file and 4.11 drivers didn't help me... seems to have helped so many others.

Ideas anyone?

NOTE: Could get 6xAA and SS on kotor... but then I bought it after it was patched.

EDIT: Just read SirDuke's post... am also getting green rubbish on my screen with Omega/Cat 4.1s. But only when I have both 6xAA and SS on... movement isn't possible. At least with the 5.2s I just got about 3FPS lol

For people tracking this sort of thing, I want to add how I fixed the massive slowdowns on Dantooine and crashing. As has been mentioned previously, expanding the atioglxx.dl_ from the 4.11 Catalyst package into the SWKotOR2 directory (I otherwise use the 5.2 Catalyst) fixes the problem immediately. Whether I have any other issues, I'll have to wait and see.

I was using the temp fix of going into the Graphic Options and resetting them each time the slowdown happened, but this started giving me Windows Stop Errors instead of a gentle crash to the desktop. For me, the only solution is to use the 4.11 OGL driver for TSL.

I'll update if anything changes, but smooth going so far. Thanks to those that posted/suggested the expanding atioglxx.dl_ from the 4.11 drivers as a fix. :cool:

Radeon 9700 Mobility 128MB... had latest drivers from provider, then Omega 5.1, then whichever Omega is based on Cat 4.1 (I think... the Omega number conventions confuse me).

Using 'DVBO=1' in .ini

Just to be clear...does that ini entry read exactly as you posted it, or were you abbreviating? The proper entry is Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 and everyone I've talked to so far has gone from 1-2 FPS to normal speed once they enter it.

Be certain Soft Shadows are disabled. For some reason they cut frames per second in half or worse on ATI cards.

Be certain Soft Shadows are disabled. For some reason they cut frames per second in half or worse on ATI cards.

I should add, in reply to this, that I use 4x AA, AF off, soft shadows on, V-sync on, grass on, etc and I don't use the Disable Vertex Buffers setting. I recommend people try what may give them the best results overall first (like using the 4.11 OGL driver) with settings as they like, then start using other fixes if that doesn't help. There are a lot of different problems and therefore there are a lot of different fixes. If one doesn't work, move on to the next until you find what works for you. If you do many 'fixes' at once, you won't know which is the one (or which combination) that gives you the best results.

Look I have read all the edits about ati drivers i Have a Pent 4 with everything up to date and the game still locks up at the begining the fuel depot like everthing went into slow motion and the stops communicating. I am an old jedi and have played all of the star wars games can you or someone help I would like to be able to play a few more games before my light saber goes out java script:emoticon(':p')

smilie

Hi, I have read all the posts here and am experiencing my own problems...

When I try to play I go through the Obsidian welcome and the Star Wars starting screen with the 3 jedi. THEN it just goes back to my desktop and I can't get past it..

GRR... any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

BTW, I have an AMD 2600+

1 gig Ram

SP1

I am using the Omega drivers and have tried my catalyst drivers too...

still no luck...

For people tracking this sort of thing, I want to add how I fixed the massive slowdowns on Dantooine and crashing. As has been mentioned previously, expanding the atioglxx.dl_ from the 4.11 Catalyst package into the SWKotOR2 directory (I otherwise use the 5.2 Catalyst) fixes the problem immediately. Whether I have any other issues, I'll have to wait and see.

I was using the temp fix of going into the Graphic Options and resetting them each time the slowdown happened, but this started giving me Windows Stop Errors instead of a gentle crash to the desktop. For me, the only solution is to use the 4.11 OGL driver for TSL.

I'll update if anything changes, but smooth going so far. Thanks to those that posted/suggested the expanding atioglxx.dl_ from the 4.11 drivers as a fix.  :cool:

Just to make sure... In order for this to work, you simply take the OGL 4.11 file from the installer, and place in the kotor II folder?

i want to thank the good folk here for the solutions. i have the 5.2 cats installed and did not want to have to go back to 4.2 cats (like i had to for kotor1) i put in the Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 line and voila! dantooine is running absolutely fine! (wasn't necessary for me to install the 4.11 open gl driver)

thanks a bunch guys and for what it's worth..while, i get occasional game lockups that cause me to have to shut down the program and do a soft reboot, they are far fewer than i had with kotor 1 and the same system.

here's my specs fyi:

athlon 64- 3000

corsair extreme pc4000 ram (512 megs)

sapphire radeon 9600xt (using overdrive function)

(all visuals for AA, fastwrite, textures grass etc enabled. only thing not is soft shadows as per earlier tip)

cat 5.2 driver and control panel

av710 chaintech sound card

logitech 5.1 sound and wireless usb mouse

samung 1740 laser printer (usb)

hauppage pvr usb 2 vid capture

msi neo kt8 mobo

windows xp sp2

benq 1620 dvd recorder

generic 16x dvd player