A Plea to Lucasarts/Obsidian

I know nothing about this business, so there are probably a dozen reasons why this plea is completely unfeasible, but I'm going to ask this anyway.

Take your time, delay the PC release and fix the ending. Make the final act of the game as good as the other acts we so lovingly played through. I doubt you can have it done by February 2005, but thats fine. Delay it till March or May or whenever. Then go back, and release the new ending as an X-box Live Content Update for X-Box users, like Bioware did with Yavin for the first game.

There's nothing wrong with making a mistake. We all do. Just please try and fix it. This was a fantastic game for the first 38 hours of gameplay. Give the fans an ending we can be proud of. If you need to leave it open-ended for another sequel, thats fine, but even the Empire Strikes Back had closure.

I know nothing about this business, so there are probably a dozen reasons why this plea is completely unfeasible, but I'm going to ask this anyway.

Take your time, delay the PC release and fix the ending.  Make the final act of the game as good as the other acts we so lovingly played through.  I doubt you can have it done by February 2005, but thats fine.  Delay it till March or May or whenever.  Then go back, and release the new ending as an X-box Live Content Update for X-Box users, like Bioware did with Yavin for the first game. 

There's nothing wrong with making a mistake.  We all do.  Just please try and fix it.  This was a fantastic game for the first 38 hours of gameplay.  Give the fans an ending we can be proud of.  If you need to leave it open-ended for another sequel, thats fine, but even the Empire Strikes Back had closure.

I agree. I truly hope the PC Version has some fixes to it, with a revised ending. But I doubt it will be delayed. Lucas gives a deadline, deadline must be met, even if the product ships unfinished.

This mindset of (ship it now, no matter what!) is one of the main reasons Star Wars: Galaxies is failing, as multitudes of subscribers are dropping from that game on a daily basis.

- dr cloak

K2 is not X-box live functional.  The XBOX version cannot be patched.  I still think LA should fix the PC version, though, to heck with delays.  They have their money, now give us a finished product.

I was hoping the X-Box users wouldn't have to stay screwed if they did fix the ending for the PC version. If X-box users would have to buy a completely new version of the game, then they won't do it. I may not know the business, but I can't see any company releasing a new version of the game that leaves the owners of the first version SOL.

K2 is not X-box live functional.  The XBOX version cannot be patched.  I still think LA should fix the PC version, though, to heck with delays.  They have their money, now give us a finished product.

I was hoping the X-Box users wouldn't have to stay screwed if they did fix the ending for the PC version. If X-box users would have to buy a completely new version of the game, then they won't do it. I may not know the business, but I can't see any company releasing a new version of the game that leaves the owners of the first version SOL.

Hehe. What I want to know, is how a crack/elite team like Obsidian, could spend like 30 minutes designing the ending sequence, and actually ship this game to shelves with a straight face. <_<

- dr cloak

Hehe.  What I want to know, is how a crack/elite team like Obsidian, could spend like 30 minutes designing the ending sequence, and actually ship this game to shelves with a straight face.  <_<

- dr cloak

In all honesty, it probably wasn't their fault. Someone somewhere said "we're shipping NOW!" and they had to make do with what they had.

How do you know they didn't spend 5 weeks planning the ending, and 5 minutes trying to force the implementation?  In fact, knowing the history of these devs, I'd say that was more the case.

Are you being serious? Over a month to plan that ending? ROFL. Not to rip on that statement, but a grade schooler with no game design skills could have cooked up something better in less than a day.

In addition, if the ending sequence was 5-10 minutes long, then yes, I could see this point of view.

- dr cloak

Are you being serious?  Over a month to plan that ending?  ROFL.  Not to rip on that statement, but a grade schooler with no game design skills could have cooked up something better in less than a day.

- dr cloak

God knows I could have. My scripting skill is limited, but even I could have conjured up a better End Conversation with all the cast members. It may not have been visually astounding, and still a bit of a let down since I don't have the skills to script out a full-on cut scene, but it would certainly be better that that piece of dren called an ending.

Are you being serious?  Over a month to plan that ending?  ROFL.  Not to rip on that statement, but a grade schooler with no game design skills could have cooked up something better in less than a day.

- dr cloak

God knows I could have. My scripting skill is limited, but even I could have conjured up a better End Conversation with all the cast members. It may not have been visually astounding, and still a bit of a let down since I don't have the skills to script out a full-on cut scene, but it would certainly be better that that piece of dren called an ending.

maybe the ending is supposed to be like that. like the end of halo2 left you asking questions and it wasn't an awesome ending

I don't own, and never will own, a single Halo game.

I don't mind questions from an ending, but I want CLOSURE. This game had 0 Closure. Hell a quick voice over from Mira or Atton would have been nice, saying the Exile disappeared into the Unknown Regions to go after Revan, but that the worst was yet to come (further hinting at what Kreia was going on about), would have done WONDERS for wrapping up the game.

