What You've Done Today - Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

majestic

...I wonder if California is going to ban the sale of high end gpu's (not just prebuilt "gaming pc's") at some point in the next few/several years. Maybe I really should build a new PC in the next couple years just in case. 😛

...LC, ruining the climate in her own selfish way. At least my personal car is mostly a plastic/steel paperweight 99.9% of the time. Hardeharhar.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally showed my boss a side project I've been working on to help streamline some work processes and his first question was if I could make a GUI for it. Mind you, I'm not a programmer and my scripting skills are mostly limited to things that are in the function of my job. There's only 4 inputs, which the scripts prompts for, but I guess typing those into command prompt or PS is a bridge too far*

So now I'm building the most basic GUI in PowerShell and wondering why I bother at all.

*I'm pretty sure he's going to try to repurpose it for something else. It's meant to grab certain customer data that we use for our internal documentation

Free games updated 3/4/21

When you think you've become blase about the average summer temps of your area, sitting outside in shorts, going "it's a nice day out here", but then one day nature laughs at you again. 113F/45C at 130pm. It's interesting what a difference 10-15 or so (F) degrees makes sometimes. Shouldn't last too long at least.

...the city likes to email pleading to conserve energy. I suppose I can turn the house-A/C setting from 80F to ... oh ... 88F.  And I can turn off the gaming PC, don't need it with all these mobile devices around. Does that count? 😛

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

12 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

When you think you've become blase about the average summer temps of your area, sitting outside in shorts, going "it's a nice day out here", but then one day nature laughs at you again. 113F/45C at 130pm. It's interesting what a difference 10-15 or so (F) degrees makes sometimes. Shouldn't last too long at least.

...the city likes to email pleading to conserve energy. I suppose I can turn the house-A/C setting from 80F to ... oh ... 88F.  And I can turn off the gaming PC, don't need it with all these mobile devices around. Does that count? 😛

We're less than a month away from my favorite month of the year, October. I don't know how it is where you are, but here in Cackalacky October is AMAZING, as is November to a lesser degree. I don't need to run AC, I don't need to run heat, heck, I don't need a fan most of the time.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

55 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

We're less than a month away from my favorite month of the year, October. I don't know how it is where you are, but here in Cackalacky October is AMAZING, as is November to a lesser degree. I don't need to run AC, I don't need to run heat, heck, I don't need a fan most of the time.

1.5 months in the spring, and 1.5 months in the fall is pleasant.

amusing, but in spite o' the grousing 'bout the sacramento heat, this has been the  most comfortable summer in the past +5 years-- the usual ca wildfires is too far north or south to impact us direct this season. being able to open windows at night makes a huge difference. feels like a forgotten luxury to have fresh air and delta breezes on summer nights. able to go outdoors and breathe w/o it being hazardous to your health is atypical for recent mid-july through mid-september. have been riding our bike every AM, which we ain't been able to do regular during the summer for more than a few some years.

this week in the valley is gonna average highs o' 110 and 'ccording to weather channel, our current location as o' 3:28 PM is 116 degrees F... and will probable go up a couple more degrees by 4:30. should start to get better saturday. even so, has been a relative nice summer, all thing considered.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, I told my wife what a nice summer it has been, and how we barely needed our small pinguino AC unit until this week. She glared at me as we moved our mattress into the one room where we have AC. Kids slept on the couch, and we slept on the mattress. Good times. :p

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

My rinky dink PowerShell GUI was well received and as a reward for my work I now get to add more features. I only created this thing to automate a previously manual process.

See what happens when you do more than the bare minimum ? 😛

Work is fun for me, not having any teammates within the same hemisphere, makes training and onboarding fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

You should quiet quit, Shady.

Or just don't tell your boss about things you do to improve your work.  At least until maybe 2 weeks before EOY reviews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

You should quiet quit, Shady.

Would if I could, unfortunately I'm a workaholic and actually enjoy my job. I'd never tell anyone but you all that, though. To everyone else I say, work is what I do to live, not who I am. I just do this until I can pursue my real passion full-time. If that ask what that is then I just make up something ridiculous. 

Yeah, the system has me.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Why do you have to lie about having a real passion, though ?  Doesn't seem like it'd be a necessary followup

16 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Why do you have to lie about having a real passion, though ?  Doesn't seem like it'd be a necessary followup

Because if you say stop motion animation recreations of iconic romance films with preserved amphibians people tend to look at you weird.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

27 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

The whole thing is a lie. Can't let people get too close or get to know you because... reasons. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

59 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

The whole thing is a lie. Can't let people get too close or get to know you because... reasons. 

