Music: Sharing and Listening - The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between

xzar_monty

When some notes are stuck in your head and you try to remember what they're from, then finally do. :lol:

Also, this uploader's videos are great (US) top hits memory lane trips (some decades he made two vids). The approx. percent of ones I recognize:
--1950's, 40% (1955+ is where it became more common for me) --1960's, 85% --1970's, 90% --1980's, 99.9%

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@LadyCrimson oh wow... that brings back early childhood memories 😂

That reminds of this one, from before even I was born! (they played it a lot on the radio long before I became a teenager)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ah, Sweden, the land of ketchup on pizza, ketchup on pasta and, uhm, Caramel...la Girls.

It is the musical equivalent of a train wreck. I cannot stop staring with my ears.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Mafia series is a great way to find older music

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 5/4/2023 at 8:48 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Also, this uploader's videos are great (US) top hits memory lane trips (some decades he made two vids). The approx. percent of ones I recognize:
--1950's, 40% (1955+ is where it became more common for me) --1960's, 85% --1970's, 90% --1980's, 99.9%

As someone who's probably a little younger than you but hasn't ever much actively engaged in pop music:

1950s: 25%
1960s: 15%
1970s: 35%
1980s: 30%
1990s: 30%
2000s: 10% (ngl, probably about half of the ones I did recognize were just songs I recognized as weird al having parodied)
2010s: 5%
2020s: presumably going to be somewhere between 0 and 1% unless my nieces have something to say about it

Conclusion: Do not look to me for any opinions on music, present or historical. Well, everyone really should've already known that, but this is definitely more corroborating evidence.

On 5/5/2023 at 4:47 PM, majestic said:

Caramel...la Girls

stop

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My favourite Faeroese songbird strikes again ☺️

I haven't seen the movie, but what an interesting soundtrack. Sounds like an extended version of another of her songs 'Trollabundin' or the latter sounds like a condensed version of the soundtrack

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I love this. Drum cam video of Vinny Appice doing Dio's We Rock with some band I know nothing about. The singer is pretty good, although he's obviously nowhere near Dio himself, but to watch Vinny is just lovely. Marvelous sense of dynamics here: he hits hard but also has the subtle stuff in complete control. Not a hard song to play, this one, but making it this smooth isn't a piece of cake.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:51 AM, Bartimaeus said:

stop

Why though? Caramella Girls works wonders for quieting my mind, being incredibly simplistic but really catchy. :p

Plus there's the trolling issue. Whenever I post something serious here I get zero comments or reactions, posting silly music at least gets a complaint or two. :yes:

Anyway, here's something for ya all, I suppose @Azdeus will already know it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Plus there's the trolling issue. Whenever I post something serious here I get zero comments or reactions, posting silly music at least gets a complaint or two.

I don't know how other people view this thread, but most of the music people post in here I can only (valiantly) persevere 5-10 seconds through before closing out. I could start marking everybody's posted with "Confused" reactions if you like, as that's about all that would seem appropriate.

firefox_txXjBZytN8.gif

• Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know how other people view this thread, but most of the music people post in here I can only (valiantly) persevere 5-10 seconds through before closing out. I could start marking everybody's posted with "Confused" reactions if you like, as that's about all that would seem appropriate.

Why's that? The valiant perseverance only carrying you on for so long, I mean. What do you like, then?

It is true that other people's comments and/or preferences and whatnot can seem extraordinarily strange because we can come from such different backgrounds. I mean, I remember reading your comment on Peter Pan in the "what are you reading" thread and thinking it was unreal: this person possesses some quite remarkable ignorance when it comes to literature. But yeah, I also possess ignorance on a lot of things.

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Anyway, here's something for ya all, I suppose @Azdeus will already know it.

You know me, I have the album. Somewhere. Or my sister stole it and threw it away.

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

You know me, I have the album. Somewhere. Or my sister stole it and threw it away.

Buy one for two, special price for you! :p

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, majestic said:

Buy one for two, special price for you! :p

You know it really sucks people don't really use CDs anymore. They were real nice to buy as gifts :)

Then again, I doubt my sister appreciated me buying her an Arch Enemy CD for christmas. 😕

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

57 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

You know it really sucks people don't really use CDs anymore. They were real nice to buy as gifts :)

Oh but they do! I'm listening to Wagner's Tristan und Isolde on CD as I type, and every once in a while I even receive one as a gift.

But yeah, it's rare. I think it's extremely sad that the whole music industry is essentially destroyed. Music is no longer a way to make a decent living unless you happen to be that one guy in Sweden who happens to make an indecent living via Spotify. It's a huge, huge loss for artistic endeavour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

You know it really sucks people don't really use CDs anymore.

I'm still entirely on CDs for my music, since I stopped being interested in any new music by the late-90s. I have around 270 CDs in my collection. :)

• Like 2

Heh, I couldnt upload my CD's into Apple music fast enough...begone physical mediums!

6 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

But yeah, it's rare. I think it's extremely sad that the whole music industry is essentially destroyed. Music is no longer a way to make a decent living unless you happen to be that one guy in Sweden who happens to make an indecent living via Spotify. It's a huge, huge loss for artistic endeavour.

Why do you feel that the death of CD's has destroyed the industry? Imo, it opened up huge sales possibilities by giving the consumer the ability to instantly purchase anything they want.

21 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Why's that? The valiant perseverance only carrying you on for so long, I mean. What do you like, then?

