Something about the villian

you know who is a great villain ? baron vladimir harkonnen from frank herbert's Dune

and not to forget Leto Atreides II aka The Worm - he is THE ULTIMATE villain in everybody's conception but all he wants is to save the man kind - he was the most intelligent being ever :o

you know who is a great villain ? baron vladimir harkonnen from frank herbert's Dune

and not to forget Leto Atreides II aka The Worm - he is THE ULTIMATE villain in everybody's conception but all he wants is to save the man kind - he was the most intelligent being ever  :p

I read the Dune series and I totally get it. He always was more of a misunderstood hero than a villain...I mean, yes, he did have some "bad" methods of doing things, but his ultimate goal is to aid mankind and he knows how to do it so he is doing it, regardless of what others say or feel.

I think this would be an interesting "Villain"...someone who knows something that others do not and act accordingly to do something that will benefit people overall, but causes hardship along the way. I know there already are plenty of villains like that, but not to the extent of The Worm. What people WANT to have in life is not always necessarily what they NEED. Leto saw this and ruled accordingly. That's what I liked about him.

This is one of the things I have always found lacking in the Sith belief system, that they did actually touch upon with Yuthura Ban in K1. Villains are always the heroes of their own stories. Very rarely do they simply enjoy power for power's sake, there's always some sort of motivation that is noble in their own eyes. Revan, as well, started out trying to stop the Mandalorians, and then he fell. These are the motivations that are STILL lacking in Ep. I and II. While they're attempting to explain Anakin/Vader's fall, they're just not doing a very good job of it.

Sorry, but I am not 9 anymore, and I just don't buy the "bad for bad's sake" that had served so well. While I am not looking for another Magneto, by any stretch, and I don't necessarily think we need Sion to pull up a chair and show us his therapy notes, I do want to know more about why these incredibly "evil" beings turned the way they did.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

yes, it would be great to have a sith lord saying this :

you : why are you so evil ?

him : because i enjoy it. i like people to think of me with terror, my name whispered and not spoken loud as if only it could terrible things, plus i like killing people just for sports ;)

but as far as a game like kotor is involved, it is kind of impossible because every character has to have a story - i have seen some complains that we didn't knew much about malak in kotor so a conversation like the one i wrote would practically kill the story beyond the villain :huh:

This is one of the things I have always found lacking in the Sith belief system, that they did actually touch upon with Yuthura Ban in K1.  Villains are always the heroes of their own stories.  Very rarely do they simply enjoy power for power's sake, there's always some sort of motivation that is noble in their own eyes.  Revan, as well, started out trying to stop the Mandalorians, and then he fell.  These are the motivations that are STILL lacking in Ep. I and II.  While they're attempting to explain Anakin/Vader's fall, they're just not doing a very good job of it.

Sorry, but I am not 9 anymore, and I just don't buy the "bad for bad's sake" that had served so well.  While I am not looking for another Magneto, by any stretch, and I don't necessarily think we need Sion to pull up a chair and show us his therapy notes, I do want to know more about why these incredibly "evil" beings turned the way they did.

That reminds me of a very interesting interview with Iain McDiarmad (sp?) about ep1 where he discusses Palpatine's motivation.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Christiansen is a good actor working with bad dialogue, and a bad director.

He was good in Life as a House despite a bad director (going over the top with a father/son terminal illness scene in the sunset, on the beach, with violins playing in the background) and he is REALLY good in Shatterred Glass.

Lucas comes up with good stories and worlds. But Lucas has never been good at dialogue, and he's gotten cowardly as a director over the years (much like Spielberg). He also lacks editorial process.

I think Haydn Christiansen was a little robotic in AoTC, I dont think I've seen his other films so I could'nt possibly comment on them.

He did have good performances in AoTC however, such as when he killed the tuskan raiders on tattooine and was explaining what he had done to Padame, I think he executed that scene extemely well IMHO :huh:

The problem with that scene is that it goes against Film Making 101.

Instead of telling Padme he killed the whole village, we should have seen it. It's nice to see the emotional reaction afterwards, but it was weak to skip the actual slaughter.

Show, don't tell.

The problem with that scene is that it goes against Film Making 101.

Instead of telling Padme he killed the whole village, we should have seen it.  It's nice to see the emotional reaction afterwards, but it was weak to skip the actual slaughter.

Show, don't tell.

Agreed but if we did witness the slaughter I seriously doubt it would have got the PG rating it did, and as film making = money making, it would want to appeal to the widest possible audience, without seeming to childish hence the PG rating.

But I agree in an ideal world, we should have seen the slaughter ;)

Sorry to interrupt all this Hayden talk. Just a quick word about Malak.

Given there past together Revan and Malak had the potential to develop an interesting protagonist/antagonist relationship. Unfortunately it was never really explored since BioWare would rather have a one-dimensional thug for a villain. After a little while the clich

Palpatine is an incredible villain who is so not getting his due in the movies.  I think it's a cardinal sin that this wonderful character is being so sorely neglected in favour of the Jar Jar Binks and Christiansen's pouty lips.

But the whole point of Palpatine is that he pulls strings from behind the sceens, so it wouldn't really be appropiate for him to get a huge amount of screen time.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!