Who is Darth Sion?

Darth Galdolf:

" Malak/Melech/Molech/Malek - Hebrew for King"

So close and yet so far.

The name "Molech," later corrupted into "Moloch," is an intentional mispointing of "Melek," after the analogy of "bosheth" (comp. Hoffmann in Stade's "Zeitschrift," iii. 124). As to the rites which the worshipers of Molech performed, it has sometimes been inferred, from the phrase "pass through the fire to Molech," that children were made to pass between two lines of fire as a kind of consecration or februation; but it is clear from Isa. lvii. 5 and Jer. xix. 5 that the children were killed and burned. The whole point of the offering consisted, therefore, in the fact that it was a human sacrifice. From Jer. vii. 31 and Ezek. xx. 25, 26, it is evident that both prophets regarded these human sacrifices as extraordinary offerings to Yhwh. Jeremiah declares that Yhwh had not commanded them, while Ezekiel says Yhwh polluted the Israelites in their offerings by permitting them to sacrifice their first-born, so that through chastisement they might know that Yhwh was Yhwh. The fact, therefore, now generally accepted by critical scholars, is that in the last days of the kingdom human sacrifices were offered to Yhwh as King or Counselor of the nation and that the Prophets disapproved of it and denounced it because it was introduced from outside as an imitation of a heathen cult and because of its barbarity. In course of time the pointing of "Melek" was changed to "Molech" to still further stigmatize the rites.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

And here is your answer for Revan:

Act 7:43

Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon.

Moloch or Siccuth was one, and Chiun another image, or rather the same; and this the same with Chevan, which in the Arabic and Persic languages is the name of Saturn, as Aben Ezra and Kimchi say; and is so rendered by Montanus here; and who in the Egyptian tongue was called Revan, or Rephan, or Remphan; as by the Septuagint here...

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

well in Turkish, the word 'Malak' means: A Water Buffalo Calf

enough said, this alone is an obstacle before total immersion in the game. The name 'Sion' has totally irrelevant connotations as well.

Please name the characters after vaguely suggestive, 'slightly altered' English adjectives. GL knows how to do this right.

you just made malak weak......

oh well, i didnt like him anyway

lmao!

Scion seems better to me then Sion for some reason. But meh... Darth Sidious was a good name imo. lol.

Interesting bit about Zion tho.

I agree. But isn't Scion the name of a car company? :)

I think Darth Bane may have been the first.  He was the guy who enacted the rule of only two Sith, a master and an apprentice, at all time.

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2000/07/news20000721.html

As far as my SW knowledge goes Revan was the first to use it.

Correct. Except that's not canon. Not even EU canon. BioWare made Revan up. According to LucasArts, the first official one seems to be Darth Bane.

Correct. Except that's not canon. Not even EU canon. BioWare made Revan up. According to LucasArts, the first official one seems to be Darth Bane.

It's interesting that of all the Kotor characters, only Revan and Malak didn't make it yet to the SW databank on the official site. My bet is that they'll be added after more is revealed about them; *then* their stories will become part of canon, I guess.

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

True as well. But since they aren't canonized, Darth signification didn't exist until Darth Bane at any rate.

Personally, I think BioWare made a mistake in KOTOR by naming them with "Darth". None of the Sith Lords in EU in that time period referred to themselves in that way.

Actually vader is dutch for father.

Hah, cool. Interesting. And I didnt realize all that stuff that guy said about the names Malak and Revan...how they were related to Hebrew. :)

The cryptic writing on Darth Vader's chestpiece is also Hebrew........

Really?? What did it say?

I think it might be kind of hard to canonize Revan. He/she really doesn't have an official look or even a gender for that matter. And also, he/she is completely open to interpretation. To some, Revan is the consummate ideal of evil. To others, Revan would be the embodiement of redemption because you could play his/her character either way.

So to canonize Malak would be to canonize Revan. Which would be kind of tough. How would they do that? Hold a vote for the fans as to what gender and alignment Revan was? As well as what he/she looked like?

Yes, but on the other hand, Malak has been sort of canonized because the official entry on Dantooine now mentions his having razed the planet.

Still it's weird to have Carth and not Revan on the Databank! :D

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

If you read the file on Bastilla, it mentions Darth Revan and Darth Malak.

My guess is that the only reason they don't have files on Revan and Malak is because of what Jebus said. Though I think they could at least add a file for Malak, and simply leave the ending off like they did with Bastilla. Revan would be hard, because it would seem a bit unatural for them to never refer to Revan with a pronoun.

Anyways, Revan is part of the cannon, even if there are few official details about him/her. So Revan is apparently the first to use the title Darth. Which is no problem, in my opinion, after all, someone has to be first. So why not Revan.

Really?? What did it say?

here's what I found:

The First Line -

(Phonetically pronounced - Ein Maasav)

Means -

His deeds (and not works) will not

The Second Line - this is a difficult one:

To begin with it is placed up-side down! I think it is partially covered (i.e. the letters are partially cut), I think it is misspelled as well (That is if I guessed it right in the first place!) Anyhow, IMHO, this line means -

Be forgiven

(Phonetically pronounced - Nisslachim)

And The Third Line

(Phonetically pronounced - Aad shezacha) Means -

Until he merits (and not won)

Put together, the sentence reads -

" His deeds will not be forgiven, until he merits"

the full article:

http://www.theforce.net/rouser/essays/chestplate.shtml

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

If you read the file on Bastilla, it mentions Darth Revan and Darth Malak.

My guess is that the only reason they don't have files on Revan and Malak is because of what Jebus said. Though I think they could at least add a file for Malak, and simply leave the ending off like they did with Bastilla. Revan would be hard, because it would seem a bit unatural for them to never refer to Revan with a pronoun.

Anyways, Revan is part of the cannon, even if there are few official details about him/her. So Revan is apparently the first to use the title Darth. Which is no problem, in my opinion, after all, someone has to be first. So why not Revan.

I refuse to beleive that anything new added in a computer game to the Star Wars universe should be considered canon. That includes anything added in KOTOR. I suspect this may be why only some characters from KOTOR are listed in the Star Wars database but really the Star Wars games should be a universe of their own. In fact, each game series should be unless explicitly said otherwise.

Something as important as the first use of Darth in the titles of Sith Lords definately shouldn't be added in a computer game especially when there is no reason given to why it is used if it is its first use. If Darth Bane was first then at least it would make sense because he was the last surviving Sith Lord and he instigated the rule of only two Sith at any one time.

O_O! Where the heck is that from!?

Fits the description we got before about confronting Darth Sion on a ship, through...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D