The TV and Streaming Thread: Pilot Week

kanisatha

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's the maddening bit of it, and probably why I've watched the entirety of the last two seasons: the show has a lot of good moments that I enjoy. It all just gets so bogged down in the same Eleven + monster mash re-hash combined with the faux character drama stuff, and I just get exhausted from it. I want to like it without reservation, I really do, but I just can't seem to turn my brain off. Someone, please turn off my brain. Please, anybody, just turn my brain off - just for a day or two, flip that switch.

iStock-1162440919.jpg

Just close your eyes and run this.

Edited by Lexx
  • Gasp! 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I remember that I watched Stranger Things S1 and I liked it quite a bit. Then I watched S2 and a realization came over me: Oh no, the creative well is dry already. I don't remember if I actually finished S2. I didn't even bother with S3.

That pretty much sums up my feeling about ST. Although I think I only watched one or two episodes of season2.

I've pretty much decided that every "Netflix" labeled series ever, even if (I think) the first season is fun/good/great, if they keep going with more seasons, I won't like it. (EDIT - it's not that they become bad exactly, they just become...not-compelling enough to watch)

Stranger Things
Lost In Space
Umbrella Academy
Haunting of Hill House
Daredevil
Bridgerton
(to a lesser extent) Love Death and Robots

...and on and on. Netflix is the one-season-wonder originals. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

That's the maddening bit of it, and probably why I've watched the entirety of the last two seasons: the show has a lot of good moments that I enjoy. It all just gets so bogged down in the same Eleven + monster mash re-hash combined with the faux character drama stuff, and I just get exhausted from it. I want to like it without reservation, I really do, but I just can't seem to turn my brain off. Someone, please turn off my brain. Please, anybody, just turn my brain off - just for a day or two, flip that switch.

iStock-1162440919.jpg

If you want to turn your brain off, 

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

That pretty much sums up my feeling about ST. Although I think I only watched one or two episodes of season2.

I've pretty much decided that every "Netflix" labeled series ever, even if (I think) the first season is fun/good/great, if they keep going with more seasons, I won't like it. (EDIT - it's not that they become bad exactly, they just become...not-compelling enough to watch)

Stranger Things
Lost In Space
Umbrella Academy
Haunting of Hill House
Daredevil
Bridgerton
(to a lesser extent) Love Death and Robots

...and on and on. Netflix is the one-season-wonder originals. :lol:

Except for Stranger Things, all shows in your list are ****ty written. :p

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, Lexx said:

Except Sadly, even including for Stranger Things, all shows in your list are ****ty written after the first season. :p

Fixed that for you.  😛

More seriously, in my of course completely objective and unbiased opinion ( :shifty: ), 97.999% of all shows/movies are terribly written. That doesn't mean I don't find some of it still very entertaining, mind ... entertainment doesn't have to be super literate or sensible or whatever to just entertain ... but they are still weakly plotted and paced. Quantity over quality or something, especially re: Netflix and their "we just care about getting people to binge-watch something, anything, all the time" mantra.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not going to argue about s2 and s3, but s1 was great. Maybe the problem is with you people. :p

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

I'm not going to argue about s2 and s3, but s1 was great. Maybe the problem is with you people. :p

Isn't that what she originally wrote and then also re-iterated?

13 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I've pretty much decided that every "Netflix" labeled series ever, even if (I think) the first season is fun/good/great, if they keep going with more seasons, I won't like it.

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Except Sadly, even including for Stranger Things, all shows in your list are ****ty written after the first season.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

No idea, do I look like I read stuff?

/edit: I just remember that this was about the general hate for the show. But hey, who am I to talk about it ... I'm not the one who keeps suffering through Star Trek. 😄

I wouldn't say this is a Netflix problem btw. You see the same pattern with others shows on other networks. Guess what is a Netflix issue is that those tv show creators never know if they will be renewed for a season 2, 3, 4, etc. so they try to wrap up everything at the end of a season and then later just try to make the best of it.

Edited by Lexx
  • Gasp! 1

Insomnia binged Stranger Things: A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Maybe it's because I was exhausted but my brain would not let me sleep, but I found it to be formulaic and carried mostly by the strength of the cast. So better than most Netflix shows. The frustrating thing is that it isn't outright bad and there a great moments, but when the mediocre starts rolling it goes on for a while.

Spoiler time

I saw the big twist coming, but didn't think that Vecna/One would also be the little kid from the 50's. Compared to the rest of the upside down monsters Vecna was too humanoid mentally and physically, so he had to come from the real world initially. In some ways it reminds me of Doctor Doom in that awful Fantastic Four movie that tanked Josh Trank's career more than it does ol' Freddy Krueger.

They are totally making Will gay, and of course the closeted gay guy is pining for his straight best friend who is in love with the heroine. I'm fine with Will being gay, but the unrequited love is such a boring move.

The Cali gang seemed to have disappeared from the final episode. I know that Hopper escaping the Gulag and the Hawkins kids doing supernatural detective work is more important, but I'd like to see some more of them driving around or doing something.

Speaking of groups that disappeared, the lynch mob just faded into the background. Seems like that would have some consequences.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

O.K., in traditional me fashion, I cheated. Episode 4 of Dr. Stranger Things or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Skip Button. The show's much better if you just skip like...half of it.

Spoiler

Music as a form of resistance is hilarious and silly, but I kind of like it as a callback to rock/metal music being the devil and fits in with D&D being called the same thing, and at least it's a little different from "Eleven kills monster"...but I'm sure we'll get to that soon. This monster is kinda really lame, though, but I guess last season's was too - it somehow feels worse because of how he looks and the CGI and voice, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

22 hours ago, Lexx said:

Well, maybe the show is just not for you then. Not everyone has to like everything. If it sucks, just move on, don't pull a Star Trek on it where you force yourself to waste time in the hopes of ever seeing joy again.

Hate is the best drug of all, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

35 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

O.K., in traditional me fashion, I cheated. Episode 4 of Dr. Stranger Things or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Skip Button. The show's much better if you just skip like...half of it.

Reveal hidden contents

Music as a form of resistance is hilarious and silly, but I kind of like it as a callback to rock/metal music being the devil and fits in with D&D being called the same thing, and at least it's a little different from "Eleven kills monster"...but I'm sure we'll get to that soon. This monster is kinda really lame, though, but I guess last season's was too - it somehow feels worse because of how he looks and the CGI and voice, though.

Skip buttons, block features, ignore settings, what would life be like without such things?

But just to be consistent......

Bartimaeus ! You naughty ! surly you must watch the whole thing ?

Regarding the villain...

qdupq8u72gs31.jpg?auto=webp&s=278e5fca49

Yeah, he's pretty lame. Like Freddy but swapping the charisma of Robert Englund for some cgi cape**** villain. I find myself enjoying the 20-something teenagers more than the spooooooky cgi hellworld or evil Russians/Military guys, who somehow make it feel boring despite guns or monsters.

• Like 1

Quickly? Season 3 released 3 years ago.

What I find more funny is that whenever I see Natalia Dyer on screen, I can't stop thinking about all the drugs. 😄 Wasn't her show-boyfriend also busted for drugs or something?

Edited by Lexx

3 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Skip buttons, block features, ignore settings, what would life be like without such things?

I should start watching the new Star Treks, each season will be around ten minutes long.

3 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

I find myself enjoying the 20-something teenagers more than the spooooooky

Yeah, that's the stuff (the latter) I've been skipping. Well, I finished up to episode seven now, and I gotta say, I really need to remember to use skip for shows - what an improvement it makes when I just skip any scene I don't want to see. I mean, skipping parts of a show does mean I can't watch it with anybody else because that would be horribly obnoxious and nobody else in the entire world is as an annoying and cantankerous of a watcher as I am when I'm really not enjoying something, but...on the other hand, it means I was actually able to watch the show and I can be like "yeah, I enjoyed it" (ignoring that I, in fact, had to skip an entire third of the show in order for me to enjoy it, but who's keeping track, right?). This show doesn't usually have bad character writing for the most part, it just cares a lot more about the spooky/government stupid stuff that peaked in the first season and fell off a precipitous cliff in the second and has just gotten so much worse since.

Spoiler

One thing I appreciate about Eleven's narrative being horrible boring stupid garbage is the fact that they've kept her more or less completely separate from everyone else, which means the other characters have had to figure out stuff on their own without her, which is a lot more fun than...not. Also, by doing that, they made it so I can just straight up skip everything about her, which helped me realize most everything else was still pretty enjoyable. So all in all, it was pretty much a success.

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

Quickly? Season 3 released 3 years ago.

What I find more funny is that whenever I see Natalia Dyer on screen, I can't stop thinking about all the drugs. 😄 Wasn't her show-boyfriend also busted for drugs or something?

If her boyfriend was Dustin's brother, then yes. I can never remember his name.

(e): Lmao, I didn't even get the name there right - WILL's brother. That's some advanced forgetting who he is: Sir He-Who-Was-Important-in-the-First-Season.

Edited by Bartimaeus

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

What I find more funny is that whenever I see Natalia Dyer on screen, I can't stop thinking about all the drugs.

gotta admit our first thought whenever we see her is, "why won't somebody fix her a sandwich or a bowl o' mac n' cheese? something. anything." we see people obvious not poor and nevertheless that skinny and it looks like a cry for help to us.

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think if you would offer her a sandwich, she'd eat it and then go to the toilet and let it out again if you know what I mean.

Or maybe she is on cocaine diet, I dunno.

Edited by Lexx
  • Hmmm 1

Just now, Lexx said:

I think if you would offer her a sandwich, she'd eat it and then go to the toilet and let it out again if you know what I mean.

No, can you explain more? :x

59 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I should start watching the new Star Treks, each season will be around ten minutes long

In those cases you just skip the whole thing.

I think it's funny how both of Eleven's adopted fathers just got resurrected to make the plot work. And the unintended messaging that psychologically abusing children can be good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

I think it's funny

Yeah, I probably would've thought that was dumb too...if I had seen it. Ignorance is bliss.

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I should start watching the new Star Treks, each season will be around ten minutes long.

You're far too optimistic. Fitting for watching Star Trek, I guess, just not for that Star Trek.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I enjoyed the first two episodes of the Kenobi series. I didn't mind the shaky camera in the first scene, but I'm still wondering why the two soldiers got close to the Jedi wielding a light saber. No matter how bad your aiming is, if your opponent has a short range weapon, shouldn't you stay far from them?confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

sign.jpg

Started watching the ObiWan show. Made it through ep1, fell asleep in ep2. 😄 One major issue for me is that I know how terrible the ending of certain character is and every time I see that character on screen I have to think about that and I'm just like, what's even the point of all of this.