Qatar 2022 - The Thread!

Katphood

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Like... why?

The real question is " why would you not support England in this stage of the WC" ?

You have to support someone. Football originated in England, globally football fans love the Premier League,  France won the last WC and England won the last time in 1966

Do the right thing Monty, support  England vs France 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

43 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

The real question is " why would you not support England in this stage of the WC" ?

You have to support someone.

No, it isn't. And no, you don't. I can't think of a way anyone could rationally argue for either of the claims you make. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but you don't make much sense now.

(I have seen a little bit of the World Cup now. Neymar's goal yesterday was superb. As unsporting as he is as a character, he's a damn good player.)

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

13 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

No, it isn't. And no, you don't. I can't think of a way anyone could rationally argue for either of the claims you make. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but you don't make much sense now.

(I have seen a little bit of the World Cup now. Neymar's goal yesterday was superb. As unsporting as he is as a character, he's a damn good player.)

So if you not supporting England to win the WC who are you supporting?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

56 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So if you not supporting England to win the WC who are you supporting?

Nobody. I might watch some of the games that are still left, but I'm not rooting for anyone -- unless it's an individual team in a particular match putting on a splendid display.

I have historical reasons to support anyone that Holland or (to a lesser degree) Serbia plays against, and I have tended to support Spain in the 2000s, but other than that, I just enjoy the games that I watch. I haven't watched a single game from start to finish in this World Cup, and most games I haven't watched at all.

• Hmmm 1

Portuguese keeper with some FM-level play there on that goal

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, rjshae said:

Has there been a World Cup with this many upsets? It's surely been a while.

My sense is that at least some of the upsets are due to the fact that some of the teams had hardly any time to practice. Almost no friendlies before the tournament.

But to answer your question: can't think of one just now.

Ronaldo crying was what I needed today.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Morocco winning put a smile on my face.

As for the next match, I'm torn. England losing is always a welcome occasion, but I really want someone, anyone, to beat France. I guess I'm rooting for meteor.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

42 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Has there been a World Cup with this many upsets? It's surely been a while.

Some cases, it's just crap management. Germany and Spain for example.  Or poor selection of squad.

Is something interesting to go through though, 2014 had Costa Rica's great run, 2018 had Croatia.

Great job Morocco.

33 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Morocco winning put a smile on my face.

As for the next match, I'm torn. England losing is always a welcome occasion, but I really want someone, anyone, to beat France. I guess I'm rooting for meteor.

I'm also torn. On one hand the English losing is always a good thing. On the other hand if they're distracted enough Ireland may be able to take revenge on them while they're celebrating.

ELnvYDlUEAAhHus.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes :dancing:

England has equalised !!!!

John Milton 

French defenders screwing themselves here.

That was the most exciting game so far in the WC, well done France. Kane will never forget missing that second penalty

Im going out to drown my sorrows in alcohol 🍹

John Milton 

Southgate taking Saka and Foden off was strange.