I recommend making a burner identity. It's not enough to withhold information, you must practice disinformation

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

You know these types of calls when someone you know goes "You do something with computers at work, right?" and then has a question about their phone, because that's clearly the same thing. Well, granted, for a time they were pretty similar, but sadly Windows Phone died an ignominious death it did not deserve, and as such, we now have iOS, where the answer to any problem is "call the hotline, because you can't do anything at all to solve your issue on your own" and Android, where the user experience was designed by a group of biopolar schizophrenics with a dash of misanthropy.

The caller this time was the wife of the guy who currently lies dying at the hospital, so of course I tell her to come over when she says that her phone is trying to tell her something and she doesn't understand what that is. There were two issues, the first one being a text message from the provider telling her that she's reached the limit of her phone plan and will now be charged for any additional minute she spends calling someone. A pretty steep rate, at that, clocking in at 40c per minute, but that's the price of having an otherwise fairly cheap plan. Stay under the limit and you win, go over, and, well, yeah.

It took me like five minutes to explain to her what the phone plan is, what it means to pay for calling someone (oh how I wish I was joking) and that her current balance on the prepaid card is a bit more than sixty Euro, or another 155 minutes. Then I asked her when the 'free' minutes of her plan will refresh, which she of course doesn't know. The other issue was an Android message recommending a reboot because the phone hasn't been turned off for a while. She tells me that they get this message like once a month and that her husband usually presses a button and that's done pretty quickly.

Naturally, I reboot the damned thing, ask for her PIN code, and she's like: "What's that?"

Ten seconds later after she realized that we just locked her out of the phone, predictably, hilarity of a really bad kind ensues. Panic, yelling, having half a heart attack, screaming, some more panic, realizing that she also of course does not know any of the details necessary to convince the hotline to hand over the unlock code, and then she packs everything and runs off after exclaiming that she has no idea what to do now and that coming here was a mistake. Okay, I get it. She's on edge. Who wouldn't be in such a situation, but... she has a land line and another mobile, so all she really would have needed to do is tell the hospital to call the other number if something happens, and then go to a service point tomorrow to have her phone unlocked.

My mother called the service hotline and pretended to  be her, explained the situation and managed to convince them to hand over the unlock code for the SIM card - that's fairly easy when you know every little detail, like the address and birth dates and all that. Now she doesn't pick up any of the other phones, so my parents are off looking for her.

What an evening. Whoever calls and asks for help next time will get a very firm no. I'm done with this sh...tuff. Done with this stuff.

• Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Another person and I are responsible for updating our company website (products, news, etc.) and it turns out I have a flair for this while the other dude is terribad. Now the whole thing has blown up in my face and updating the website has become my baby. :lol:

In '98 or '99 my supervisor at the time came in and announced that we were going to build a website for our department!

...and then he handed me a book on HTML. 😄 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

16 minutes ago, majestic said:

Android, where the user experience was designed by a group of biopolar schizophrenics with a dash of misanthropy.

You write this as if this was the wrong way to do it.

• Haha 1

In my quest to burn through my savings purchasing ammunition, I took another trip to the shooting range today. I won't bore you with the details, but I am proud of this 15 yard grouping:

bND0Q5A.jpeg

Even the 3 outliers that went high were halfway decent shots, the other 12 shots were great. Side note: My Vortex Venom red dot has been terrific at holding up to getting constantly jostled by being mounted on a slide, not to mention the recoil that comes with a hand cannon. It has remained perfectly dialed in through over 500 shots.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I seem to have messed up my Obsidian forum settings/view on my desktop pc (at least in FireFox). It works fine on my phone and my work laptop, so I know it's just a local thing on that browser/pc. The text font is *tiny* and black and effectively impossible to read on the default dark grey background. Anyone out there got any idea what I could have touched/clicked/changed ???

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Ctrl + Scroll? I dont have any idea why the text color would turn black.

An example of what my post above looks like for me on my desktop (with a font that is like 2/3 of the normal size font):
image.thumb.png.1e0135fda41f1c96469cd368089023e4.png

Edit: I suspect it's a firefox thing, as it works normally in Edge. But I have no idea how it ended up this way, so a bit lost where to search for site specific settings in firefox 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Edit: I suspect it's a firefox thing, as it works normally in Edge. But I have no idea how it ended up this way, so a bit lost where to search for site specific settings in firefox

If it's happening only on this forum, my guess is that you've accidentally changed a source file via some add-on or source-view capability.
There are Firefox Tools/options re: font styles and font sizes, where you can override site defaults,  but far as I know, the only colors option is for visited/unvisited links and all of that would affect every site, not just a single one.  That said I'm probably behind (don't fix what ain't broke etc) on whatever latest monthly Firefox version is being used so maybe they have new options I'm unaware of.

The usual easy question/action would be did you at least try to log out of the forum, manually delete obsidian's forum's cookies (or all cookies) and close-all/restart the browser?

Edited by LadyCrimson