Continuing: Any news from Atari reg. BG3

Nightblade

I don't know why the other BG3 thread was locked. Maybe it was the Herve Joke.

Anyway, quote ramza:

"I have been browsing every RPG sites and forums for months and apparently, nothing has been said so far.

Actually, I am more interested to see if Atari will buy the Jefferson Code. I have sent many messages to Grok and it appears that Atari has tried to buy it from Interplay. The only problem was that Herve Caen was asking a lot of dough for it. Too bad..."

I thought IP were interested in selling whatever remained. Why ask a lot for a half-finished project that will be outdated soon anyway? Can someone reason with this Herve guy? He should be happy someone would buy it at all. What's *he* going to do with it? :)

[N]

This was posted by Grok,a couple of days ago regarding atari and the d&d license.

I think I've talked about many of these issues before. Whether you like what's happened to D&D or not...well that's entirely up to you.

To date, I think we've done a good job with high marks for trying to expand the D&D "box" and introduce the game/franchise to more gamers. no matter how you cut it, this is important stuff.

All of our titles have been promising and we'll continue to strive for better and better D&D games. I think Heroes was a neat game -- it had some rough edges, but my son and I had an absolute blast playing through it cooperatively.

After all is said and done, Temple was still pretty cool. Bugs and some funky code aside I really enjoyed it.

I'm really surprised to see anyone bash on Demon Stone. One of the best-looking PS2 games ever released, a simple and fun gameplay mechanic, solid story and voice acting from a high-quality studio. It was only lacking multiplayer...maybe Demon Stone 2!

NWN2 on the horizon...Obsidian...Feargus Urquhart...I'm not sure you could ask for a better situation here. Feargus was behind both of the original Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 as well as NWN.

Dragonshard looks very good -- check out the coverage on GameSpot. Another solid studio here with a great RTS track record.

D&D Online is a very different take on MMOs, but should be very interesting and most importantly fun.

BG3...well...more on this later! ;-)

As for a sequel to ToEE, it's primarily a case of having more properties to develop than we have the funding or manpower for. It's certainly more complicated, but that's the core of it.

Grok

When he makes a statement like this, usually some announcement comes within the next few months (always longer than he implies, though). I bet we'll hear something about BG3 before summer.

I would say a 100% no, on the project being Jefferson. The PC Gamer article already stated that it was going to be a prequel. Also, regarding a possible follow up to ToEE is being canned because too many funds are already out supporting d&d games, I highly doubt Jefferson will get bought, let alone funded. Maybe once Dragonshard and d&d online get released then maybe that might be a possibility. I for one think it should be its own game and not BG3, since that

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Surprised to see people bash Demonstone? Lets see, the story was written by a hack writer who made one of the most annoying characters in the Forggoten Realms, its game mechanics are not DnD, its an action arcade game when FR is a RPG setting. I could go more on this but lets just say the very premise of Demonstone makes the game suck. Same reason why BGDA and Heroes suck.

As for Baldur's Gate 3 I say let the license die and move on. There is more to the Forgotten Realms than Baldur's Gate.

Anyway, quote ramza:

Actually, I am more interested to see if Atari will buy the Jefferson Code. I have sent many messages to Grok and it appears that Atari has tried to buy it from Interplay.

[N]

Somehow I have a feeling many messages probably equated into a thousand messages sent by Ramza. :)

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Surprised to see people bash Demonstone?  Lets see, the story was written by a hack writer who made one of the most annoying characters in the Forggoten Realms

Why do you say that? I have read all the Drizzt novels and they weren't that bad. and Drizzt isn't THAT annoying, except that he is a munchkin character (I can't believe I just said that).

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

"Surprised to see people bash Demonstone? Lets see, the story was written by a hack writer who made one of the most annoying characters in the Forggoten"

Don't blame the author for silly fans. Drizzt is no munchkin character. Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Drizzt is no munchkin character. Period.

Well he's a munchkin, but no more than you find in a lot of fantasy novels.

Frankly I blame Tolkien - he started it all with Gimli & Legolas counting orc heads as they chopped in Helm's Deep, if you ask me.

As for BG3 - I am not adverse to a Drizzt cameo provided its no more intrusive than the cameos in the first 2 games.

As far as BG3 goes, this info is from October:

"...BG3 is much more nebulous, we're not even in pre-production so it's harder to say where exactly we're going, but the ideas we've been talking about have been HUGE and very cool. Now we just need to turn the corner and get it rumbling, but it's going to take some time for sure..."

...so, there is a loooooong way to go with this one

Guest Surlent
As for Baldur's Gate 3 I say let the license die and move on.  There is more to the Forgotten Realms than Baldur's Gate.

Yeah, like NWN2. :D

LOL

LOL

LOL

Seriously though, BG3 would kickass if made by one of the hot shots like Obsidian or BIO.

But I rather hope we'd start now getting games (CRPGS damnit :thumbsup: not RTS or hack'nslash console adventure) with Eberron setting instead of FR or Greyhawk.

Well, so Jefferson isn't dead and buried just yet then. There is always hope. :thumbsup:

Anyway, BG3 or not, as long as I get a D&D CRPG where I can control a full 5-6 man party (full detailed control and level-up), 2D or 3D top-angle view, like the Infinity/Mystary engine view, a really good story, good music and voice acts., some juicy intrigues and drows to kill.. well, I'll be happy.

[N]

Well, so Jefferson isn't dead and buried just yet then. There is always hope.  :thumbsup:

Anyway, BG3 or not, as long as I get a D&D CRPG where I can control a full 5-6 man party (full detailed control and level-up), 2D or 3D top-angle view, like the Infinity/Mystary engine view, a really good story, good music and voice acts., some juicy intrigues and drows to kill..  well, I'll be happy.

[N]

Please...don't...feed...ramza. He doesn't need ANY help.

JEFFY IS DEAD, GET ON WITH YOUR LIVES!!!

Brendan Smith, a PR fellow for Atari.  He seems to be the lucky one who deals with D&D topics.

So...um, he's like a stuffed shirt who doesn't really know what the hell he's talking about; that's somewhat reassuring. :)

Actually he seems to be an OK guy. He gets reamed big time on the ToEE forums. This guy has put up with tons of crap (including many bashings from Hades, until he banned Hades), and still answers our questions every once in a while. So I have to give him some credit as he seems to be the most hated guy on the forums at times, and he still has a sense of humor. He

- Steven Erikson