Who Do You Think Should Make KOTOR III?

Obsidian.

Keeping in mind that I only watched a friend play and am waiting for the PC version, I also think that if Obsidian had more time KotOR II would have been better. From what everyone else has said, everything was just as good as, if not better, than KotOR except for the ending which felt rushed. Obviously the rushing wouldn't have happened if LA didn't push up the deadline and Obsidian actually had the time to do what they wanted...

If anyone from Obsidian is reading this, please include in the PC version what you wanted to in the XBox version.

well dispite all the disaprovals of kotor III I believe there is gonig to be a KOTOR III. Remember all the rumours for a kotor II? and there were rumours around the net that there might be a kotor III...(I might get flamed for saying this lol) but I think there is going to be a kotor III even if the lucasarts team got fired.

well dispite all the disaprovals of kotor III I believe there is gonig to be a KOTOR III. Remember all the rumours for a kotor II? and there were rumours around the net that there might be a kotor III...(I might get flamed for saying this lol) but I think there is going to be a kotor III even if the lucasarts team got fired.

I think there will be aswell. Lucasarts aren't one to simply dismiss a cash-cow, and the KOTOR series is one of the fattest they have had in the games industry for a while. (I don't mean KOTOR is s**t by calling it a cash-cow, as some might think. I am simply referring to the money making potential of the KOTOR series).

Should worldwide sales of KOTOR2 be high enough, and we all know they will be, they should begin work on KOTOR3 after seeing the success of KOTOR2. They would be fools not to create a KOTOR3, and I ain't saying that just cus if they dont, i will go round to LA, with my torch and pitchfork, and torture Lucas until he agrees to my demands.

Heres what I have so far for my demands:

Create a KOTOR3 (w00t)

Give KOTOR3 enough time in development to make it a classic (i.e. fix all bugs) :D

Force Mr.Lucas' slaves to work until it is truly ready. :(

Stop screwing over PC and International gamers. :blink:

End his Unholy Alliance with Bill Gates. :o

Er... thats all I got. <_<

Any other ideas. :-"

:p

I think there will be aswell. Lucasarts aren't one to simply dismiss a cash-cow, and the KOTOR series is one of the fattest they have had in the games industry for a while. (I don't mean KOTOR is s**t by calling it a cash-cow, as some might think. I am simply referring to the money making potential of the KOTOR series).

Should worldwide sales of KOTOR2 be high enough, and we all know they will be, they should begin work on KOTOR3 after seeing the success of KOTOR2. They would be fools not to create a KOTOR3, and I ain't saying that just cus if they dont, i will go round to LA, with my torch and pitchfork, and torture Lucas until he agrees to my demands.

Heres what I have so far for my demands:

Create a KOTOR3 (w00t)

Give KOTOR3 enough time in development to make it a classic (i.e. fix all bugs) :D

Force Mr.Lucas' slaves to work until it is truly ready. :(

Stop screwing over PC and International gamers. :blink:

End his Unholy Alliance with Bill Gates. :o

Er... thats all I got. <_<

Any other ideas. :-"

:p

Well i couldn't agree more. there has too be a kotor III. later on someone will come in here and start flamin us for saying there is no kotor III....but there will be lol....despite all the rumours....bla bla bla

"However, Obsidian made many improvements from Bioware's design."

For some reason, I have a hunch that BIo would have made improvements as well. For some reason, I doubt they'd have released KOTOR2 exactly as KOTOR1. I'd imagine there'd be more force powers, feats, and such and who knows what other stuff would be added. Plus, BIo probably would have had at least 2 years.

It's a tad too easy to brag about 'improvements' Obsidian has made considering a lot of the game and espiciailly the engine was already done for them.

P.S. Random loot is NOT an improvement..

As for KOTOR3, I'd say a brand new company should make it simply because it might as well follow the pattern.

Then we can have 3 sets of fans bashing each other about whose KOTOR is the best.

The fun!

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I could go either way on this. I think I'd have faith in either company. The main reason, though, that I'm leaning slightly towards Obsidian is because they wrote the story of KOTOR2 and thus might have a better idea what they want to do to continue that story.

However, if KOTOR3's story is not in any way a continuation (much like K2 wasn't really a continuation, per se, for K1), then I guess it doesn't matter who does it, as long as they aren't Troika. :p

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

*ahcoobullshachoo* Sorry had to sneeze there.  Seeing as Obsidian started development well before KoToR finished and most of the bugs reported thus far are the similar to the ones in KoToR and that the PC version after the first patch was relatively bug free.  It seems more of a case of ignoring the bugs and they will go away.  Before the split they had moved the PC and Xbox versions up to December and then shortly after the PC got pushed back to Feb.  So it really doesn't sound like it got rushed.

