Your favourite movie of 2004.

KOTORFanactic

Seeing as though we are nearing the end of 2004, I thought we may like to share our favourite movie of 2004. (dont need to post now, in December/2005 is good aswell).

Mine would have to be The Incredibles. Funny, deals with real life situations (marital problems, kid problems etc) and the characters were so beleiveable.

Well, post away.

can't name a single favourite. here (in no particular order) are my top 5:

1. eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

2. lost in translation

3. collateral

4. hero

5. harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban

honourable mentions: spiderman 2, chronicles of riddick (not actually a good movie but i enjoyed it)

films released in 2004 that i want to see but haven't yet: the incredibles, garden state

dumber than a bag of hammers

Troy

;)

Collateral, Incredibles, Garden State, Shrek 2, Spider-Man 2, The Bourne Supremecy, Shaun of the Dead, Napoleon Dynamite (if only for the dancing), and The Girl Next Door are all solid flicks this year in my book.

But if I had to pick two of them, and I know I am forgetting a bunch of films, it would be The Incredibles followed by The Girl Next Door.

I can't wait to see the director's cut of Riddick. I'll likely buy a copy (and Pitch Black as well), as the fate of the series depends on how well DVD sales go, and I really want it to keep going.

Spider-Man 2 was really good as well. Molina was brilliant and he and Maguire worked extremely well together and had a much better dynamic than with DeFoe.

What I didn't like was the impending return of the Green Goblin, or at least, the indication that the same suit will be used again. That was a travesty in the first film and I'd hate to see it repeated.

newlogo.gif

1. Rumors are that the 3rd Spider-Man films villian will be Venom. Nor is there an solid indication that it will be the last film in the series. Just maybe the last for some of those involved. The Marvel people talked about wanting to turn it into kind of a Bond franchise.

2. You guys liked CoR?

I LOVED Pitch Black. But I hate how they made Riddick this supernatural last of his kind warrior in CoR. Destroyed the whole film for me. In Pitch Black he was just this mortal man who trained himself (with a little help from some minor surgery) to be this killer badass. In CoR he becomes freaking Luke-Last of his kind and the galaxies last hope-Skywalker. That coupled with the freaking Borg rip off and thier "underverse", granted I've never actually seen a ST movie but I get the jist, ruined the film for me.

If they only just would have stuck with the gritty realistic universe from Pitch Black.

Also, they lost the "He's a villian...but he's human" feel of Pitch Black. He just felt like another action star in CoR.

2. You guys liked CoR?

yeah, more than pitch black in fact. i mean, i liked pitch black but it was more downbeat SF whereas CoR was more like Conan in space. plus the girl in CoR was a thousand times hotter than the one in PB.

i don't think CoR was a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it was certainly one of the movies i most enjoyed in 2004 & i'm looking forward to the sequel.

Pitch Black is no doubt better than CoR, and from what I've read in interviews Vin is in agreement. He wants the next Riddick film to return to the more spartan, lower-budget R-rated form of PB rather than a huge-budget over-produced CGI PG-13 extravaganza.

The last-of-his-kind thing is a bit cheesey, but it's not a big deal for me. I think the concept is more that he falls unwittingly into the prophecy of one culture, rather than being the big hero. Cliched yes, but at least it has a darker theme to it, rather than a Luke Skywalker type scenario.

I didn't get the implication that Riddick was some supernatural hero; so he's the last of a race (which given what the Necromongers do for an un-living, is completely plausible), but that doesn't change that he is a self-trained bad-ass with minor surgical enhancements.

There's also nothing that says he's a saviour of the galaxy; he's found himself in command of a very evil culture.

If the next film does go back to the feel and style of Pitch Black, I think there's a great deal of potential for a dark, gritty story.

yeah, more than pitch black in fact. i mean, i liked pitch black but it was more downbeat SF whereas CoR was more like Conan in space. plus the girl in CoR was a thousand times hotter than the one in PB.

That's exactly what CoR was, Conan in space. There were scenes in the film that would fit perfectly in a Conan film.

There were a few girls in Pitch Black...

newlogo.gif

i don't think CoR was a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it was certainly one of the movies i most enjoyed in 2004 & i'm looking forward to the sequel.

You'll be waiting for awhile. Vins next film is The Pacifier. He plays, no I'm not kidding, a Navy Seal assigned to babysit a group of kids. It's a comedy in the grand tradition of Suburban Commando. He's ****ed.

You'll be waiting for awhile. Vins next film is The Pacifier. He plays, no I'm not kidding, a Navy Seal assigned to babysit a group of kids. It's a comedy in the grand tradition of Suburban Commando. He's ****ed.

It's his Kindergarden Cop. You know, showing he's more than an action guy (which he is, it just pains me to see actors I like in crap films).

newlogo.gif

I didn't get the implication that Riddick was some supernatural hero

His race was apparently the only ones strong enough to fight these people off, at least for awhile. He's like a mandalorian or something.

So Supernatural is the best word, I guess I should have said "more than human".

I mean did you see some of the retard wire stunts in CoR? Where he jumps and the leader with a knife and is just kinda floating towards him?

None of that **** in PB

There's also nothing that says he's a saviour of the galaxy; he's found himself in command of a very evil culture.

Are you suggesting he is going to do a 180 from his goodie two shoes role in CoR and destroy the galaxy?

I'll tell you what happens in the sequel. He goes to the underverse, he some how gets the girl to come back to life.

If the next film does go back to the feel and style of Pitch Black, I think there's a great deal of potential for a dark, gritty story.

If anyone lets him do the next film, it will have to go back to the style of the first. No one is going to give him CoR money again.

did kindergarten cop stop schwartzenegger's career? no. they'll doubtless greenlight a COR sequel at some point once they've counted up the returns from the international release, the DVD and the video game.

plus i don't buy that it will be 'gritty' like PB either. everything i read suggested that the LOTR-style of CoR was the direction that twohy and diesel wanted for the franchise in the first place ... 'gritty' don't build franchises. just compare the receipts for aliens with those for alien 3 and you'll see what i mean. cheesy CGI-style epics with hot chicks is the way to go.

plus i don't buy that it will be 'gritty' like PB either. everything i read suggested that the LOTR-style of CoR was the direction that twohy and diesel wanted for the franchise in the first place ... 'gritty' don't build franchises. just compare the receipts for aliens with those for alien 3 and you'll see what i mean. cheesy CGI-style epics with hot chicks is the way to go.

Taken from scifi.com:

Vin Diesel, who starred in The Chronicles of Riddick, told SCI FI Wire that he thinks the franchise will soldier on, even though it fared less well at the box office than hoped.

"It depends who you ask," Diesel said in an interview while promoting the DVD release of The Chronicles of Riddick Unrated Director's Cut. "For me, we made Pitch Black with $20 million. I think you can continue this character regardless of the film budget."

Diesel added, "Will the next film be a PG, $100 million-and-something movie? Could the next film be

newlogo.gif