Xbox vs. PC

For someone who owns both platforms, which should be purchased?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. For someone who owns both platforms, which should be purchased?

• Xbox
    • PC

KotoR really felt like it was made for the Xbox. Not just in its presentation, but in the controls and the way that the menu is set up. If KotoR 2 is anything like it, the Xbox version is probably a safe bet - I know I'm counting on it...

I'm going to get it first on the Xbox because the game really isn't mod friendly on the PC and I like the controller more than I did a mouse and keyboard while playing KOTOR. If some really cool mods come out I will pick up the PC version later on.

Cheers!

Also keep in mind that any mods that add substantial replay value, being more than just minor cosmetic add-ons, won't come along for a few years - if past RPG's have been any example. If you're much of a stickler for quality, you won't care about the major mods anyway, more than likely - they tend to be bug ridden, unfinished, the sound is always crappy, and there are more than just a few minor grammatical errors throughout... that's just my experience, of course. Plus, while there is a greater likelyhood, after the NWN multiplayer revolution, that players will stick together in mod teams, it's still extraordinarily rare to get a finished product of those teams. The final (note: I didn't say finished) product might be fun, sure; if you can stand the overwhelming mass of admittedly small detail that, combined, totally degrades the experience.

Instead of saying "mods", it would probably be more apropos to say "user-made content." Of all the games I've played, only a few of the thousands of mods I've for NWN have come anywhere close to being as polished or interesting as the professionally-made single player experience itself. Some are more professionally done than others, but I'll I've seen come out so far were still very amateurish.

It ultimately depends on what you want - the tactile nature of the controller and playing on your TV without the nuisance of a computer desk and keyboard, or the content customizability of the PC version - including higher res. If you have a crappy computer like I do (I don't know why it's so crappy, honestly, but my X-box ran the game at high res better than my PC), that's another reason to consider going X-box. Having just barely the minimum specs isn't likely to get you the nice special effects inherent in the X-box version. Not to mention, as someone else said, the control scheme was really designed for an X-box. Perhaps it's just because I played the x-box version first, but the PC version interface always felt strangely awkward to me. They haven't said anything as far as changing that, but again: my bias is for the X-box system, having played that first.

As well, you might want to keep in mind that while the PC has patches and the X-box doesn't, the PC is by far more prone to have compatibility issues, such as a low-performance machine or just some setup that bugs out a lot with this game. I don't know about you, but I never had the trouble others did with the bugs in the first game, and all the bugs were avoidable with saving/reloading and just reading how other people solved the problems. PC issues, such as the horrible memory leaks of the first KotOR before the first patch, aren't usually avoidable like that.

Overall, if you're pretty much tied - I'd say base it on whether you prefer the rumbling but mostly uncustomizable interface of the X-box or the far more customizable interface of the PC, with no rumble and without the feel of a conveniently compact controller in your hand. If you haven't tried the X-box version of the first, see what it's like - rent the game or something. While a keyboard is customizable, it doesn't come anywhere near to simulating the feel and simplicity of an X-box controller.

I'm going to get it first on the Xbox because the game really isn't mod friendly on the PC and I like the controller more than I did a mouse and keyboard while playing KOTOR. If some really cool mods come out I will pick up the PC version later on.

Cheers!

Just because the a game isn't mod friendly doesn' t mean the hardcore fans/modders won't uphold the gauntlet anyways. I'd suggest checking out Svosh's mods, as well as the Hardcore mod if you're one of the many that found the original too easy. There's some right nice mods out for the original, with more on the horizon as soon as the community cracks the model format. PC pwns Billy Gates Box hands and feet down. ;)

For all your KotOR mod needs, be sure to check out Holowan Laboratories. B)

I despise the X Box almost as much as I despise Easter Eggs.

As much as you despise not being able to play a non-jedi?

There is at least one thing that Hades One does not despise: posting on these forums...2 199 posts!

Just because there will be mods doesn't mean the fan mods alone will be worth picking up the PC version for.

I can't say I completely disagree with you concerning the contents. Since we didn't get a toolset, modding was made harder and there are still many limits. However, modding in itself and helping others with their mods is fun and certainly more rewarding and challenging than just playing the game.

PC, the xbox isn't customizable like the PC version. Can you do AA on Xbox? And console controllers can't compare to Mouse+Keyboard.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Do AA? I don't get what you're asking.

And it depends upon the game as to whether or not a console controller or keyboard and mouse is better. I think the Playstation controller in particular is brilliant. It fits the hands quite well, and is very easy to use while providing tons of buttons. Playing games like Madden 2003, I can't ever imagine playing that game on the computer. I had Madden 2001 on the computer, and it was a nightmare with the keyboard and mouse.

You can never aim precisely on a controller like you could with a mouse, not such a problem with RPGs but with action games quite so. AA stands for Anti-Aliasing.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

I agree that with most FPS, I would prefer a mouse, however, HALO plays better on the X-Box.

As for precision, the analog controls on the PS2 and X-Box are pretty precise. Try playing Tiger Woods, and see how the slightest movement changes your swing. The analog joysticks work beautifully for a golf swing.

I think the PC works great for games like X-Wing Alliance. You couldn't play that game on a console because there are too many controls. Yet, I still use a flight stick for the game. The mouse doesn't work well enough.

I agree that with most FPS, I would prefer a mouse, however, HALO plays better on the X-Box.

As for precision, the analog controls on the PS2 and X-Box are pretty precise. Try playing Tiger Woods, and see how the slightest movement changes your swing. The analog joysticks work beautifully for a golf swing.

I think the PC works great for games like X-Wing Alliance. You couldn't play that game on a console because there are too many controls. Yet, I still use a flight stick for the game. The mouse doesn't work well enough.

Thats the problem the xbox controller is just as sensitive as the mouse without the control that a mouse provides.

I say PC, any fool who bought KOTOR for the xbox should be shot!

Just to be annoying Halo only runns better on the Xbox if your computer is a paper weight! Oh by the way i do own an Xbox i also have a PS2 and a Gamecube so dont think that i've said this just because i disslike the Xbox...

The xbox is trash. You're on the internet, that means you have a PC. Assuming you aren't using some old terminal or say an apple IIe, your computer is more powerful than an xbox and your monitor is better than any tv. Think about it...

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

Get the PC version. It destroys the Xbox version in everyway. And even if you can't stand the WASD control on the keyboard, go out and buy an Xbox controller to USB adapter for your PC so you can play the PC version with an Xbox controller. Then again, I don't know why you would want to play the PC version with a controller.