There were 3 other people in the room with me for the last few hours of gameplay, 2 of which had never played through the first game, and we all said "THAT WAS IT?!" These guys aren't gamers, only one of them is a Star Wars nut, but we all like a good story, and ALL of us were highly displeased by that ending. To get all 4 of us to agree on anything unanimously is a minor miracle. That alone should say how crappy the ending is right there.

I don't own, and never will own, a single Halo game.

I don't mind questions from an ending, but I want CLOSURE.  This game had 0 Closure.  Hell a quick voice over from Mira or Atton would have been nice, saying the Exile disappeared into the Unknown Regions  to go after Revan, but that the worst was yet to come (further hinting at what Kreia was going on about), would have done WONDERS for wrapping up the game.

I certianly hope you just pulled that ending material from out of your ass, because if not, you are the worlds biggest prick for posting the ending of a game (no matter how crappy it is) in a, supposedly, spoiler free forum.

Way to go jackass,

And that is why the Ending sucks.

Because YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't say anything more about it without actually giving spoiilers, but what I wrote was an example of something ANYTHING to give the game an ending.

You could have the voice over I mentioned. you could do a voice over saying you found a new jedi order. you could have a voice over saying you took the mantle of Darth. You could have a voice over saying you Visas and the Handmaiden got together and had hot 3way action because there IS NO RESOLUTION OF ANY KIND, other than with Kreia.

I thought KOTOR1's LS ending sucked, but the JOURNEY was worth replaying alone. I thought the DS ending was a bit better, but ultimately, I didn't mind either endings (but preferred the DS, and that is why it was selected as the background info for KOTOR2)

I didn't mind HALO 2's either. I guess I'll have to see for myself, but I doubt I'll be PO'd by and ending sequence when the ride there kicks this much ass.

I thought KOTOR1's LS ending sucked, but the JOURNEY was worth replaying alone.  I thought the DS ending was a bit better, but ultimately, I didn't mind either endings (but preferred the DS, and that is why it was selected as the background info for KOTOR2)

I didn't mind HALO 2's either.  I guess I'll have to see for myself, but I doubt I'll be PO'd by and ending sequence when the ride there kicks this much ass.

I didn't think I could be either. I heard all the complaining and figured it was just the usual whining. The game was SO good, SO much fun, I figured any ending would be satisfactory. Boy, was I wrong.

you could do a voice over saying you found a new jedi order.  you could have a voice over saying you took the mantle of Darth.  You could have a voice over saying you Visas and the Handmaiden got together and had hot 3way action because there IS NO RESOLUTION OF ANY KIND, other than with Kreia.

Couldnt agree more.

It kinda takes away from the story. At least ESB ended with the the characters talking to each other and resolving some of issues.

I thought KOTOR1's LS ending sucked, but the JOURNEY was worth replaying alone.  I thought the DS ending was a bit better, but ultimately, I didn't mind either endings (but preferred the DS, and that is why it was selected as the background info for KOTOR2)

I didn't mind HALO 2's either.  I guess I'll have to see for myself, but I doubt I'll be PO'd by and ending sequence when the ride there kicks this much ass.

I wish I could agree with you, but when I saw the ending of KotOR 2 for the first time (DS), I was actually depressed, despite the fact that everything before the ending was awesome. :wub:

Take your time, delay the PC release and fix the ending.  Make the final act of the game as good as the other acts we so lovingly played through.  I doubt you can have it done by February 2005, but thats fine.  Delay it till March or May or whenever.  Then go back, and release the new ending as an X-box Live Content Update for X-Box users, like Bioware did with Yavin for the first game. 

There's nothing wrong with making a mistake.  We all do.  Just please try and fix it.  This was a fantastic game for the first 38 hours of gameplay.  Give the fans an ending we can be proud of.  If you need to leave it open-ended for another sequel, thats fine, but even the Empire Strikes Back had closure.

You can cry a river for Lucasarts, but they aren't listening. Since one platform can't have "Director's cut"-ending, there will be no exclusive for the other, especially since Microsoft have payed fair share of the publishing money in KotOR + and they certainly don't want their platform to have a product so infirior as a lacking ending compared to the other.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If people were unhappy w/ KotOR, its because LA rushed its development. LA was losing money so they needed a big money maker like KotOR II. Its also why they laid off 31 employees including members of the KotOR III pre-production team. Hopefully if enough people buy KotOR II, they might decided to fix its problems and deliver a better PC version.

All this rushing. Everything is rushed, what the heck is happening to LucasArts? Battlefront, KOTOR 2, probably something else too...

Some say that they stopped making games, and started "manufacturing products for the consumer-based need".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe they wouldn't be in financial trouble if they actually had a clue what they were doing. <_<

The backlash they received and the bad reputation they endured because of the whole "simultaneous release" fiasco alone is enough to hurt their market share and possible revenue. A company reaps what they sew.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)