Short Lightsabers?

I wonder if the guy writing the article was trying to drop a hint that they have been improved imensely over KOTOR.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

True, the short sabers did less damage than normal ones, but this was balanced by reducing the attack penalty of using an off-hand weapon. This may seem counterintuitive, but it actually makes sense. With the reduced penalty, you have a higher chance of scoring a hit with the off-hand short saber. Even though the hit does less damage, you hit more often, so it evens out in the end. In some cases, like with hard-to-hit opponents, it actually works in your favor, because a little damage a lot of the time ususally comes out ahead of a lot of damage a little of the time.

Live forever or die trying.

jengaaaaux2.gif

What was so special about these in the first game? In the IGN preview the guy made them sound like they were cool. Also, some of my friends say they're pretty cool. I've never used one since they barely did any damage compared to a normal saber.

So what was it?

Short lightsabers are for short people, like yoda.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

True, the short sabers did less damage than normal ones, but this was balanced by reducing the attack penalty of using an off-hand weapon. This may seem counterintuitive, but it actually makes sense. With the reduced penalty, you have a higher chance of scoring a hit with the off-hand short saber. Even though the hit does less damage, you hit more often, so it evens out in the end. In some cases, like with hard-to-hit opponents, it actually works in your favor, because a little damage a lot of the time ususally comes out ahead of a lot of damage a little of the time.

The scary thing is I never actually knew that until a few play thrus. This is another example of just how piss-poor the instructions manual was that was shipped with KOTOR I. <_<

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The scary thing is I never actually knew that until a few play thrus. This is another example of just how piss-poor the instructions manual was that was shipped with KOTOR I. <_<

Yeah, sometimes it really helps to read the item descriptions. :blink:"

Anyway, the +0/+2 bonus awarded by the short saber didn't make that big a difference. In the lower levels, it was better to stick with single saber, and in the higher levels, the penalty wasn't so bad.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Yeah, sometimes it really helps to read the item descriptions. :blink:"

Anyway, the +0/+2 bonus awarded by the short saber didn't make that big a difference. In the lower levels, it was better to stick with single saber, and in the higher levels, the penalty wasn't so bad.

The thing is, the manual is supposed to be "dumbed down" to explain everything in detail. All the item description says is what kind of bonuses and penalties it gives. It doesn't really explain, in simple terms, WHAT those bonuses and penalties actually do.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The thing is, the manual is supposed to be "dumbed down" to explain everything in detail.  All the item description says is what kind of bonuses and penalties it gives.  It doesn't really explain, in simple terms, WHAT those bonuses and penalties actually do.

Umm... now that you mention it. I believe since I knew the D20 system I had no problems understanding all the penalty/bonus system. But come to think of it, I don't think there was any explanation of the inner workings of the combat system. :rolleyes:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Umm... now that you mention it. I believe since I knew the D20 system I had no problems understanding all the penalty/bonus system. But come to think of it, I don't think there was any explanation of the inner workings of the combat system.  :thumbsup:

Exactly my point. I had never heard of, let alone played anything with this D20 system before KOTOR 1. Yet, judging from the manual, I was supposed to completely understand what all these "+2" and "off-hand penalties" and whatnot were supposed to mean.

Because the manual was so bare bones, I (someone who had never played a D20 system game before) had to learn by trial and error. IMO, that should not be the case. A manual should give you instructions about all the aspects of gameplay, rather than have the player guess his/her way through until they get a grasp of it. Compare the size of the instructions manual in NWN compared to KOTOR. It's almost laughable.

i had like a 4 dexterity and the geame was still easy

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I think the combat overall in KotOR was pretty easy. My character was pretty much hitting well even with two ordinary lightsabers. If you were a guardian, You could get really high Str. scores later on and that kinda ruled any penalties out.

Dex scores :)"

I thought strength scores increased chance to hit for melee weapons? For Ranged weapons dexterity increases chance to hit?

I think the combat overall in KotOR was pretty easy. My character was pretty much hitting well even with two ordinary lightsabers. If you were a guardian, You could get really high Str. scores later on and that kinda ruled any penalties out.

Dex scores :)"

I thought strength scores increased chance to hit for melee weapons? For Ranged weapons dexterity increases chance to hit?

Thats what I thought too. But apparantly, Bastila at least can use DEX for lightsaber to-hit.

Lightsabers are different than Melee and Ranged. Those two are set in stone that you use Str for melee, and Dex for ranged. Lightsabers use the higher modifier of the two. So people who go the super high str Guardian route will use that, whereas those with a Consular who just want some Dex for defense would use that as ther modifier.

Exactly my point.  I had never heard of, let alone played anything with this D20 system before KOTOR 1.  Yet, judging from the manual, I was supposed to completely understand what all these "+2" and "off-hand penalties" and whatnot were supposed to mean. 

Because the manual was so bare bones, I (someone who had never played a D20 system game before) had to learn by trial and error.  IMO, that should not be the case.  A manual should give you instructions about all the aspects of gameplay, rather than have the player guess his/her way through until they get a grasp of it.  Compare the size of the instructions manual in NWN compared to KOTOR.  It's almost laughable.

Yeah, no kidding. I played the game two or three times before I figured out what all the numbers were for. When I built my lightsabers, I would just use the crystals that gave the lightsaber the highest numbers (I didn't know what they really were telling me, but I figured the higher the number, the better!!)

As a matter of fact, I still don't know what all the numbers mean......

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

I'm sorry but I don't know what you guys were talking about. I'd never heard of or played a D20 game before KOTOR and I found everything I needed in the manual. It totally says what all the numbers are and what they do.

As I recall, it didn't. For example, show me a direct page reference that explains exactly what the "6-19" for Cassus Fett's pistol means. It doesn't tell you what the two numbers are. Now granted, I'm sure YOU know what it means, and after a few play throughs I figured it out. But there's no actual instruction in there for someone who has never played a D20 system game before about what the "6" portion means and what the "19" portion means.