Its official 8.5 Graphics= Lazy Dev

FPS games are all eye candy.  That's there function.  CRPG is all about story, so graphics are secondary.

the fact that crpg graphics is secondary (at least to hades,) does not improve the graphics in a crpg, does they? just 'cause you is a crpg fan not mean that you gotta suffer from this ridiculous case o' pen1s envy for fps graphics. halo2 does have better graphics than kotor2. to give same score to both games

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

the fact that crpg graphics is secondary (at least to hades,) does not improve the graphics in a crpg, does they?  just 'cause you is a crpg fan not mean that you gotta suffer from this ridiculous case o' pen1s envy for fps graphics.  halo2 does have better graphics than kotor2.  to give same score to both games

Why can't CRPGs have the same quality graphics? In fact, an RPG deserves better than a FPS because you interact up close with NPCs, while in a FPS you kill from a distance. The popularity of Counterstrike shows that graphics aren't all-important in a FPS.

By keeping the level of the graphics slighty behind (at least compared to Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 for the PC), gives the advantage of a greater potential market, meaning that no many people upgrade their PC every 3 months so to play Doom 3 at a super high resolution.

The same applied to the Jedi Knight games, they were always a generation behind in graphics engines, still they are fun to play.

To summarize we want good graphics but no the best available, cause many of us wouldn't be able to play the game.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

"KOTOR II's overall story is not quite as strong as the sweeping epic of the original, but its pieces are more compelling... The story starts strong but stumbles across the finish line."

The framerate issues didn't surprise me, you're trying to run this thing on a 500 MgHz processor. I was surprised by these comments. I really was expecting/hoping for a great storyline with a gigantic twist (making the KOTOR 1 twist seem paltry by comparison). PS:T's twist(s) did this, and I expected an encore. I guess I just have to accept that those days aren't coming back.  :thumbsup:

753 MHz

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Meh.

IGN's notorious for being stingy with graphics scores. They base them on age, and not how good they actually look. For example, the sprites from Final Fantasy 6 still look better than bad polygons, but IGN will happily give bad polygons a higher score in graphics. :thumbsup:

By keeping the level of the graphics slighty behind (at least compared to Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 for the PC), gives the advantage of a greater potential market, meaning that no many people upgrade their PC every 3 months so to play Doom 3 at a super high resolution.

The same applied to the Jedi Knight games, they were always a generation behind in graphics engines, still they are fun to play.

To summarize we want good graphics but no the best available, cause many of us wouldn't be able to play the game.

I agree; there's nothing badly wrong or outdated about KOTOR II's graphics, so why try and fix what isn't broken? They still look beautiful. Also, I was pretty happy when it was announced that KOTOR II was gonna have similar graphics, because (for me) it makes it feel more like part of the same series than if they'd used a new, totally different engine. But then, I'm odd like that :thumbsup:

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

FPS games are all eye candy.  That's there function.  CRPG is all about story, so graphics are secondary.

the fact that crpg graphics is secondary (at least to hades,) does not improve the graphics in a crpg, does they? just 'cause you is a crpg fan not mean that you gotta suffer from this ridiculous case o' pen1s envy for fps graphics. halo2 does have better graphics than kotor2. to give same score to both games

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Why can't CRPGs have the same quality graphics? In fact, an RPG deserves better than a FPS because you interact up close with NPCs, while in a FPS you kill from a distance. The popularity of Counterstrike shows that graphics aren't all-important in a FPS.

You have to allocate resources within the company to make those engines. Halo 2 was, what, three years in development? If Bioware or Obsidian had the money and resources Blizzard has, we might be seeing one of the best graphics engines.

Because RPGs have massive worlds and FPS don't, we don't want anyone to pull a Sudeki (that game sucked).

true, they were saying the graphics were no improvement on the original, well tbh the originals graphics were great! even by todays standards (lol like a year marks a whole new age of graphics neways!)

Actually they said the graphics where slightly approved

the fact that crpg graphics is secondary (at least to hades,) does not improve the graphics in a crpg, does they?  just 'cause you is a crpg fan not mean that you gotta suffer from this ridiculous case o' pen1s envy for fps graphics.  halo2 does have better graphics than kotor2.  to give same score to both games

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well when someone is judging a game he should have an index where various ascpects of the game have a different weight.

The analogy in this index should be different between different categories of games.

I.e. graphics is FPS nowadays count for almost 50% of the game, whereas in an RPG it is something like 20-30% in my opinion.

