France Olympics 2024

I thought this should get  it  own thread  considering the prestigious nature  of  this  global  sports event. Who will  be watching?  Im  very excited and knew that France would host an excellent event as usual 

I watched parts  of the opening ceremony and the way the Seines  river was utilized was  very well done 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

People are freaking out about the Last Supper. I mean, it looked like a bacchanal feast to me, but whatever. Everyone is so reactive.

I love the complaints about keeping politics and religion out of the Olympics too. They have always been political.

51 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

People are freaking out about the Last Supper. I mean, it looked like a bacchanal feast to me, but whatever. Everyone is so reactive.

I love the complaints about keeping politics and religion out of the Olympics too. They have always been political.

Culture war morons, it's all they have in their head.  The horse bit did make me snap to Revelations, but not sure what else that's supposed to tell me.  Segment of Christians are super obsessed with the Second Coming.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lollaparooza/crazy-parodies-of-the-last-supper-8s5g?sub=1992906_839049

Article from 2013.

Sopranos, Simpsons, South Park, House, Lost, Mash, DC Comics, Battlestar Galactica and more.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The Eurodance section at the end before the floating horse went on way too long.

But since it meant more triggering of anti-woke reactionary crybabies, guess that was a win as well.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

6 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Everyone loves politics in their entertainment. They just hate it when it's not their politics.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The most annoying part of the opening ceremony were the commercial breaks.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Its a complete overreaction considering it  was such a small part of the overall opening ceremony with all its splendour 

The Olympics has been  on for days and some people are still going on about it, its obvious they not interested in the reason people watch the Olympics which is about sports and athletic  achievements

Its just an example and outcome of culture wars garbage that some people obsess about as the most important thing, any excuse to be outraged and vent  they will be outraged and vent 

Im just following the actual Olympics and the events that interest me. 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We have won our first Gold medal for 100m women's breaststroke 🥂

John Milton 

Hopefully Canadian women get booted, but Colombia will fall. Watch them go on to win, despite being penalized for spying on other teams :lol:

John Milton 

9 hours ago, HoonDing said:

Silver for North Korea in 10m sync diving is kinda surprising to me.

I thought North Koreans spent their entire lives practicing conformity?

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Despite some of the criticism around the opening ceremony from a viewership perspective globally  its become very popular and the predicated success it would be

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2024-olympics-tv-ratings-opening-weekend-1235961393/ 

" Through the first three full days of the games, NBCU is averaging 34.5 million viewers across all of its linear networks and digital platforms for its primary telecasts. The ratings figures include both what it calls “Paris Prime” — 2-5 p.m. ET in the United States, when a host of medal events air live — and the U.S. primetime telecasts.

"The 34.5 million viewer average over the first three days is up 79 percent (from 19.3 million viewers) over the same period for the last Summer Olympics three years ago in Tokyo."

John Milton 

25 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Despite some of the criticism around the opening ceremony from a viewership perspective globally  its become very popular and the predicated success it would be

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2024-olympics-tv-ratings-opening-weekend-1235961393/ 

" Through the first three full days of the games, NBCU is averaging 34.5 million viewers across all of its linear networks and digital platforms for its primary telecasts. The ratings figures include both what it calls “Paris Prime” — 2-5 p.m. ET in the United States, when a host of medal events air live — and the U.S. primetime telecasts.

"The 34.5 million viewer average over the first three days is up 79 percent (from 19.3 million viewers) over the same period for the last Summer Olympics three years ago in Tokyo."

I wonder if that difference is a difference in quality or a difference in time zones? Being a GMT+1 kid living in a GMT+10 adult (and lived for a few years in GMT+12 too), I'm painfully aware of the effects of time zones... 🤔

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I wonder if that difference is a difference in quality or a difference in time zones? Being a GMT+1 kid living in a GMT+10 adult (and lived for a few years in GMT+12 too), I'm painfully aware of the effects of time zones... 🤔

Yes, I  think so.  I would imagine that would be a factor if  you compare  Tokyo  to France

I am very unlikely to  watch any  international sports  event  if its after  midnight 

John Milton 

Hah, some bloke beat the holy jebus out of some lady in box match, was funny to watch her cry as her lifetime dream was taken away in few seconds by show of male superiority xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

6 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Hah, some bloke beat the holy jebus out of some lady in box match, was funny to watch her cry as her lifetime dream was taken away in few seconds by show of male superiority xD

I just read the story on this. Your hot take is dumb. Imane Khelif is not transgender. She's not even new to the Olympics. She lost in 2020 in the semi-finals. 

https://time.com/7006338/imane-khelif-lin-yu-ting-gender-controversy-olympics-women-boxing/

Genetics are complicated. Should Michael Phelps be disqualified because he has a freakish wingspan? 

• Like 2

Eh, it's not really 'dumb', though the phrasing is obviously inflammatory since there's a very real issue at play, and one that has not been dealt with with any sort of consistency at all.

(The issue is not transgender like Lauren Hubbard competing in weightlifting at Tokyo despite being born a man- and who failed all her lifts anyway iirc- since Khalif isn't transgender; the issue is, well, Caster Semenya basically. Who got pretty specifically targeted by rule changes. Indeed, Khalif competing at Tokyo while Semenya couldn't in her favoured events just reinforces how inconsistent the rules are. The real issue is almost certainly not Khalif anyway, it's almost certainly not wanting to 'ban' the Chinese athlete)

She doesn't hit extraordinarily harder from what past women have said.

More importantly  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/01/giorgia-villa-cheese-parmesan-photos-gymnast-italy-olympics

Big Parma, hah

16 hours ago, Gorth said:

I thought North Koreans spent their entire lives practicing conformity?

They literally came out of nowhere. Maybe China made some rejects of their training programme (who are still way better than the rest of the world) pass as North Korean.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Maybe this will be controversial, but I think it's a bigger scandal that Steven van de Velde was allowed to compete in the Olympics after raping a 12 year old than Imane Khelif being allowed to compete. 

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands