Jedi vs. Non-Jedi

Who agree's with Hades_One, and thinks there should be the option of playing a non force user in KotOR?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who agree's with Hades_One, and thinks there should be the option of playing a non force user in KotOR?

• YES!! DnD rules are the 11th commandment!!
    • Totally agree, we should be able to play a frog if we wish!
    • Agree
    • Dissagree
    • WHAT!! change it to Hades satisfaction!! He's never satisfied!
    • Jedi, Jedi, Jedi, all the way!
    • Other

Well I personally think its rather silly playing a game named Knights of the Old Republic, if you play a common non force user! And I myself wouldnt play as a non force user even if I had the choice, I believe that there are a hell of a lot of games out there that offer you this, as does real life, so I was just curious to what every one else thought :blink:

I know. :blink:

I just like to have the option to play a scoundrel or a scout, and have a non-Jedi prestige class available for the PC. Sure the game is meant for a force user, but I want to play my character and not the developers'. Also it would most definitely up the difficulty quite a bit and that is one thing that KotOR 1 had a problem with. It was just way to easy.

I know.  :blink:

I just like to have the option to play a scoundrel or a scout, and have a non-Jedi prestige class available for the PC.  Sure the game is meant for a force user, but I want to play my character and not the developers'.  Also it would most definitely up the difficulty quite a bit and that is one thing that KotOR 1 had a problem with.  It was just way to easy.

Yes it was, but how could you not play a force user in the first game when you were a former dark lord of the sith, so I dont understand, was it the story you would want different? because thats what you would have to change in the first game to be a non force user, whether its the same in TSL's remains to be seen

I agree with Hades in principle, but not necessarily in the context of the KOTOR story.

I believe that for this specific story, with Revan, the Sith, the Jedi, etc. as the main elements, I don't think it's very feasible for the PC to be allowed to be a non-Force user. Obviously, from a gameplay standpoint it can happen. But from a story standpoint, I can't see the feasibility of having the "star" be a non-Force user when he/she is up against powerful Sith Lords.

Having said that, I agree with Hades that it would be fun to use a non-Jedi PC if the story permitted. And to take that a step farther, I hope that in the future, with the success of the KOTOR series, I hope LucasArts branches out like the FF series, and does release a game or two where the story would be ideal for a non-Jedi as the protagonist.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Thing is I want a Star Wars SP CRPG that allows the player to choose his class and abilities and not have them dictated to him or her.

Such as if I wanted to play a Force user so be it, but at the same time I could beat the game with a non force user. Expand the CRPG and have all the classes in the d20 System Star Wars game in the mix and a few choice Prestige Classes. Make a BG/NWN style CRPG based on the Star Wars universe.

That would be so kickarse.

I agree with Hades in principle, but not necessarily in the context of the KOTOR story.

I believe that for this specific story, with Revan, the Sith, the Jedi, etc. as the main elements, I don't think it's very feasible for the PC to be allowed to be a non-Force user.  Obviously, from a gameplay standpoint it can happen.  But from a story standpoint, I can't see the feasibility of having the "star" be a non-Force user when he/she is up against powerful Sith Lords.

Having said that, I agree with Hades that it would be fun to use a non-Jedi PC if the story permitted.  And to take that a step farther, I hope that in the future, with the success of the KOTOR series, I hope LucasArts branches out like the FF series, and does release a game or two where the story would be ideal for a non-Jedi as the protagonist.

I agree 'a game' but I just cant see it being feasable in 'this game'

Thing is I want a Star Wars SP CRPG that allows the player to choose his class and abilities and not have them dictated to him or her.

Such as if I wanted to play a Force user so be it, but at the same time I could beat the game with a non force user.  Expand the CRPG and have all the classes in the d20 System Star Wars game in the mix and a few choice Prestige Classes.  Make a BG/NWN style CRPG based on the Star Wars universe.

I agreed with that. I'm just saying that, IMO, the current storyline that they're going for wouldn't be condusive to this sort of thing.

