The It's Disappointing Thread II - The Sequel

I'm sorry I tried to read a lot of the posts but don't have time for all of them, so here's my 2 cents....

KotOR 2 is just a game and I really am not upset about the release date per se, but in two concomitant trends: the console/whack-a-mole reorientation of gaming and the complete lack of responsive and responsible software companies.

For the first, the evidence is fairly obvious. When you look at *most* console games you see they are fairly simplistic and highly repetive. KotOR overcame this with immersion and was a great game regardless, but it is a fairly rare exception. The console-based design is evidenced by the simple rules, interface, few textures even in the pc version, and the overly repetitive nature of combat. KotOR was great enough that these design issues were largely immaterial, but most games aren't quite so exceptional. Look at Deus Ex 2 for instance. Even Halo, judging from the pc demo I played, (don't kill me please), doesn't quite compare with something like UT2004 in terms of possible depth. A game doesn't have to be deep to be fun, but removing the possibility places a great limitation on game design and to those of us with PC's who are outside of the rebellious teenager demographic, this is getting very very tiresome. We saw space-sims and adventure games die already, and it's looking like gaming depth may be next and companies can then expect a drop in sales as older players get bored.

The second trend is what has really angered me. There have been more and more games released unfinished. Even Doom 3 had barely functional multiplayer. Id is working on fixing things, but some companies just don't. There was a very long period of time with Raven's Jedi Academy being not particularly playable and there was no response or acknowledgement aside from a couple of non-dev mods on their boards banning everyone who didn't shiver in ectasy over the non-functional product. Some of you may have had problems with the original KotOR, and while it has been patched, some problems remain and Bioware refuses to acknowledge these issues and the same cadre of militant syncophants patrol their boards. (Thankfully I've not seen any of that here). Lucas Arts' cash-ins also contribute to this decline in quality, and the cancellation of Sam and Max 2 and that such a large outcry did nothing shows that software companies are becoming less and less responsive. As this carries over into the actual functionality of products I think we have a lot more to worry about than just the release dates but I don't see how there's much we can do. Realistically we'd have to boycott almost all the publishers and go off games for a while which isn't really tenable. Who are we kidding saying we'll boycott the game we've been waiting for? By the time it comes out, any of us who do try that'll probably cave, as the fact we're even bothering to post here shows. So,.... anyone have any good ideas on what to do?

M$. I can't see any reason for LA to have held it back if that press release Kumquat posted was true.

Yeah. Just what LA wants to do. Have their mediocre MMORPG expansion competing for the bountiful, but still limited holiday sales, not only with two or more other MMORPGs, and then add to it not only their own SP RPG, but the sequal to one of, if not the best SP RPG ever.

They know they can sell KotOR II. I highly doubt there will be enough bad press about the X-Box version to diminish it's PC sales. Galaxies is only mediocre. The 'Star Wars' label is a major selling point. Why shoot themselves in the foot with a better SW game in the same genre so quickly?

M$. I can't see any reason for LA to have held it back if that press release Kumquat posted was true.

Yeah. Just what LA wants to do. Have their mediocre MMORPG expansion competing for the bountiful, but still limited holiday sales, not only with two or more other MMORPGs, and then add to it not only their own SP RPG, but the sequal to one of, if not the best SP RPG ever.

They know they can sell KotOR II. I highly doubt there will be enough bad press about the X-Box version to diminish it's PC sales. Galaxies is only mediocre. The 'Star Wars' label is a major selling point. Why shoot themselves in the foot with a better SW game in the same genre so quickly?

Don't you hate it when people make incomplete quotes?

The real post:

So this thread is about Halo and Xbox hardware now?

No. No it's not.

Actually it's about x-box quite alot and Halo happened to be relavant. The fact is that Gates is looking to squeeze as much money as he can. Not backwards compatible? That's saying you'll have to buy remakes of the same games if you want them on your x-box 2. I used to be a windows fan...

Anyway, who do you think is more to blame? LA or Microsoft?

M$. I can't see any reason for LA to have held it back if that press release Kumquat posted was true. I guess it might have killed their Battlefront sales, but wouldn't it have been more efficient to push back Battlefront since they NEVER said that it'd be released simultaneously? Fact is, Gates has been buying up as many RPG and Sim devs as he can to try and have the Billy Gates Box compete with the PS2. FPS devs are easy to come by, they love cross platform releases.....but RPG devs....

