The music

Well, there is one theme from the old movies that could be used in the Kotor games:

Jedi/Luke/Force (Don't really know what it's called..) theme should be used a lot more, it's the best piece of music in the Star Wars movies, imo. They didn't use it in the first game either, except in the intro movie. Obsidian should use it because it is the song in Star Wars which symbolizes The light side of the force, and 3 seconds of it isn't enough.

I usually mute the music from games and turn winamp on.

I disagree. IMO, Music enhances the gameplay, even if I don't like it. Take Fallout for instance: I hated the Necropolis music, but I hated it because it was so creepy, and therefore it improved the way I experienced Necropolis, i.e. as a very creepy place.

Yea but its meant to be that way. 4000years before episode 1 is supposed to look like in the movies. Part of the SW universe that things don't change much there. It's not like in reality

You say that the Star Wars galaxy doesn't change and this is not in line with reality, but I say the opposite is true -- it is reality. You are trying to frame the SW reality within our own 20th/21st century reality. We are a civilization in the middle of great technological progress, and we are still in some ways at an infancy (technologically). You have to remember that a hypothetical Star Wars galaxy, even 4,000 years before Ep1, is well beyond "us" in technology as we stand today. It is not a stretch that once a civilization goes Type I or Type II that it takes many thousands of years for technology to progress to a further point. It isn't a stretch, imo, for a hypothetical SW galaxy to look technologically similar "today" as 4,000 years later. Once you hit an apex of technology, things don't progress at nearly the rate you saw in the 19th and 20th centuries for example. If anything, civilizations fall and must rebuild themselves from scratch. I adhere to the Spenglerian paradigm on this -- that is, civilizations are like any other life process -- they are born, flourish, then die. This is what makes the SW galaxy (and other "space" sci-fi genres) very intriguing to me.

Warp drive is warp drive (or as in SW "hyperspace".) How does one improve upon a hypothetical FTL travel technology? How does one improve upon a lightsaber? A kolto tank? A Taris? A Citadel Station?

This topic was discussed at length over on the Bioware boards and is a fun one to ponder.

That's why I have already said that this is all question of aesthetics. SW already had established vision of ancient galaxy before KOTOR appeared, and please don't jump with science - this is not star trek, its the space fantasy called Star Wars where science is only a decoration. IMO all arguments like "spenglerian paradigme blah,blah" are ridiculous.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Don't think so. In fact, only small mind tries to pin up science to pure fantasy that Star Wars is.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Don't think so. In fact, only small mind tries to pin up science to pure fantasy that Star Wars is.

Ever heard of something called science fiction? The last time I checked, SW was considered part of the genre. Your argument is fatuous, and I refuse to engage miniscule minds that obviously aren't even native English speaking.

To say science is not a part of Star Wars is like saying the "car" was not part of Knight Rider. Ridiculous. End of argument.

Ever heard of something called science fiction? The last time I checked, SW was considered part of the genre. Your argument is fatuous, and I refuse to engage miniscule minds that obviously aren't even native English speaking.

To say science is not a part of Star Wars is like saying the "car" was not part of Knight Rider. Ridiculous. End of argument.

[sarcasm]Wow, you win!!![/sarcasm]

*get him, Nur*

Lucas emphasizes at least ten times in his dvd commentaries that SW is no science fiction; if you don't believe anyone else you could at least take the creator's word for it.

I concede that SW is not considered "hard science fiction," but it still falls under the "softer" genre of sci-fi.

If it weren't sci-fi, why all the emphasis on "hyperspace" (a real concept) and FTL travel and light sabers based on plasmas etc.. etc..? It is primarily, fantasy, sure, but fantasy based on sci-fi. Technically, I suppose you could call it "pulp science fiction." Even the online encyclopedias categorize it is "science fantasy." Wikipedia says:

"Star Wars is an outstanding example of the space opera sub-genre of science fiction."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars

Little of Star Wars is not based on some sort of scientific concept (no matter how far fetched). Really, besides the "force," what is not sci-fi about it? Even "the force" has some philosophical and scientific relevance to it, and it smacks of Schopenhauer and Spencer (proto-Darwinism), with the main difference being that the "force" in SW is often physically manipulated by sentient beings, whereas in the philosophies it was the instigator and propellant of life.

All in all, when one begins to insert spaceships, plasma rifles, and FTL travel into their stories, it quits being merely fantasy and becomes more sci-fi, or as in SW case, both.

You have a point here; but SW's hyperspace ships leak gas, need to be punched in the panel to get to work, no one ever needs a life support system in alien environments and moves around as if it's their home planet, no single amount of thought goes into how a lightsaber 'works' at all -all we know is that there is a crystal, well, of course there is one.....