I think you can see my point.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

hav sed this before, will say it again

rpgs are about the story and the characters and the game mechanics

in kotor all these elements were present to a high degree of quality, some pretty good graphics added to the ingame experience.

in tsl the story, in my opinion, sounds better, we know the character development is going to be superior by far, and as for the game mechanics they worked extremely well in kotor so changing them, even if they were 'better' for the change, would ruin the feel of the new game. graphics will stay the same, and they are competent graphics, not exceptional but competent, since all the other ares of tsl seem to be superlative the fact that graphics are not exceptional does not matter. this is the case with all of best rpgs

sorry for the ramble evry1!

also, keep in mind that the division between genres is often suspect. how many games has you seen marketed as multi-genre? more each day? we gotta come up with a new measure for each cross-genre category? what if a game is MORE a crpg than an adventure or fps? what if the reverse is true?

bah!

HA! Good Fun!

It's a shame that someone would bash a game so harshly on graphics (which aren't bad graphics, just not the newest, brightest pixel shaded wonder of the moment), instead of focusing more on the only really important elements in an rpg--plot and character development and ultimately replability.

Ever played a little game called Fable? Beautiful graphics, amazing use of bloom lighting, but plot? The plot was a cheezy rip-off of every run-of-the-mill rpg made in the last ten years. I just couldn't get into the story, even if the combat system was well implemented and you could wear a mohawk and a quasi-superman tatt. But hey, great graphics right? <_<

Did the load times of the first KOTOR really ruin the experience for any of you Xboxers out there? It didn't for me. Morrowind's load times were far more irritating, and yet IGN didn't give them nearly as much hell for it. Nor for the horrid graphics.

I think this all boils down to one very important point: the only opinion that matters is your own--not the opinion of some trolling jerk-off that hasn't even played the game yet, nor a professional reviewer that harps on graphics on one game and lets it slide on another.

Xbox reviews do seem to focus on technical aspects far too much for my taste. And the notion that Xboxers care more about technical issues over solid role playing elements is sadly mistaken. I think the industry and its media circuit are forgetting the reason why many of us bought Xbox's in the first place: because we ain't got the cash to fund a Half-Life 2 or Doom3 calibur computer at the moment--poor college student syndrome, I like to call it.

As far as bugs go, that is an offense far less forgivable, but we've yet to see how much these bugs will impact the actual enjoyment factor of the game. Time and legions of KOTOR fans will tell.

Just remember this boys and girls, when forming your opinions: it took Big Blue Box & LionHead 4 years to create a beautiful but weak Fable. In roughly a year or so, Obsidian has created a far superior rpg with average graphics. Even using an existing engine, that's still a tight schedule. Be thankful that Obsidian got it right where it counts, instead of pushing an overhyped game that ultimately wasn't quite as good as it should have been.

Congrats to Obsidian for pulling this one off. Now lets just hope that LucasArts doesn't do KOTOR3 in-house; not even an Xbox2 certified graphics engine could make the Force strong with that one. :p Just look what they did with our beloved trilogy. Another case of wicked special effects and um... story... what story? There was supposed to be plot development? :ermm: Thank god for Ewan Mcgregor and Frank Oz. Otherwise E1 & E2 would have been insufferable. Britts and little green men save the day again. :D

I was surprised by these comments. I really was expecting/hoping for a great storyline with a gigantic twist

To be quite honest we were told not to expect a twist long ago and twists alone don't decide how good a plot arc may be. It would be repetative. I'm really quite surprised at peoples reaction though. It recieved a high score, yet you all seem to focus on the few negatives. Where is your faith?

If you're all so fickle why have you all been here, posting and salivating, waiting for this very game?

Psst. And since when has KOTOR been described as a sweeping epic?

oh come now.  clearly you is being silly.  notice we compare half-life 2 to vampires game, and halo2 to kotor2?  obviously there is different standards as 'tween the various platforms.  do not reduce your argument to such ridiculous levels that it becomes meaningless.

is no reason not to compare halo2 to kotor or vampire:bloodlines to half-life2.

I don't think a comparison to different genres is very comparable. Fair? Who knows? Helpful? Not really. I would imagine the coding is vastly different for a shooter than an rpg. Also, writing thousands of pages of dialogue allocates resources toward that end instead of graphics. Not much dialogue in Halo. So should they be penalized because the nature of the game is different? A straight comparison is not helpful, the nature of shooters will always place their graphics quality above an rpg. A genre comparison seems more realistic.