LA.

And just so you know, further discussion of pirating, whether academic or not, will result in the thread being locked.

Don't have much control over that one.

Dammit, there goes my gold star. -_-

LA.

And just so you know, further discussion of pirating, whether academic or not, will result in the thread being locked.

Don't have much control over that one.

Ummm, where's the discussion about pirating? I've seen very little.

BTW, I haven't been sassing you in any meaning of the word...unless you're gates or lucas in disguise!!!

Twas me, I'm a naughty, naughty boy. ;)

Now, should they have wanted to, they could have released Battlefront and Galaxies later, after most of their fans had already played KotOR2. I mean, it's what all the Billy Gates Boxers are saying isn't it? "IT'S ONLY TWO MONTHS YOU BUNCH OF ***** WHINERS!!! IT'S JUST A VIDEO GAME!!! WAKKA WAKKA!!!"

Billy paid them off...simple as that. Did the same thing to Peter Molyneux, who hasn't really developed anything for PC since Black & White. :rolleyes:

If anyone really wants to get a boycott on Lucasarts games, I'm just crazy enough to do it. I've been looking forward to KotOR2 since it was announced, but if you guys really want to, I'm game. I predict I can last at least a year without wavering....if you guys really are so starved for entertainment that you need THIS GAME and THIS GAME ONLY, then I guess it shows what kind of character you're made of. I can't bear to think what would have happened if the civil rights protestors throughout the ages had that little willpower. :rolleyes:

I predict I can last at least a year without wavering....

But what if there's "Glupor Wonky" ? :rolleyes:

**** GLUUPOR!!! Even though no one else will be. I solemnly swear that from now until August 12, 2005, I will buy not one Lucasarts game. No KotOR2, no Battlefronts......nothing. I'm just a crazy enough psycho to do it. :ph34r:

I predict I can last at least a year without wavering....

But what if there's "Glupor Wonky" ? :rolleyes:

**** GLUUPOR!!! Even though no one else will be. I solemnly swear that from now until August 12, 2005, I will buy not one Lucasarts game. No KotOR2, no Battlefronts......nothing. I'm just a crazy enough psycho to do it. :ph34r:

Don't do it Gluupor!

manthing2.jpg

Servant of Eru, if I buy two PC copies, does that mean I will offset your boycott?

Mock me if you must. But I will not buy anything made by Lucasarts for a full year. Infact, I'll even extend that to Lucasfilm products. (Not that they make anything I want these days anyway. ) All of you whining PC gamers bitching about how Lucasarts has given you the shaft once again, PUT YOUR BOGDAMN MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!! If you limpwristed pansies don't even have the willpower not to buy the games of one company for one measly year of your lives, quite frankly, I'm ashamed. :rolleyes:

Servant of Eru, if I buy two PC copies, does that mean I will offset your boycott?

Mock me if you must. But I will not buy anything made by Lucasarts for a full year. Infact, I'll even extend that to Lucasfilm products. (Not that they make anything I want these days anyway. ) All of you whining PC gamers bitching about how Lucasarts has given you the shaft once again, PUT YOUR BOGDAMN MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!! If you limpwristed pansies don't even have the willpower not to buy the games of one company for one measly year of your lives, quite frankly, I'm ashamed. :rolleyes:

Do you mean "buy" or er.."play"? :ph34r:

manthing2.jpg

I'll tell you what right now I am kind of already sick of this game. I have been watching these boards since like may and the game seems like it is going to be a chore to finish. Like it will be something I have to do because I have followed the development instead of something I want to do because I enjoy Star Wars and was completely blown away by the first game.

So, by February, or maybe even earlier like December I might be so sick of this that I might wait until the summer time when the game is 19.99 instead of 50 bucks to buy it.

I understand the point you are trying to make. LucasArts sees us as a sure thing, and the only way to get them to listen is to make them question our status as a sure thing.

this will do very little because 90% of people out there dont view this as a conspiracy and a stab in the back.

Still...your money, your choice. More power to you..but dont expect many people to get all worked up like you are.

