Revan in KotOR2

Do you think Revan should play a big part in KotOR2?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Revan should play a big part in KotOR2?

• YES
    • NO

Here's a thought:

Since the PC is in possesion of the Ebon Hawk, wouldn't that imply that he's probably had some kind of contact with Revan between KOTOR 1 & 2? I'm just thinking that he may have a closer tie to Revan than just being one of the Jedi that followed him into the Mandalorian Wars.

Any ideas?

why would Obsidian spend so much time implementing a system where various questions are asked about how the previous game played through unless they intended to have Revan play a significant role?  It doesn't make sense to allow the player to describe the events of the first game if Revan won't even have a major part in it.

The actions of Revan are probably much more important than Revan himself/herself.

You would still need to take into consideration the events of the first game. Whether or not the actual character of Revan is involved, is not really required.

From an article posted on the starwars.com forum, it was stated that the way you answer the questions will have a BIG impact on the way the story plays out, inferring that the story will differ quite a bit depending on how the FOUR endings worked out (DS male, DS female, LS male, LS female).

The questions don't have to indicate whether or not Revan is a large part of the game though....more provides a state of the universe as a result of Revan's actions.

And I would bet the focus would be purely on Lightside vs Darkside, since Revan's actions were the same between the two sexes.

How would he appear in the lightside version? He wouldn't wear a mask, and it would be impossible to select one face for him.

I'm not saying that it will happen, it's actually very unlikely, since it would require some specific work/interface to get it done, but something like this would be possible:

At the beginning of the game you are contacted by an official of the republic. The identity of the Sith Lords is unknown, but logically Revan is suspected. Problem is, there is nothing much but rumours about his/her appearance. Since you fought alongside Revan, the official wants you to identify him/her. He gives you a few photos of individuals who might be Revan. Those are the heads you could pick for your character at the beginning of KOTOR I. Declare that one of them is Revan, done.

EDIT: thinking about it, it is starwars, so we'll go with holograms instead of photos. Spawning a few floating heads and allowing you to click on one of them to "identify" Revan should not be overly complicated.

Mabe there would be an option sort of thing where TSL reads your old KOTOR save data and makes the appropriate changes according to that, of course it wouldnt apply to everyone but it may be an option, just a thought ;)

Apparently Obsidian has decided to stay away from that solution. I think that is a good thing: imagine you do not have a save game to feed KOTOR II, then what? Should you be stuck with the default history? Should it be random? Obviously either would be highly frustrating for the player. Using the save game is fine for an expansion, since you expect it, not for a second opus, or in a very limited and inconsequential fashion (golden pantaloons in BGII).

The approach they seem to have taken is much better in my opinion, the difficulty being to integrate it into the storytelling and gameplay. A Q&A before launching the game would be rather lame, not that the developers ever considered that as a solution.

EDIT: if you suggest the use of the savegame as an alternate way to import the information, while using the in-story trick as the default mechanism, the problem would be that if you have integrated the second option in the story in a natural manner it becomes difficult to skip it if a save game is used. You could transform it into an ingame cinematic I suppose... urk.

Mabe there would be an option sort of thing where TSL reads your old KOTOR save data and makes the appropriate changes according to that, of course it wouldnt apply to everyone but it may be an option, just a thought ;)

Apparently Obsidian has decided to stay away from that solution. I think that is a good thing: imagine you do not have a save game to feed KOTOR II, then what? Should you be stuck with the default history? Should it be random? Obviously either would be highly frustrating for the player. Using the save game is fine for an expansion, since you expect it, not for a second opus, or in a very limited and inconsequential fashion (golden pantaloons in BGII).

The approach they seem to have taken is much better in my opinion, the difficulty being to integrate it into the storytelling and gameplay. A Q&A before launching the game would be rather lame, not that the developers ever considered that as a solution.

Yeah but what i meant was some sort of memory reading thing for the people who do have a kotor save on their machine, and the questions thing we know is going to be in for the new players, but that would probablly take ages to integrate and stuff like that ;) nevermind it was just a thought anyway :lol:

Yeah but what i meant was some sort of memory reading thing for the people who do have a kotor save on their machine, and the questions thing we know is going to be in for the new players, but that would probablly take ages to integrate and stuff like that ;) nevermind it was just a thought anyway :lol:

the question I have is what about people who have multiple save files how would the game pick the right one? I have 9 different saved games at the moment and if I had to look at the save files I couldn't tell which was which, so I have to agree with the idea of having the PC answer the questions during the gameplay.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

You know, I had the weirdest thought yesterday...

bastila.JPG + fate.jpg = kreia.JPG

Could be!

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I can't see Bastila being Kreia. Kreia's an old coot (kinda like Hades ;) ), whereas Bastila was supposed to be early 20's in KOTOR1. I doubt a 20-something women in prime physical condition would age in 5 years to look like Kreia, especially if you play through a LS ending (meaning the DS effects on "aging" wouldn't happen).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Problem is that would qualify as quite a BIG plot twist, and from most interviews, Obsidian has said there isn't going to be a major plot twist like there was in KOTOR.

It would also cause problems with the game because assuming your theory is correct, then Kreia would have BOTH Revan and Bastila's abilities and thus be one of, if not THE, most powerful Jedi in the game. And considering we meet up with her early in the game, it'd seem rather weird to have a level 1 PC hanging out with a level 30 (or whatever they have the max set at) Jedi.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)