Who Do You Think Should Make KOTOR III?

*ahcoobullshachoo* Sorry had to sneeze there.  Seeing as Obsidian started development well before KoToR finished and most of the bugs reported thus far are the similar to the ones in KoToR and that the PC version after the first patch was relatively bug free.  It seems more of a case of ignoring the bugs and they will go away.  Before the split they had moved the PC and Xbox versions up to December and then shortly after the PC got pushed back to Feb.  So it really doesn't sound like it got rushed.

I'm open to criticism, but some of your claims conflict with the actual facts. Work on KotOR2 began after KotOR1 shipped, not before. While there were design ideas tossed around before KotOR1 came out, real work on it began around September of last year, giving us roughly 13 months to meet the December release date for the Xbox version.

Any bug fixes in the patched PC version were included in our version of the code.

XBox and PC version were originally announced for a Feb of 2005 release. The decision to release the XBox version in December was made sometime around mid-August.

Not really.  Most companies have total say on final release.  Not all of course, but most.  The developemnt time is costing them in most cases.  In the case of Obsidian and Pendamic(or however it is spelled) it is possible LA pushed, but since both actually had adquite developement time that really isn't an excuse.  In Obisidian's case they had half of the game handed to them.  Most of KoToR,though it uses a different engine, is built like NWN.  That doesn't mean it was for sure totally plug and go, but a lot is very modular allowing for a lot of changes with only resource creation.  BF's problem...

Development houses almost never have any say on release dates when dealing with a Publisher/Developer situation.

-Akari

Akari is it any chance that KOTOR 2 PC version will have better graphics than KOTOR 1 PC version?

Are you planning to finish your unfinished subquest from xbox version?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Development houses almost never have any say on release dates when dealing with a Publisher/Developer situation.

-Akari

So Obsidian released a game that was in no way/shape/form ready for retail? It gave a lot of people hope that Lucas Arts rushed your company. But if this is what people can expect from a first major title that was created from a new company, well it prolly won't sit well with any gamer regardless of platform.

I dunno, but its giving me serious second thoughts about the game (and I've been following it for several months now).

I'll certainly be waiting on my friends review of the game before i trust a game site/magazine.

Nich

Akari is it any chance that KOTOR 2 PC version will have better graphics than KOTOR 1 PC version?

Are you planning to finish your unfinished subquest from xbox version?

Textures will always be way better on the PC version. Not to mention framerates and such, depending on the PC.

Content is probably not going to change other than bug fixes. And no, 'The subquest is missing' unfortunately doesn't fall under 'bug fixing'. :lol:

-Akari

-Akari

So Obsidian released a game that was in no way/shape/form ready for retail? It gave a lot of people hope that Lucas Arts rushed your company.

Nich

I'm not sure what you read into my statement. I just clarified that release dates aren't something that the development end of a project has much say over. I'm not sure how being rushed by a publisher is ever a good thing for anyone.

-Akari

Thanks for answers Akari! :lol:

A pity that content will not be improved, but I can live with it.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Why do people keep coming up with new styles of gameplay for KoTOR? Part of KoTOR is the fact that it has a semi unique style of gameplay, if they want to make another rpg without the KoTOR label and use a different engine that would be fine, but leave KoTOR to what it is.

Akari,

I took the statement you made as that Obsidian sent the game as was intended. I might be mistaken; since it was stated that developers set the date not the development houses; I could have easily misread your intention and not your stated fact or train of thought.

Its just I (I honestly couldn't help myself mind you) watched a buddy of mine play the game for a (excrutiatingly brief) few minutes play the game, only to crash twice in the span of 5 minutes.

When rushed by a publisher it will never amount to a good thing. Not for anyone involved. Most of all the player. I'll be keeping a sharp eye on the pc version, but situations like this don't help form a fan base.

On a side note, its cool to still see a dev or two roaming the boards after a product is still released. That is for the most part a first or a rarity.

Anyhow, Happy Holidays everyone. Stay safe and be well.

Nich

(Oh watch out for the egg nog)

I agree. I still love the game and appreciate the fact that I even have it...but It's not what I expected. If anything 'less' problems should have come up due to the engine being already used for the previous game. The fault falls on all involved. I am a consumer and could care less who did what to cause problems behind the scenes..in the end it's still my money.

