What are you Playing Now? - Right Now at the moment edition

I completed Fallou3  after about 50 hours

I enjoyed it but it had its weaknesses and its strengths. I think the biggest reason for much of both the fair and unfair criticism towards FO3 is because people understandably compare it to FO1&2

And thats  a big mistake, you cannot do that because FO3 is so different. FO1&2 are excellent, iconic, isometric styled CRPG that literally set standards for post-apocalyptic   games 

F03 is a first person\third  person game with very different mechanics and it needs to be judged on that

So what I  didnt like  about F03? The narrative was uninspiring, you want to find your father ....meh. But that also suited me because I tended to abandon the main  quest and do side quests because I never felt any urgency to complete the main quest. And then the  main quest ended in a very almost rushed way, I found the GECK and went back to the citadel  ( @Gorth you were right,  those children were very irritating at Lamplight cavern, I wished I had loaded the child killing mod :grin: ) and the Brotherhood of  Steel said we must attack the Enclave with there giant robot Liberty Prime 

But Liberty Prime did all the fighting and I just ran behind it until we reached the Enclave ..and then you make a decision about who to sacrifice and thats it??? Game is over, very lacklustre ending

Also I had some strange bugs like after Lamplight caverns I still couldnt use weapons in the Vault to get the GECK. The game is suppose to allow you to use weapons to kill mutants but the Child " non-killing" block wasnt removed so I had to use console cheats to kill every mutant which is very frustrating. Once I left Vault 87 I could use my weapons again 

Now what I liked about the game, its classic Bethesda open-world sandbox which Bethesda is renowned for and the game delivered on this. As I mentioned I loved randomly exploring and doing side quests like the Wasteland Guide. There were lots of  interesting places to visit like the Oasis with the strange tree mutant 

Then the economy was well done, I never had enough caps for ammunition and weapons and that meant I had to constantly explore and find resources to sell which I enjoyed 

And then the game had some hilarious and memorable characters like Moira  Brown and her comments and quests  to get you to  finish the Wasteland Guide and then Liberty Prime really made me laugh with his anti-Communist comments " "Death is a preferable alternative to communism." " , " Embrace democracy or you will be ERADICATED", " Communism detected on american soil. Lethal force engaged." :grin::grin:

Overall it gets a generous 60\100 on the world famous " BruceVC game rating system" and thats primarily because of the open world design which is always appreciated 

Im going to play Fallout:NV  next and like F03 I have played it before but this time I will mod it properly and comprehensively and I am using  this excellent modding guide as an initial reference but I will add more mods through MO2 

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I think the biggest reason for much of both the fair and unfair criticism towards FO3 is because people understandably compare it to FO1&2

Unfortunately, New Vegas is there to show that there can be a decent RPG build using FO3 structure and tools. Not that FO3 is without any merit - it just isn’t quite there. Both in content quality and system design. 

PS. Anyway Fallout3 is Garbage and Here is Why

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Bartimaeus & @majestic sorry about ruining the interesting conversation, but some things just has to go (and some posts makes no sense when "orphaned" without context) 😁

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

10 minutes ago, Gorth said:

@Bartimaeus & @majestic sorry about ruining the interesting conversation, but some things just has to go (and some posts makes no sense when "orphaned" without context) 😁

Don't worry, I happened to leave a tab of this page open earlier and took an image of it.

firefox_ENXcCFUxXZ.png?rlkey=167eg51h6c0

Learn to live with your mistake of approving AI-generated spam, you commie bastards! There's certain to be more of it that I'll have to point out anyways, with the way things are going: the least you can do is not delete our posts over it.

1 hour ago, majestic said:
3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Oh yeah? Well, "Husnain11221" - if that's even your real name - can you tell us some more racing games that you like to play? Can you describe exactly what you like about them? The tactile sensations and human emotions you experience as you play them? Because unless I'm mistaken, and I'm not, you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell.

Suffice to say, the future of public forums and online discourse is very bleak...as if it hadn't been already.

And here I was, seeing that you replied in this thread, and thought to myself, hey, @Bartimaeus surely commented on a link to hbomberguy, but nah. Another spam bot got through the mod screening. :p

I actually haven't seen this particular hbomberguy video yet, and I'm not too knowledgeable of Fallout 3 (or pretty much any other Bethesda game...or actually, any of the Fallout games for that matter). Anything that says a Bethesda game is bad is pretty much automatically approved by me, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Don't worry, I happened to leave a tab of this page open earlier and took an image of it.

firefox_ENXcCFUxXZ.png?rlkey=167eg51h6c0

Learn to live with your mistake of approving spam, you commie bastards!

I actually haven't seen this particular hbomberguy video yet, and I'm not too knowledgeable of Fallout 3 (or pretty much any other Bethesda game...or actually, any of the Fallout games for that matter). Anything that says a Bethesda game is bad is pretty much automatically approved by me, though.

The downside of phone screens... sometimes stuff is just too fine print! (and no mouse pointer to hover over things) 😂

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Fire Emblem: Engage

Honesty I'd probably rank this in the lowest tier of FE games I've played, right next to Fates. It's just off-putting to me in a way that the good encounter design can't really compensate for, and like Fates it was a rare instance of me losing momentum and taking weeks long breaks or abandoning a FE playthrough outright. It's all the worse coming from 3 Houses, which for all it's faults delivered a consistently better experience throughout the game....even with the fishing bull****.

@Gorth I was in the middle of jumping in the convo when you removed the filthy robot and @Bartimaeus sending it to hell. How naughty :biggrin:

Anyways no new hbomberguy thing is out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Anyways no new hbomberguy thing is out.

majestic just meant that I might be replying to Wormerine's Fallout 3 video, hence why I suddenly brought up Fallout 3 in my previous post.

(e): I see I got a new KP signature quote. Turns out AI bots are good for something, I suppose.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

majestic just meant that I might be replying to Wormerine's Fallout 3 video, hence why I suddenly brought up Fallout 3 in my previous post.

Ah, nonetheless I am disappointed because hbomberguy is good listening. I do not remember playing Fallout 3 but I assume it is a lot like interacting with bots on social media, navigating a wasteland filled with pale imitations of humans spouting drivel that would be a surface level conversation between two real people but without any soul to it. At least you can just shoot them in Fallout 3, too bad playing Bethesda game makes me want to shoot myself.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I see I got a new KP signature quote. Turns out AI bots are good for something, I suppose.

You're not wrong. I've said this before but the dystopia of robots isn't Terminator (Jimmy Cameron was wrong again) but being flooded with bull**** like "I like car games vroom vroom" to the point where actual contact with human beings is few and far between because navigating the bots is too much effort. Given the amount of energy bots take and where that energy comes from, the reality of burning down the planet to allow **** to use spam bots for scams is more horrifying than the machines just wiping is out.

But that line was pretty funny.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You guys really ought to watch homberguy's Fallout 3 video, if only to find out whether or not Tommy Tallarico made all the music and sounds for it. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 minutes ago, majestic said:

You guys really ought to watch homberguy's Fallout 3 video, if only to find out whether or not Tommy Tallarico made all the music and sounds for it. :p

I may do that soon, however I intend to watch 2-4 Ken Russel movies today to see if they can drive me insane.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Made some progress in Necromunda: Hired Gun.

Didn't listen to people's advise to avoid an area where people disappear.

Ran into a Genestealer nest.

Kal Jericho and I agreed we'll continue our search in the opposite direction.

Nice that neither the player character nor anyone they talk to know what a genestealer is, so your character just talks about monsters and then gets drunk to forget them.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Arcadia Fallen. Replayed the game almost from the start. The scared child being not scared was required for one of the side quests. So I repeatedly told him that the party would save his brother.

Spoiler

We sort of did, then the brother killed himself in the final battle to kill the demons as well. It was somehow interesting that the authors tried to portray the unfriendly ghosts sympathetically, but the party at no point could actually act on it.

I have also discovered what would happen if the party commits all possible crimes throughout the story and fails/succeeds the trial, though without one of the party members dying (I did not meet the other conditions and it would have been sad).

Calico. Without a combat system, deep crafting or building or more interesting traversal abilities (gliding with a crow was cool, though), the game feels a bit boring. I resumed my 2y/o save file, unlocked and explored the city, and uninstalled.

Almighty: Kill You Gods. The MC is a humanoid horned wolf, who can double jump from the start. Despite the most amusing ability to kill any regular foe my running into them (and the stamina bar and regeneration were quite generous), the first encounter with a larger opponent (a giant turtle) proved that there was a reason why the shooting action was bound to LMB by default (the controls were rebindable). The mission design was rather basic - "Kill X Lost" and "Gather Y resources". So, while I really liked the traversal abilities, the rest of the game did not feel good. It also did not like my CPU (which will turn 10 in December).

Queer Man Peering Into a Rock Pool. For the most of the game I had thought that the environment was an allusion for mental issues (in particular, dementia), but no, it seems to mean the actual post-apocalypse, Evangelion-style. The controls were not rebindable, the MC was moving (walking or jogging) rather slowly. Though, I quite like the MC and his partner.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, majestic said:

You guys really ought to watch homberguy's Fallout 3 video 

I found it very cathartic to watch his riff on Fallout3 reviews, as I found them ridiculously inaccurate at the time. I haven’t felt as disconnected with reception to the game and my own experience until Baldur’s Gate3. And it’s not that people like it, and I don’t (that happens often enough), but that they keep praising the game for things it is clearly not good bad at. 

Interestingly, reviewer for Gamespot for who praised F3 for being “deep and involving” and having “interesting choices” was one of the writers for Baldur’s Gate3. Stays on brand at least. BG3 also thinks “do you want to kill a city full of people or not” is an interesting choice. 

Edited by Wormerine