What if force powers were alignment-bound?

this is a purely theoretical topic since its way too late for it to be implemeted in the game.

I just had the idea if i would have designed a SW RPG I would have made the aquisition of force powers bound to the alignment progression of the character, the power of these forces would be controlled by the level.

So one could not develop heal until one was farside LS, and you cant develop drain life unless you go far down the darkside. If you were a level 10 Sith you could blow of some lightning, if you were level 20 you could let it rip like the emperor. As it is now, the simple FP penalty of using the other sides powers is just illogical if one would take the films as standards.

If one would have this system, along with an actually meaningful way to play DS(that wasnt all about bullying people and taking their money), I think it would make for a much more interesting role-playing experience.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Interesting idea but I kind of like the old system which allows you access to DS/LS powers and you choose if you want to use them.

I believe if you go up in level, you gain more knowledge of the Force and which powers you choose is reflective of how you want to use the Force, and not alignment.

If the game went by alignment then there would be very clear definitions of light and dark, and those who choose to go the neutral path would suffer.

I agree with Kaftan Barlast on this topic.

It seems logical to me that the more DS power you use the more the DS dominates you. So basically you wouldn't have any other penalties on force usage, whereas as you gain exp the cost of using force power is reducing. So perhaps the 2-3 of your most favourites would become far less coslty than they are at the beggining.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

If the game went by alignment then there would be very clear definitions of light and dark, and those who choose to go the neutral path would suffer.

One "flaw" would of course be that no neutral path could exist. There could be different levels of light and dark but no truly neutral option.

I feel that the way things were meant in Star Wars, is that there exist a clear definition between light and dark where each side has its own benefits but that you must choose, and that choice will determine your continued existence. The further you go down one path the more powerful you'll be but you can never walk two paths at once.

And in the films we havent seen, nor will we ever see, a lightside Jedi using darkside powers and vice versa.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think that in some cases the neutral path is best really, if you actually do the forces will without being bound to good or bad conciepts.

This seems to be a big part of the first game that the devs wanted you to explore that option, or otherwise they wouldn't have put Jolee in the game

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The ridiculous thing about Jolee is that he is very clearly LS

and you never know about his past, he might have eaten a baby or something back when he was young

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The ridiculous thing about Jolee is that he is very clearly LS

Ridiculous? Nah... Disappointing in a way but not ridiculous. It's kind of what defines the character: in many ways he has the beliefs and spirit of a Jedi Master, but he denies it and pretends he's no more light than dark. He's pretty much conned himself into believing it, too. Only realises moments before being skewered by Revan's lightsaber... :ph34r: :lol:

One "flaw" would of course be that no neutral path could exist. There could be different levels of light and dark but no truly neutral option.

I feel that the way things were meant in Star Wars, is that there exist a clear definition between light and dark where each side has its own benefits but that you must choose, and that choice will determine your continued existence. The further you go down one path the more powerful you'll be but you can never walk two paths at once.

And in the films we havent seen, nor will we ever see, a lightside Jedi using darkside powers and vice versa.

I've always liked the unified force theory, I like to think the Dark Side refers to the darkness in ones own heart. Even the best good-guys, the ones with the purest souls have some evil thoughts, even though they might not act on them, Conversely even the most despotic villain will have some semblance of conscience, some feeling left inside of him though he will probably hide it deep inside an refuse to aknowledge it even exists.

In short I believe that force powers are not in and of themselves light or darkside, even if the game mechanics say otherwise. Consider for example a "lightside" Jedi using force lightning to short-circuit a primitive security system of a building so he can enter it unnoticed, or the villain using the force heal someone only to torture that person to the brink of death again.

I kinda like your idea, I kinda not.

It's similar to the system that a few of the Star Wars MUDS on the net have implimented. Jedi can only use all ls powers and basic darkside powers at the risk of being corrupted. Sith can use all ds powers and some ls powers at the risk of being attacked by a giant kitten.

Fnord.

Don't ever underestimate the giant kitten

In SW there is no middle road, there is no neutral way to use the force so you can either try to restrain yourself like a good Jedi or give in and embrace power of the darkside. And it doesnt matter with what intent you use your example force lightning, its a darkside power that feeds of your negative emotions and the more you use it the further down the spiral you go. This would happen even with the idea that the force itself is "neutral" and the light/dark aspect is in the wielder.

My systems main point is to merge the stale level-up system with roleplaying. Ideally, how you act defines your character in every way and the progression would be completely automated.

You act darkside, you become darkside, if you talk your way out of danger, your..uhm.. social skills increase.

Now, I understand that many people like being able to choose whichever force power they want and enjoy purchasing together statistics but I dont.

I dont mind the system in KotOR, it makes sense, but I think a Jedi using a DS power should have more consequences that it just take more force points away. For instance if a really good light jedi uses force choke and kills someone it should probably add a dark side point or something...cause it would actually briong your charcter closer to the dark side.

"Some people are always trying to iceskate uphill."

Blade(Wesley Snipes) from the movie Blade.

Edited for content

"The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization." - Sigmund Freud

About 6 years ago I read about the Shadow jedi, a group of jedi who were working for the empire or somesuch that didn't belong to the extremes or could go back and fourth at their leisure. I thought this very cool.

Looks like Lucas decided on extremes, though. Pity.

Fnord.

pity?

In SW there is no middle road, there is no neutral way to use the force so you can either try to restrain yourself like a good Jedi or give in and embrace power of the darkside. And it doesnt matter with what intent you use your example force lightning, its a darkside power that feeds of your negative emotions and the more you use it the further down the spiral you go. This would happen even with the idea that the force itself is "neutral" and the light/dark aspect is in the wielder.

My systems main point is to merge the stale level-up system with roleplaying. Ideally, how you act defines your character in every way and the progression would be completely automated.

You act darkside, you become darkside, if you talk your way out of danger, your..uhm.. social skills increase.

Now, I understand that many people like being able to choose whichever force power they want and enjoy purchasing together statistics but I dont.

I think I read in another thread that during return on the jedi that luke used force choke on a gamorian at Jabba's palace (I haven't had the chance to re-watch the movie yet to see for myself). So even in the movies Lucas showed that one could walk both paths as long as one knew what they were getting them selves into.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

I dont consider force choke a dark side power.

I dont consider force choke a dark side power.

umm why not??? its an offesnsive power and it inflicts harm on another person, by definition that kinda makes it a DS power

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png