There should never be this many problems with a console..I don't buy computer games because I know any games I buy for a console will work for that console without the need to buy new memory, etc...

If the reason for the major bugs was the result of pushing the engine to it's limits...than don't push the engines to it's limits. The engine that was being used was already around and I'm sure it's restrictions were known. Robes are great and all but not at the expense of losing gameplay time to bugs or having to restart from the beginning due to game ending glitches.

I don't understand why u people keep complaining about these bugs, i played through this game with out a bug or a glitch ever happening to mw. Actually i had more than a couple glitches happen to me in KOTOR 1.

I don't understand why u people keep complaining about these bugs, i played through this game with out a bug or a glitch ever happening to mw. Actually i had more than a couple glitches happen to me in KOTOR 1.

Well..let me help you out then. We, the people complaining about bugs, are the people who experience the bugs..hence why we're complaining about them and you are not. :rolleyes:

Well..let me help you out then. We, the people complaining about bugs, are the people who experience the bugs..hence why we're complaining about them and you are not. :rolleyes:

I consider myself damn lucky it's working perfectly on mine so far......but I don't doubt others are having issues with it. The real question is whether or not it's the Xbox, or the game, or both.....! This is my second Xbox, as the first one's HDD died within 4 months, taking a MORROWIND save-file with it (meaning I wasted 200+ hours of my life). My new one has had zero issues, even with such mammoths like MORROWIND (another 200+ hours were then clocked in, with a character that woulda been identical to my last, but once he got a goatee for facial hair, things turned out much differently!).....but I digress.

Thank you.

I agree. I still love the game and appreciate the fact that I even have it...but It's not what I expected. If anything 'less' problems should have come up due to the engine being already used for the previous game. The fault falls on all involved. I am a consumer and could care less who did what to cause problems behind the scenes..in the end it's still my money.

I hate that attitude. If you are just a consuimer, then what the hell are you doing here discussing this project? Why should you even care? You're just a consumer, right?

BS.

There should never be this many problems with a console..I don't buy computer games because I know any games I buy for a console will work for that console without the need to buy new memory, etc...

That's BS too. Console games are still pieces of software with millions of lines of code. Uniform hardware is nice, but it doesn't end the potential for human error or oversight. It is impossible for any game designer to guess how every user will play the game. Bugs are a part of software. That's just the way it is.

If the reason for the major bugs was the result of pushing the engine to it's limits...than don't push the engines to it's limits. The engine that was being used was already around and I'm sure it's restrictions were known. Robes are great and all but not at the expense of losing gameplay time to bugs or having to restart from the beginning due to game ending glitches.

Agreed. The frame rate issues should be non-existant in KOTOR2. So should many of the graphical glitches and other game engine items. All of those things should have been documented with the release of KOTOR and stomped out in KOTOR2.

Agreed. I ran into a couple of mission quest bugs, but no serious show stoppers. I wonder how many people with show stopping bugs have modified their xboxes. :-"

In my experience, most of the glitchy behavior was at the end of a long day of play. It can probably be explained by the heat generated by the Xbox.

I think they should work together! That would be nice.

But that prolly won't happen. So, I would have to think on this one. Obsidian did a good job with the gameplay, except the bugs. I loved the gameplay, upgrades and stuff. But the story wasn't all that great. I loved the story Bioware put together. I am not sure which one I would choose. I am sticking with both of them.

I'm sure they will fix some of the quest issues and the dialogue/subtitles mismatching. Hopefully they've fixed the ATI graphics problems from the first KOTOR. I never could get the graphics right when I was on Dantooine during KOTOR. There were just too many kath hounds on screen to render properly.

Releasing a buggy product before it is ready is stupid, especially for the console.  I am not going to join the "Its all Lucas Arts Fault" boat either.  Obsidian made the game, Lucas Arts published it, both are responsible.

releasing a bug free product is almost as impossible as never falling for an internet scam

ive been coding for close to 5 yrs and even I cant say that ive spotted every bug in my coding and i probably never will when it comes to bugs in programing some wont appear until a certain event happens like say i accidentally put 2 certain lightsaber upgrades in my lightsaber that the devs didnt try it might crash the game it might not you never know till it happens yes its up to developer to release a somewhat bug free code but blamming them for not seeing EVERY bug in a game is idiotic you dont like this fact try releasing a 100% bug free youll find it impossible