It is true that other people's comments and/or preferences and whatnot can seem extraordinarily strange because we can come from such different backgrounds. I mean, I remember reading your comment on Peter Pan in the "what are you reading" thread and thinking it was unreal: this person possesses some quite remarkable ignorance when it comes to literature. But yeah, I also possess ignorance on a lot of things.

I have a noted and remarkably poor tolerance for continuing to sitting through at length things that I do not enjoy, be it music, television, or books. When it comes to specifically English literature, I always had a tendency to start thoroughly skipping the books I just wasn't feeling, which was a lot of them because "classic" middle school-level, high school-level, and college-level English literature was full of books that I would've either returned to the library or donated immediately if given the choice. It's really not any different from the conversation I had with Gromnir regarding Citizen Kane: I've enjoyed a lot of very old films, but I didn't really enjoy Citizen Kane basically at all even after having specifically taken the time to read about how it pioneered and revolutionized film-making beforehand, so what am I supposed to take away from the experience? Bleh. Suffice to say, not only will 'ignorance' of such subjects abound from the point of view of someone more traditionally 'learned', it's also pretty clear that I will have very different takeaways compared to most others...and any appreciation I have for something will often derive from things that others evidently do not understand, and I am fine with that. On a side-note, my comment about the Peter Pan book was actually in the movie thread, not the book thread. I am somewhat curious as to what you would take issue with, given that I didn't really write much about it in the first place...mainly, it focused on Peter himself, so I suppose you had a very different reading of his character?

On the subject of music, I just don't enjoy the vast majority of music, which is why I don't typically comment in here on other people's music: I try stuff out, and I almost always go "oh, yeah, this isn't for me" very quickly. When watching all of those "top hits from each month for [given decade]" videos, I came across just two artists from all of those videos combined whom I took an interest in (Gogi Grant and Melanie), whom I subsequently wrote down and said "I'm going to check out an album from both of them", which I did and subsequently kind of wrote off because even though I liked the specific songs I heard in those videos, I still didn't really enjoy their music as a whole. That's usually the way it goes for me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Heh, I couldnt upload my CD's into Apple music fast enough...begone physical mediums!

Why do you feel that the death of CD's has destroyed the industry? Imo, it opened up huge sales possibilities by giving the consumer the ability to instantly purchase anything they want.

Have you read through Apples ToS for that stuff? Atleast you owned your cds.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, majestic said:

Plus there's the trolling issue.

Hmm..

• Confused 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Have you read through Apples ToS for that stuff? Atleast you owned your cds.

General rule of thumb is that if a service will let you watch, read, or listen to something, that service has necessarily opened up a golden opportunity for you to permanently own it outside their means of control as well. Whether or not a particular end user finds this of interest or will make use of it is another matter entirely...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

General rule of thumb is that if a service will let you watch, read, or listen to something, that service has necessarily opened up a golden opportunity for you to permanently own it outside their means of control as well. Whether or not a particular end user finds this of interest or will make use of it is another matter entirely...

Yep, but not necessarily sanctioned though. I know that spotify lets you download their tracks to your computer, but I don't think there is any player outside of spotify that handles them, I haven't looked it up.

I didn't follow it at the time, but there was some lawsuit several years ago from the children of a person that had died. He'd spent alot of money buying music digitally, and the kids wanted their inheritance. I don't know how that went though.

• Gasp! 1

11 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

On a side-note, my comment about the Peter Pan book was actually in the movie thread, not the book thread. I am somewhat curious as to what you would take issue with, given that I didn't really write much about it in the first place...mainly, it focused on Peter himself, so I suppose you had a very different reading of his character?

No, I am referring to what you wrote in the book thread, which was this: "Peter Pan and the Starcatchers (2004). I recently read and enjoyed the original Peter Pan (or Peter and Wendy, its proper title), so I thought I would try the next one in the series. I did not know or notice that this was not the same author or made even remotely in the same time period as the original. It's effectively a competent but quite lame direct-to-DVD prequel in classic early 2000s Disney fashion, except it's a book instead of a movie. It's also literally authored by Disney - apparently, they let a bunch of people write what was essentially a pilot chapter, picked what they liked best and rejected the rest, then let their choice of author write five milquetoast Peter Pan books. I do not recommend."

This is currently the second-to-last comment in the thread, you can go and check. I don't take issue with anything, I was simply astonished that someone would know so little about the history of Peter Pan and would actually, at first, take Peter Pan and the Starcatchers as a book that has something to do with the original.

14 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

It wasn't the death of CDs that destroyed the industry, nor did I say so. It was the proliferation of free internet sharing which gave birth to a generation who regards it as their right to have all of their music for free[*]. As a consequence of this, musicians are no longer able to make a living through their music, sales have plummeted to abysmal levels and the industry is essentially dead. Some old names still keep it going, but only for a little while longer. It makes me sad, being such a lover of music.

There are no new major bands, and there won't be. I suppose the most recent band that can still tour stadiums is Metallica, and they were formed in the very early 1980s. The whole of the 2000s have produced nothing of that stature, significance and success. Now, quality is not measured by success, but the current industry is such that you can keep going if you have already established yourself in the earlier era, but it is well-nigh impossible to establish yourself now.

[*] A similar phenomenon exists within print media which is in dire straits, and the online media tends to be much, much worse than print media used to be. (But there are exceptions.)