Something about the villian

Vader was awesome because you *knew* he could kick the snot out of Luke. Right from the beginning, we see him take down a Jedi Master with little effort. We then see him toy with Luke and eventually remove his hand, all the while asking him to come to the dark side. Malak was much different. You knew he could fire on his master's ship. You knew he was just an apprentice. You knew he had a massive inferiority complex. Throw in the corruption of a weak willed wench and what have ya got? A sniveling sith.

No doubt. I agree with you, as I stated Vader's much better.

But my main point was that people were disappointed because Malak wasn't an evil mastermind type character, but rather a big thug or bully. So i was just saying that that's because he wasn't meant to be a Palpatine/Emperor type character, who had charisma and intelligence oozing. He was more of an "enforcer" type, such as Vader or Maul was.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

But my main point was that people were disappointed because Malak wasn't an evil mastermind type character, but rather a big thug or bully. So i was just saying that that's because he wasn't meant to be a Palpatine/Emperor type character, who had charisma and intelligence oozing. He was more of an "enforcer" type, such as Vader or Maul was.

I am not sure BioWare's current writers are even capable of writing an evil mastermind type character. Good thing BioWare aren't doing KOTOR2 I guess.

Right from the beginning, we see him take down a Jedi Master with little effort.

I thought Obi sacrificed himself to help Luke...but I could be wrong... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I seem to recall him winking at Luke right before he became one with the force....but it might just have been too long since I've seen the OT. :huh:

From the Kevin Spacey school of villany:

Keyser Soze

John Doe

These two are very Palpatine-like; master manipulators, planned out for every eventuality, and probably the smartest guys in their respective worlds.

I'd also like to see a character like Franco Begbie from Trainspotting; you know, the mad dog type who may be on your side one moment then smashing a pool cue over your head the next; of course, this is already a 'type' in most cRPGs so maybe we'll see it again (see Ignus, Korgan for examples)

Who wants depth in a villain?

I want Juliette, the sexy French Sith Lord. Just rip off the gal from Dungeon Master 2.

I want Evil Merk, the guy who kicks puppy dogs, smokes nasty cigars, and steals old ladies' purses. Just get the darkside character from the last game.

And don't forget the crazy Sith Lord that eats his victims and going to extinguish the sun of a settled solar system because that's where they're hiding.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Asimov's Foundation series and Card's Worthing Saga both feature a villian who isn't evil for evil sake. And they don't hate the protagonist. They merely believe it is their fate to tear things down just as it the protagonist's fate to build things up.

Murdock and that one Doctor dude (Don't remember his name, basically an Anti-McGuyver, able to build wierd ass contraptions from ordinary objects like McGuyver, but uses his skills for evil); both from the McGuyver series of old were both good villians. God I loved that show. :)

Gollum from The Lord of the Rings is perhaps the best villian ever...though he can't quite be classed as a villian since he's not really. I always saw him as a sort of anti-hero; not quite a villian, but definitely not an hero.

Screwtape from C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters is definitely an awesome villian, even though he's supposed to be one of Satan's minions.

Vladimir from Max Payne 2 was also an excellent villian...especially since he was my favorite character in the first game....and then they actually made me have an utter hatred for him in the second.

B)

Gollum from The Lord of the Rings is perhaps the best villian ever...though he can't quite be classed as a villian since he's not really. I always saw him as a sort of anti-hero; not quite a villian, but definitely not an hero.

He's not an anti-hero as he's not a protagonist. If you haven't read it, may I suggest Grendel by John Gardner? It's an excellent take on 'villain as protagonist'.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Irenicus can't really happen because that whole deal was much more personal, a thing galactic conquest is not. The problemis you either get the guy who conquers just for the hell or someone with that whole stupid survival of the fitest thing, and hearing that kind of moralistic spouting about why you should slaughter things gets really old considering just about every other game decides to use that as a stupid straw-man.

well whenever discussing villains i just have to say all the baddies in the princess bride are the greatest.

count rugen is very chilling and impassive. i love the bit where he's indulging in a spot of torture and calmly and curiously questions his subjects how he's feeling.

vizzini is ridiculously conceited and amusing if only because of his short stature. i guess his appeal is somewhat similar to the shrek baddie. (cant remember his name off-hand)

prince humperdinck is a self-important lout who turns out to be a coward in the end. id like some more cowardly devious villains in that vein.

just started reading the book. and it seems as great as the movie.

What about a ruthless, cruel and incidious... woman as a sith lord. Some times I think women make better badguys than... well guys. I mean sure a man can be cruel, powerfull and ruthless, but women are generaly more cunning than us men and when they want to be "evil" they can be realy good (personal experience teaches us well). Plus I think a female sith lord would defenitely have more style. B)

I think the masked Sith Lord in te consept art is female.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

The sith could very well be woman and even could be the new dark lord, but both are a bit uncertain. I could picture a man unter the hood although the shape is likely female. That figure is surely going to be significant in the game, she might even be a possible dark companion if you chose the dark path, as likely is the other woman with the white hair a companion if you go through the path of light.

women suck as darklords.

It is known!

I mean. they always fall for the male lead character. duh. Weak!!!

I suppose this could happen but for everything there is a first time. Besides if you have the choise to turn a sith lord to the light would you not do it even if she fell in love with your character? If you follow the light and you manage to turn her, well you made an epic feat like the redemption of Revan. If you follow the dark you team up with her and wreck the entire galaxy. You always need someone for company when you destroy the galaxy otherwise it isn't fun after a while. besides you 'll get bored alone anyway.