The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one

Gorth

Moved a number of ageing posts from the Ukraine thread to here, as it was more about the age of political leaders in general...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

36 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Hmmm. I am torn. On the one hand I would like his approval ratings to be higher so that if he is the eventual Democratic nominee, he would beat the eventual Republican nominee. Especially if that ends up being Trump, as it seems it might.

On the other hand, I want his approval ratings to be lower so that he is not the eventual Democratic nominee.

I have mixed views around the next US president. I am not happy with certain things the Democrats are doing but I am unequivocally opposed to another 4 years of Trump. His denying of the 2020 election result  and his sycophantic support for various autocratic states ended any positive things for me that he  achieved in his presidency. 

So I am waiting for the Republican alternatives to Trump and I would support  someone like  Youngkin or Romney over  the Democrats but if Trump is the Republican candidate then I will support the Democrats 

25 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Mostly of interest for Australians (federal election coming up this year). For non Aussies, Clive Parker and his UAP is to Australia what Donald Trump and the current Republican Party is to the US.

I know I keep saying this but both the girls in these ads are so funny, brilliant and beautiful. Her facial expressions always make me laugh :grin:

But what they say in these videos is it " true " or do you believe its true ? I wouldn't know because I dont live in Oz so I dont know the history or context but that doesn't change how effective and humorous the message is 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A maximum age for politicians wouldn't be the only thing necessary. I propose a minimum height requirement too, that way we can avoid most Napoleon-Complex idiots that need power to compensate for their short...comings. :yes:

Yeah, sorry about that pun, not sorry about the idea. Just struck me looking at Putin standing as tall as Merkel. Yeah, no, if you're male and not at least an inch taller than the average height of your compatriots (or at the very least have yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge hands!), no leadership position for you.

edit: This is a joke, in case it wasn't clear enough.

Edited by majestic
Disclaimer
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

But what they say in these videos is it " true " or do you believe its true ? I wouldn't know because I dont live in Oz so I dont know the history or context but that doesn't change how effective and humorous the message is 

I usually share their viewpoint. Proud Patreon supporter too 😁

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, majestic said:

A maximum age for politicians wouldn't be the only thing necessary. I propose a minimum height requirement too, that way we can avoid most Napoleon-Complex idiots that need power to compensate for their short...comings. :yes:

Interestingly, Napoleon was apparently average height for a French dude, but below average for an aristocrat or officer. Apparently they wanted their officers tall so they'd look imposing or whatever back then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I have mixed views around the next US president. I am not happy with certain things the Democrats are doing but I am unequivocally opposed to another 4 years of Trump. His denying of the 2020 election result  and his sycophantic support for various autocratic states ended any positive things for me that he  achieved in his presidency. 

So I am waiting for the Republican alternatives to Trump and I would support  someone like  Youngkin or Romney over  the Democrats but if Trump is the Republican candidate then I will support the Democrats

I don't think there's any universe in which I vote for a Republican candidate in the next... ever. The entire party is complicit in Trump's nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

I don't think there's any universe in which I vote for a Republican candidate in the next... ever. The entire party is complicit in Trump's nonsense.

No their is a split and people who arent  sycophants of Trump 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, majestic said:

Yeah, sorry about that pun, not sorry about the idea. Just struck me looking at Putin standing as tall as Merkel. Yeah, no, if you're male and not at least an inch taller than the average height of your compatriots (or at the very least have yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge hands!), no leadership position for you.

Hey, **** you buddy. The last few US presidents have all been above average height and done some real ****ty things. Maybe instead of blaming short folks we could limit the power these dudes have. Why the hell should any old man suffering from dementia be let anywhere near a big boom button?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

10 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Hey, **** you buddy. The last few US presidents have all been above average height and done some real ****ty things. Maybe instead of blaming short folks we could limit the power these dudes have. Why the hell should any old man suffering from dementia be let anywhere near a big boom button?

70e63d634b1519a063d88483c7b0e13d.gif

• Gasp! 1

14 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

31 of 46 Presidents were taller than the current average height in the US for men; 19 of 46 were 6 foot or taller.  Not sure you can really make a conclusion about height and presidents other than it seems the voting public like taller men.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was thinking about Hitler, Putin and Sarkozy (to complete a murder, arson, jaywalking list :p) when I made that comment, more in jest than anything, even though I wrote sorry not sorry for the suggestion. Carry on.

• Hmmm 2

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

I was thinking about Hitler, Putin and Sarkozy (to complete a murder, arson, jaywalking list :p) when I made that comment, more in jest than anything, even though I wrote sorry not sorry for the suggestion. Carry on.

Hitler was apparently apparently 5 foot 9, which was well above average back then.

48 minutes ago, majestic said:

I used US presidents as an example because it's easy to find both their heights and horrible things they did. Perhaps as someone an inch below average height at average height it's a sore spot for me.

Regardless, limiting what power such folks would have is a net benefit because it seems the ****iest people find themselves in such positions regularly. 

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

42 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Hitler was apparently apparently 5 foot 9, which was well above average back then.

As far as I know the records of his personal physician had Hitler at 5'7", but fine, we can use Stalin just as well. :shrugz: Could also use Berlusconi instead of Sarkozy too, if corruption and underage prostitutes round the image out better than just plain old corruption. :p

2 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

I used US presidents as an example because it's easy to find both their heights and horrible things they did. Perhaps as someone an inch below average height at average height it's a sore spot for me.

Regardless, limiting what power such folks would have is a net benefit because it seems the ****iest people find themselves in such positions regularly. 

Oh, I don't disagree with you there, especially when it comes to having scary buttons that destroy everything, no one person should have full access to those. Nobody should have acccess to those regardless, but that's something else, I guess.

I added a disclaimer to the original post and am sorry if that's a touchy subject for you. I'd vote for you if you ever ran for president. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'd vote for you if you ever ran for president. :yes:

In ten years when I'm promising to take a dump on Alex Jones and build a wall around Florida, then I expect yout full suppott.

• Thanks 1

Our own Kiwi version of the Canadian antivax protest is finally getting moved on like the bunch of hobos (apologies to actual hobos) they are. It's exactly the same as Tiananmen Square, you know when the Chinese used a bit of pepper spray and riot shields instead of running protesters over with tanks and flushing them down the drain with firehoses...

Should ship the lot of them off to Ukraine to see what real problems are. Only problem is, something like 80% think Ukraine is some sort of global elite conspiracy to get them off the front page and would probably end up joining up with the Russians...

Edited by Zoraptor

53 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

solid platform tbh

For Alex Jones, I'll make sure it's liquid.

19 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

KP is only 25!?

giphy.gif

My records say I'm 30, but I feel like I'm either in my 20s or in my 80s. The rona years have made me feel simultaneously younger and older.

1 minute ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

My records say I'm 30, but I feel like I'm either in my 20s or in my 80s. The rona years have made me feel simultaneously younger and older.

Ah my bad. I was thinking president has a minimum age of 35, and majestic was going to vote for you, but you needed 10 years... nevermind me.

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Ah my bad. I was thinking president has a minimum age of 35, and majestic was going to vote for you, but you needed 10 years... nevermind me.

I pulled 10 years out of my ass, because 2032 sounds cooler to me than 2028.

8 hours ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

I pulled 10 years out of my ass, because 2032 sounds cooler to me than 2028.

2032 will actually be slightly warmer.

• Sad 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

14 hours ago, Pidesco said:

"Slightly" may be too optimistic.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Pidesco said:

From the soothing glow of the atomic fires.

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra