Does continuity in K2 really matter to you?

Is continuity important?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Is continuity important?

• Yes
    • No

This question came to mind after one of those pointless arguments about which KoTOR NPCs should and shouldnt get a cameo, becasue they could be killed etc.

In my opinion, continuity is unimportant and even impossible to accomplish in a convincing way if there's more than one way to finish a game.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

To me, continuity is important because this event takes place 5 years after the Star Forge. Your character is then placed in the aftermath of what happened at the Star Forge, which you will get to decide how that played out. If the game plot took place 10 years or even later after the Star Forge then I say bring on a new host of characters and story arcs. But since the plot for TSL ties in with Kotor 1 then to me continuity is a must.

What I was referring to was more "do you mind if the devs take certain freedoms with continuity?" like in above example. If one was to take all the possibilities into account, none of the key chars would be allowed in K2.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What I was referring to was more "do you mind if the devs take certain freedoms with continuity?" like in above example. If one was to take all the possibilities into account, none of the key chars would be allowed in K2.

only T3 and Canderus would be left in the game because you had to get both of them and you couldn't kill them.

also to continuity I say no mainly because they will more than likely ask if you finished it LS or DS and they will more than likely just take the extreme verions of the play throughs to guide which characters show up( i.e. if you LS then everyone shows up and if you went DS then only HK T# and Candy-many show up)

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

I think continuity is important and does matter to me. Even though you were able to kill off a lot of the characters I think the devs should take some more freedom in how DS and LS should go. For example, when you go LS you can kill Bastila on the SF, or Dustil on Korriban but I think those should be ignored sort of. But I am sure a lot of people would have a problem with that, but we shall have to wait and see how things will turn out in the questions that will be asked at the beggining of the game.

I hope that there is a pretty healthy amount of references to what happened in KOTOR 1 in the new game. I really could care less about what happen to characters like mission and Juhani, but there are definitely some things I would like to know about Bastila and even Carth depending on LS or DS choices.

I realize that some things are just going to be open ended because they can't specifically ask you every action you performed, but who knows how far they get into it.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I think continuity is important and does matter to me. Even though you were able to kill off a lot of the characters I think the devs should take some more freedom in how DS and LS should go. For example, when you go LS you can kill Bastila on the SF, or Dustil on Korriban but I think those should be ignored sort of. But I am sure a lot of people would have a problem with that, but we shall have to wait and see how things will turn out in the questions that will be asked at the beggining of the game.

Agreed.

To me, continuity is important because this event takes place 5 years after the Star Forge. Your character is then placed in the aftermath of what happened at the Star Forge, which you will get to decide how that played out.  If the game plot took place 10 years or even later after the Star Forge then I say bring on a new host of characters and story arcs. But since the plot for TSL ties in with Kotor 1 then to me continuity is a must.

exactly, you can't say this game takes place five years after the previous game and make no mention of how events turned out or what happened to certain characters since the two plots intertwine...that would almost be like lucasarts lying about a release date :p

Yes it's important to me.

Not in the sense where KOTOR2 serves as a "wrap up" for the events and characters of KOTOR1, but more in the sense that anything established in KOTOR1 should be acknowledged and unchanged.

For instance, in KOTOR1 with the LS ending the Star Forge is destroyed. So in KOTOR2, if you tell the game it was a LS ending, I want the continuity kept where we don't see the Star Forge still up and running for no apparent reason.

I don't think it's that difficult to keep continuity and at the same time tell a story about different characters and different events, but in the same Star Wars universe.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

well, i would rather play a well written, immersive game than i would an unplanned sequel constrained by its prequel... like the matrix IMO. this is not a foriegn concept. look at nintendo's zelda series for example. five minutes into the game you forget that you ever had concerns.

for me an entirely new, unrelated plot would have been more than acceptable. think of the freedom it would allow in development... freedom to surprise me with new themes. the star wars universe is big enough to handle it.

By its very nature, a sequel indicates that some degree of continuity exists. In a game set so close to the time period of the original, it becomes even more important, which is why I would have preferred more distance between the two games.

The events in K1 are recent history in K2 and should be acknowledged as such. To my mind, the game loses a lot of credibility if it fails to do so.

Continuity is incredibly important to me. Without continuity, it destroys the suspension of disbelief and the willingess one has to immserse oneself into the storyline.

Heh, I say this, despite being a rabid Highlander fanatic...ah well.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.