I'm open to criticism, but some of your claims conflict with the actual facts. Work on KotOR2 began after KotOR1 shipped, not before. While there were design ideas tossed around before KotOR1 came out, real work on it began around September of last year, giving us roughly 13 months to meet the December release date for the Xbox version.

Any bug fixes in the patched PC version were included in our version of the code.

XBox and PC version were originally announced for a Feb of 2005 release. The decision to release the XBox version in December was made sometime around mid-August.

Not really.  Most companies have total say on final release.  Not all of course, but most.  The developemnt time is costing them in most cases.  In the case of Obsidian and Pendamic(or however it is spelled) it is possible LA pushed, but since both actually had adquite developement time that really isn't an excuse.  In Obisidian's case they had half of the game handed to them.  Most of KoToR,though it uses a different engine, is built like NWN.  That doesn't mean it was for sure totally plug and go, but a lot is very modular allowing for a lot of changes with only resource creation.  BF's problem...

Development houses almost never have any say on release dates when dealing with a Publisher/Developer situation.

-Akari

I can't argue with a dev statement, but as to the development start time I could have sworn it had been quoted by Game Spy in one of the interviews that the development started before KoToR 1 shipped. I assume I remember wrong or misinterpreted the quote. Maybe they (gamespy or the quoted party) had been talking about the design ideas. At least until/if I can find again and possibly prove myself a total fool *shrug*. I prefer to remove all doubt.

You may not be able to or want to comment. And I'll say again I can only go on interviews and other word of mouth due to my Xbox boycott of the game. That said too the 13 months for what sounds like amounts to an expansion, albeit one with a lot more assets and story line than most, seems like adequate dev time for the programmers to clean up bugs unless it is due to the original code being a bit too much for the Xbox to actually handle. Again I don't expect you to comment directly on this, but the part were there is a glitch due to a subplot being removed due to time constraints would seem very plausible. I mean you could spend years on a story and still not put in everything you would want.

I did catch part of an interview/comment the other day (I believe it was on G4TechTV) where whoever it was said you had decrease load times. So maybe that took up your development time rather than the bugs and more time would have allowed you to get these bugs.

I'm sorry most of this is likely things you can't directly comment on so I'll move on.

XBox and PC version were originally announced for a Feb of 2005 release. The decision to release the XBox version in December was made sometime around mid-August.

This I was never disputing. I'll have to see if I can find it, but there was an article someone had that came out shortly before the XBox announcement where I could have sworn they quoted someone as saying that both should come out sometime in December. Maybe I misunderstood what they said, took it out of context, or the writer got it wrong. The only thing that stuck with me from that article was that comment because not long after was the announcement of the XBox December release.

Development houses almost never have any say on release dates when dealing with a Publisher/Developer situation.

I'm sure for every instance I could name(some I would have to re-research the actual name of the game) that had control on the full control of development time(as said by them. of course, like the clear as muddy water relation on who pushed the Xbox version of K2 up, that could just be pr) some could name another company that was not. I'll use an obvious, and a slightly bad but better known, example to prove my point. VTM: Bloodlines release was dictated by Valve, because it used Source it couldn't be released until after HL2. Like I said it is a bit of a bad example because we have the Engine developer(Valve), the game developer(Troika), and the publisher (Activision). And it was Valve dictating not Troika. I guess I should really say dictate because usually it is going to come down to a contractual agreement between both where before then they will have come to an agreement and the company may want/need more time, but the agreement doesn't allow for it. There have also been instances where the company started development before signing with a publisher. There are cases where the developer is the publisher. Then there is Indie as well. Maybe these are all exceptions to the rule and he who screams the loudest is just the most heard.

I want John Madden as a guest Sith Lord.

I was thinking more like NCAA Jedi Knights, you know you could start out as a Jedi an academy

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Why even bother?  Let the series die off so something better canbe worked on.

You mean like what happen with Fallout?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Oh, I am quite jaded and cynical.  To tell the truth I haven't really enjoyed a computer game since BG2.

That's a lie.

Either that or you've lied in other posts where you said you enjoyed KOTOR.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I liked parts of KotOR, but as a whole it left me in a meh feeling.  I am not talking about parts of a game, but the whole thing.  I enjoyed the whole experience of BG2.  I can't say the same with KotOR 1.

That's a lie. You hate everything. I bet there were parts of BG2 you hated as well. Hell, I bet there were parts of Fallout that you complained about constantly too. :rolleyes: