The It's Disappointing Thread II - The Sequel

My question is, is there really a noticeable backlash from this decision?

I mean, yes a lot of PC gamers on this forum are upset at the decision, but we're a drop in a bucket compared to the number of actual gamers worldwide. I'm wondering if LucasArts will even notice that anyone is upset with their less-than-stellar marketing ploy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Come on Ghost, join us on the lucas page!

you mean the forum that doesn't get moderated and no LucasArts employees ever bother to check?

Chances are anything you say, do, or post will be missed since it appears LA just put those forums there for fanboys to post multiple "Who Loves Bastila" or "Who Loves Carth" threads.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Come on Ghost, join us on the lucas page!

you mean the forum that doesn't get moderated and no LucasArts employees ever bother to check?

Chances are anything you say, do, or post will be missed since it appears LA just put those forums there for fanboys to post multiple "Who Loves Bastila" or "Who Loves Carth" threads.

Well. i plan to make so many new topics they can't do anything there.

even though the pc version is released later obsidian will probably give you guys more stuff than in the xbox version, when the pc version shipped for kotor it came with the downloadable content and the xbox users had to wait a couple of months, or you can do what i did and get an xbox purely for tsl (i dont regret getting an xbox for kotor), you might as well get one right now anyways for halo 2 which i don't think is shipping to the pc at the same time...

Of course it isn't, it's going to take us an entire YEAR to get it just like with the first one. Even though it was originally a PC title before M$ bought Bungie out. <_<

Though there is a certain appeal to hooking up a mouse and keyboard, and slaughtering everyone on Halo 2 multiplayer. :D

I've heard Halo might be on X-box 2...

There's lots of rumors about the Billy Gates Box Next. Halo 2 comes out in November...but I've heard all sorts of sctuff about the Billy Gates Box Next not being backwards compatible after all (CRAP!) and that they'd be selling newer ports of all their old titles at full price (DOUBLE CRAP!). It sounds to be the stupidest thing that Mr. Gates could do. But I doubt it's true. I think that Billy Gates Box Next is going to have variable size HDDs, since they're sold separately a la PS2, it's going to support modding, and it's going to be even more PC like than it's predecessor. I mean, that seems to be Billy's goal, stomp out all other competition, even PC, which has been a gaming platform since before any real consoles. ;)

not being backwards compatible is not a smart move, seeing as how after my ps1 crapped out the ps2 was the only other option for ps1 games, and new ports of old titles for full price? what kinda crap is that? it's amazing the stupid things people do who have a bucket load of money...but back to the release date of tsl, kotor was primarily and xbox oriented game that was ported to the pc, so it only makes sense that more emphasis would be put on the xbox version than on the pc one, and seeing as how it turned out to be a Game of the Year on every list and sold well you could only assume that it would turn out on the xbox first; for LA to make a definitive statement that it would be shipped at the same time so early means that they probably weren't keeping up with what was going on in the development cycle, and obsidian couldn't tell anyone cuz LA wouldn't let em, so this is all LA's fault :lol:; for all you pc users i say wait till the xbox release date and if it gets all the praise and reviews as the first one it's time for an xbox, and there's no reason why it shouldn't, the only thing really different about the game is the plot, everything else has been beefed up with the majority of the stuff that made the first game good is still intact, the only reason we should spam LA or hold pre-orders is if TSL and KotOR turn out to be better than both prequel movies...

^ Kind of what I'm thinking.

The game was released on the PC, what, 6 months after the XBox? At least it's only two months this time.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

but back to the release date of tsl, kotor was primarily and xbox oriented game that was ported to the pc, so it only makes sense that more emphasis would be put on the xbox version than on the pc one, and seeing as how it turned out to be a Game of the Year on every list and sold well you could only assume that it would turn out on the xbox first; for LA to make a definitive statement that it would be shipped at the same time so early means that they probably weren't keeping up with what was going on in the development cycle, and obsidian couldn't tell anyone cuz LA wouldn't let em, so this is all LA's fault ; for all you pc users i say wait till the xbox release date and if it gets all the praise and reviews as the first one it's time for an xbox, and there's no reason why it shouldn't, the only thing really different about the game is the plot, everything else has been beefed up with the majority of the stuff that made the first game good is still intact, the only reason we should spam LA or hold pre-orders is if TSL and KotOR turn out to be better than both prequel movies...

The reasons you should be upset (as upset as a video game should make you):

1. As of Aug LA was telling the press that BOTH the pc and xbox version would be available for the holidays. That is, up until this latest release. (non-international). There hasn't been a "good" reason for this to change. Worse yet, it would seem that if LA wanted Obsidian to, that the PC version would be out for the holidays (certainly not sometime in Feb). The PC game, from my understanding, is just about as far as the X-box one. Unlike Halo, they are being brought along at the sametime. We were told that they would be released together. That is, up until this latest release.

Anyone else wondering if we'll get a more 'official' response come Monday, rather than Akari's 'unofficial' one?

People around here seem pretty miffed, to say the least; I hope Obsidian has someone good at PR. :)

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Anyone else wondering if we'll get a more 'official' response come Monday, rather than Akari's 'unofficial' one?

People around here seem pretty miffed, to say the least; I hope Obsidian has someone good at PR. :)

I don't think we will, simply because I don't think LucasArts realizes the mistake they've made and/or are too stuck in their "we do what we want and the customers can either like it or buzz off" attitude.

I don't think we will, simply because I don't think LucasArts realizes the mistake they've made and/or are too stuck in their "we do what we want and the customers can either like it or buzz off" attitude.

Like founder, like company....

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Please read what Adria has requested regarding politeness.

What's so...distressing...to me is the fact that we're overlooking the obvious. There's going to be a ton of combinations in which to play TSL, some of which certainly won't be mentioned. We can hear one this and then play through on Febuary sixth and go, "Hey, that's different. X lied to me! X told me that Carth doesn't show up!"

Maybe we'll get the option to play a shadow jedi. Mmm. Tastes like mom's home cookin'.

Anyways, I think I've gotten over this. Game companys have lied before, but it's never the fault of the Developer. They're not the ones who set times except for milestones.

I suggest that we should leave this to spam on LA's board, and not here. I don't think Obsidian deserves this anymore.

Fnord.

Sure, watch out for s thread called spam, appearing on lucasarts.com on a computer near you. LOL

Aww, crap if it's on a PC then it'll probably be kept back for a couple of months, while the xbox version gets brought forward! lol. :)

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

What's so...distressing...to me is the fact that we're overlooking the obvious. There's going to be a ton of combinations in which to play TSL, some of which certainly won't be mentioned. We can hear one this and then play through on Febuary sixth and go, "Hey, that's different. X lied to me! X told me that Carth doesn't show up!"

Maybe we'll get the option to play a shadow jedi. Mmm. Tastes like mom's home cookin'.

Anyways, I think I've gotten over this. Game companys have lied before, but it's never the fault of the Developer. They're not the ones who set times except for milestones.

I suggest that we should leave this to spam on LA's board, and not here. I don't think Obsidian deserves this anymore.

I don't really think this is spam.

Most people are trying to remain somewhat civil. My comments might have been out of line, but that happens when a company doesn't give any reasons for why it did what it did.

But overall, I think this thread is fine as long as it remains civil.

I don't really think this is spam.

Most people are trying to remain somewhat civil. My comments might have been out of line, but that happens when a company doesn't give any reasons for why it did what it did.

But overall, I think this thread is fine as long as it remains civil.

Adria has had to edit this thread a number of times. What I said in the first sentence was directed to a post that didn't truly belong here. It was rude and offensive to any poor LA people wandering the Obsidian board.

We will have to live with it. We did the first time around, and we can the second time. Sure, it's a pity, but life is a smattering of disappointments and you're only a reflection of how well you can adapt to them.

(I must admit however, I'm amused to petition has shown up on that site. . .is it petitions online? Hmm.)

Fnord.

Adria has had to edit this thread a number of times. What I said in the first sentence was directed to a post that didn't truly belong here. It was rude and offensive to any poor LA people wandering the Obsidian board.

The problem with using the reasoning of closing threads because a few posts are uncalled for or way off topic is that you run the risk of NEVER keeping a thread open.

No matter what the thread is about, I GUARANTEE that eventually you'll have a bunch of "kids" coming on trying to be funny by posting something stupid.

I don't think the stupid posts are exclusive of this thread. I think stupid posts are indicative of all message boards.

I couldn't even tell you what's been deleted, as it's been rather something of a deletion frenzy concerning this thread, trying to keep it on track. Overall, the level of civility has been quite good. It was a thread to vent, and not many have abused it.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

Adria: "Yes, LA's release date has all along been "Winter 2004" with an overall deadline of February (so I was told at E3).

However, rumours have been flying thick and fast over the internet for the last few weeks about a possible December release."

^(Sigh...) I wish they were true. <_<

But then again, we have a major dependence on these

tantalizing bits of information whether they're based

on hard facts or wild fantasies.

Rumours are what keep this forum alive. B)

Yes, LA's release date has all along been "Winter 2004" with an overall deadline of February (so I was told at E3).

However, rumours have been flying thick and fast over the internet for the last few weeks about a possible December release.

just rumors nothing more. so its basicly there own fault that the are mad b/c someone had to start that rumor that it was comeing out in Dec. so really its not LA's fault at all its their own.