Some of the EU could be considered sci-fi in so far as it makes an effort to understand how the technology works, or seriously makes 'thought-experiments' in galactic politics, alien biology, etc. --the films are no way near that; every futuristic bit is a cool gimmick for Lucas and that's it. When the EU wants to build on that, it's another story. BUT still at the core of it, it's all *fantasy*, I believe.

One example that I can think of is that in the films, hyperspace travel is only a cool visual effect -in the TotJ comics we see some effort to explain what interstellar exploration could entail, how the pioneers would have established routes through uncharted space, how a political system can be built on that, etc. --that does come near sci-fi; but Han Solo's ship doesn't.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

@Tasthius

Nur Ab Sal is right when he says that in the SW universe science is only a decoration. Of course over 4000 years civilizations develope quite a bit :blink: but thats besides the point.

SW is a fantasy universe in which this element of "progress" is not part. Differences between the time of Revan and Vader are only cosmetic and only if they serve storytelling (for example the extent of the Republic).

I think that proto-darwinism, Spengler (90% of his theories proved to be wrong BTW, in a contrary to Toynbee) and Schopenhauer have nothing common with Star Wars, becouse Star Wars was entirely based on oriental philosophies, mainly Zen and Daoism. If someone doesn't see that fact, he only shows how unlettered he is.

Tashius or whatever your name is, you have a honor to be the biggest nerd on this forum. Not only you're stuck up and arrogant, but also you throw some outdated XIXth century philosophies into our faces (which is a silly thing to do on a gaming board) while a little more appropriate would be discussing Zen and its giant influence on SW. But obviously your ignorance is too big to notice the mediocrity of your insight.

You must be very frustrated. Better find yourself a girlfriend. Otherwise people will

continue to make fun of you. :p

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

not contradicting you, just wanting to sort out the facts so i can develop my own opinion. how do you know that it is based entirely on oriental philosophies and also explain the link?

ps pulling stats out your ass isnt conducive to a good argument nur ab :p

Nur Ab Sal is right when he says that in the SW universe science is only a decoration. Of course over 4000 years civilizations develope quite a bit  but thats besides the point.

I beg to differ with your synthetic judgement. :cool:

Actually, as I said in a previous post, it is not unlikely that a civilization far more advanced than any we have seen on earth would reach a technological apex inasmuch as further progress in technology is seriously hindered to a point of almost abeyance, and therefore slowing progress tremedously to a point where there may be little tangible difference in a couple of thousand years.

I think that proto-darwinism, Spengler (90% of his theories proved to be wrong BTW, in a contrary to Toynbee) and Schopenhauer have nothing common with Star Wars, becouse Star Wars was entirely based on oriental philosophies, mainly Zen and Daoism. If someone doesn't see that fact, he only shows how unlettered he is.

No, it only shows the one pointing the finger of unlettering as being unlettered himself. Schopenahauer was well known as having a close affinity with a lot of eastern ideas. He also predated Darwin and Spencer.

Tashius or whatever your name is, you have a honor to be the biggest nerd on this forum.

----Bows head---- I usually acquire that reputation most places I venture.

Not only you're stuck up and arrogant, but also you throw some outdated XIXth century philosophies into our faces (which is a silly thing to do on a gaming board)

What exactly constitutes outdated? Would you have been more happy if I would have thrown Dewey, Wittgenstein or even Foucalt in your eye?

while a little more appropriate would be discussing Zen and its giant influence on SW. But obviously your ignorance is too big to notice the mediocrity of your insight.

Everything Zen? I don't think so.

You must be very frustrated. Better find yourself a girlfriend. Otherwise people will continue to make fun of you. 

--marks on pad--- What else would you like to reveal about yourself to the good doctor, Nur?

Nur Ab Sal is right when he says that in the SW universe science is only a decoration. Of course over 4000 years civilizations develope quite a bit  but thats besides the point.

I beg to differ with your synthetic judgement. :cool:

Actually, as I said in a previous post, it is not unlikely that a civilization far more advanced than any we have seen on earth would reach a technological apex inasmuch as further progress in technology is seriously hindered to a point of almost abeyance, and therefore slowing progress tremedously to a point where there may be little tangible difference in a couple of thousand years.

So what was your earlier post about then?

I was just trying to say that Star Wars is a story not a reality. There is no need for logic in there.

Hence your assumptions about the life and death of civilizations don't apply here.

Because the Jedi Knight series was a rip-off of the original movies, and didn't have a plot like KotOR does of it's own. 

I think you are referring to the new Jed Knights.

The original game was brilliant, and was made internally by Lucas Art itself (during their golden era), so saying that it was a 'ripp off' of the original movies is kinda rendundant.

The original Jedi Knight is propably the closest a game has ever gotten to 'capture' the feel of the original movies, for whatever that's worth to anybody...