I hope they do adapt a story that would permit the feasibility of this type of character options, and as long as the franchise remains popular, I think that perhaps it might.

I think that for this to be the case, the story has to be more Empire Strikes Back-eque or A New Hope-esque, since most of the "battles" were waged against Stormtroopers/Snowtroopers, and a non-Jedi would do fine against those foes. But I think the problems arise when the main enemy is a Darth Vader or Emperor, and thus you'd need a character such as a Luke Skywalker to defeat them.

In other words, A New Hope would have been a story that could be played as a non-Jedi, but Return of the Jedi could not, since the final encounter aboard the Death Star required Force useage.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I know.  :p

I just like to have the option to play a scoundrel or a scout, and have a non-Jedi prestige class available for the PC.  Sure the game is meant for a force user, but I want to play my character and not the developers'.  Also it would most definitely up the difficulty quite a bit and that is one thing that KotOR 1 had a problem with.  It was just way to easy.

In Kotor1 one Jedi and two non-Jedi could easily defeat a group of Dark Jedi.

Not very plausible, but okay...

Did I get your point correctly, that in Kotor2 you'd like to have three non-Jedi who manage to crush Darth Sion and every other Sith Lord in the galaxy? :rolleyes:

What the hell came over you...? :p

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

I'd just lub to have an option to play non-Jedi. I think that option would add more replay value to the game. Something that KotOR lacked as a factor.

Even if the game's called Knights of the Old Republic, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to be one of those knights.

Heh, I guess I'm just getting a little tired of all the Force-stuff. "Oooo, I can crush this guy's intestines with but a force of will! Oooo!..." Christ... I just want to finally role-play my characters, be it someone with the Force as an ally or a sly scoundrel using his wits and charms or a bounty-hunter'esque combatant, or something else entirely...

I know.  :)

Well complain all u like but its not going to change the fact that its not going to happen in this game. So why dont u keep quite until there is a game where you can be a non-force user and give everyone a break! :p

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Such as if I wanted to play a Force user so be it, but at the same time I could beat the game with a non force user.  Expand the CRPG and have all the classes in the d20 System Star Wars game in the mix and a few choice Prestige Classes.  Make a BG/NWN style CRPG based on the Star Wars universe.

Talk about a huge undertaking, that kind of game would ofcourse not be under KotOR-franchise.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

While I'm not too fond of Hades'...anger towards the game, he does have a good point.

We should be able to play a non-forcer. Though I really think that for story purposes it's okay, I'd still like to be something simple. Maybe a frog, yeah.

At least frogs can jump.

Fnord.

I agree that it would be good to have a SW CRPG where you can choose to be a Force user or not.

However I disagree that it should be one of the KotOR series, the whole point of the series is to highlight the Jedi Order.

But another game, even in the same timeframe as KotOR, would be just fine.

I agree with Hades_One in that I believe there is PLENTY of room for a non-Jedi focused SW RPG. I do not, however, believe that the KoTOR series would be a good place for that RPG.

There is a mystique about the Jedi, our mundane problems are insignificant and fade away when you can immerse yourself in their world as one of them, using extraordinary powers, combatting heinous (and equally powerful) evil. IMHO, people want to play Jedi for the same reason they name themselves after characters of LoTR, or any other piece with remarkable, powerful characters. It's a form of escapism, and a lot of people don't want to escape from one mundane existence to another. Why play a sparrow when you can play an eagle?

Anyway, the above are just my thoughts on the matter. I'd play a bounty hunter. *grin*

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I agree with Teksuni. A starwars RPG where u play a none force user is a good idea, but not for KOTOR2. KOTOR is all about the epic struggle between light and dark, and really, only a force user can defeat another force user.

Besides, the ability to use force powers such as storm *starts drooling* heal *begins to drown in own drool* and crush *no more bubbles come up to surface* *dead*.

Still a RPG where u play a nonforce user would present a unique and different challenge, but it just doesn't work for KOTOR.