I just realized it is September, not August. So I will be waiting until SEPTEMBER 12 to buy any new games that come out in the intermittent year. I don't care if anyone else follows suit.....but you guys seem to think it can't be done; I'm going to prove it can. I also realize, that by the time the year is up, I will be working a full time job, and going to college, so I will have significantly less time for gaming. But we all must make sacrifices. ^_^

not to throw too much wood on this fire

but this is capitalism folks get used to it

unless you are willing to go the route of soe you arent going to give them back what they gave to you

but even if you do that keep one thing in mind

those who are in power will not suffer from this its the guy or gal working 90 hours a week while his or her kid is doing things he or she only gets to see in video email

boycotts never hurt those that deserve it they hurt those just like us

not to throw too much wood on this fire

but this is capitalism folks get used to it

unless you are willing to go the route of soe you arent going to give them back what they gave to you

but even if you do that keep one thing in mind

those who are in power will not suffer from this its the guy or gal working 90 hours a week while his or her kid is doing things he or she only gets to see in video email

boycotts never hurt those that deserve it they hurt those just like us

Actually, I have a workaround for this too. I figure the eight or so months I've spent on this forum talking to the devs, meeting all you people has been more entertainment then I've had in a long while. I intend to send money into Obsidian just for the hell of it, and to stick it to Lucasarts, because they won't be touching any money I send in. Yes, I'm crazy; No, you can't stop me. :D

well you have all the bases covered

carry on

Oh trust me, I'm by no means throwing out money I wasn't planning on spending anyway. Look at it from my point of view, before this disaster, I was planning on buying it at full (Or near full) price for $30 or so USD. Now that I'll be waiting a year or more, there's no reason I can't pick it up for $10 off the internet. So, I figure I send Obsidian $20 tomorrow (Watch for an envelope with Servant of Eru as it's return address), they'll probably be getting more money from me that way than they'd be getting from their cut with the publisher, and I still get my game for the same price I would have! :D

lmfao

hell soe i finally looked at your avatar

when i was thinking about my first post i was going to put in what are you commie pinkos

i would have felt foolish considering i didnt notice your avatar at the time

O Bog, I'm not Communist, I'm a Rational/Social Anarchist. But when I register to vote, just so everyone doesn't think I'm any crazier than they already do, I'll be registering Libertarian. :p That's just a caption of a shirt design from my favorite Webcomic, Sam and Fuzzy. You have to be familiar with Fuzzy to understand. ;)

It won't make a difference at all if you boycott it. And really it's only a few months longer to wait.

Frankly, I think they should have delayed the XBox version as well to be released in Feb as well, if not after. That way they could incorporate fixes and feedback from the PC version into the XBox version.

Well, I'm back, I couldn't sleep, and I might as well do some of my mindless homework anyway. In response to Iolo, I don't care if it doesn't make a difference, if anything, it will say that not ALL PC gamers can be pushed around. (Just most of them apparently. <_< ) I heard several people say that it was impossible not to buy Lucasarts games, well, I'm going to prove them wrong. Even if no one else joins me, it will be my own personal victory, and I'll know that at least I didn't sit idly by and let them pull this crap like the rest of you schmucks. I don't remember who said it, but it's a very democratic process. Someone pisses you off, you don't buy their stuff. I'll still be supporting Obsidian (Cuz they cool like that) even more than if I bought the game right when it came out. I'll probably have heard just as many spoilers as I would have by the end of the two months as at the end of the year. I'm a man of action, and action I will take, even if all I'm doing is not buying a company's videogame, while supporting the Developer that got screwed over just as much as us by this ****. :angry:

Well, I'm back, I couldn't sleep, and I might as well do some of my mindless homework anyway.  In response to Iolo, I don't care if it doesn't make a difference, if anything, it will say that not ALL PC gamers can be pushed around.  (Just most of them apparently.  <_< )  I heard several people say that it was impossible not to buy Lucasarts games, well, I'm going to prove them wrong.  Even if no one else joins me, it will be my own personal victory, and I'll know that at least I didn't sit idly by and let them pull this crap like the rest of you schmucks.  I don't remember who said it, but it's a very democratic process.  Someone pisses you off, you don't buy their stuff.  I'll still be supporting Obsidian (Cuz they cool like that) even more than if I bought the game right when it came out.  I'll probably have heard just as many spoilers as I would have by the end of the two months as at the end of the year.  I'm a man of action, and action I will take, even if all I'm doing is not buying a company's videogame, while supporting the Developer that got screwed over just as much as us by this ****.  :angry:

For some reason I have a feeling you will buy Kotor II, I mean what's the point in getting mad since it's being released later if you're not going to get it at all?