Hit Hard, Run Fast, Turn Left. The 2022 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

Mmm, Atlanta and an opening day loss...brings back such fond memories... 😁

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Tampa Tarpons, NYY Class A team in the Florida State League has a female manager, Rachel Balkovec. They are 3-1 as of today

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Following the Dodgers at the twins. Kershaw is perfect through six innings. Keep an eye on this one.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Baseball just sucks now. This sport IS dying and it f---g DESERVES to die! Kershaw was perfect through 7 innings. He's so dominant nobody even got him to a three ball count. 80 pitches 21 batters down. Dave Roberts pulled him out and went to the pen in the 8th. What an utterly GUTLESS move! That is everything wrong with the modern game in one decision. Don't get me wrong, I am a follower of Bill James and SABR but there comes a time you have to put the goddamned calculator down and let great players BE great!  218400 some odd MLB games in history. Only 23 have been perfect! When you are knocking on the door of history you don't say "f--k it" and turn around and go home! 

The only way that decision makes sense is if a Perfect Game is no longer considered to be something special. Or even a good thing. If that is the case then this sport is even more lost than I think it is right now. 

Thomas Sowell

So far the funniest moment of the season happened last night. Albert Pujols, all 280 lbs of him, tried to steal 3rd against the Brewers. He was thrown out of course. At a leisurely pace I might add! :lol:

Thomas Sowell

Do the Braves miss Freddie Freeman?

Nope!

Thomas Sowell

Freeman and Olson are both happy; Atlanta misses Freeman, but it seems to have been the rare move that turned out well for everyone.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

• 4 weeks later...

You really have to pity the Reds at this point:

May be an image of text that says 'The Reds no-hit the Pirates today... AND LOST THE GAME. Mid 9th REDS CIN Reds PIT Pirates P 1 Last Play REDS TJ Friedl pinch-hitting -hitting for Albert Almora Jr.. Scoring Plays REDS CIN 123456789RHE P PIT 000000000040 00000001 100 0'

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Thomas Sowell

In today’s episode of “Comics @Amentep hasn’t read (because they don’t actually exist)

The Detroit Tigers actually made a comic book in the 70s

280198979_2155723454584332_3599288960438

• Hmmm 1

Thomas Sowell

On 5/15/2022 at 4:52 PM, Guard Dog said:

You really have to pity the Reds at this point:

May be an image of text that says 'The Reds no-hit the Pirates today... AND LOST THE GAME. Mid 9th REDS CIN Reds PIT Pirates P 1 Last Play REDS TJ Friedl pinch-hitting -hitting for Albert Almora Jr.. Scoring Plays REDS CIN 123456789RHE P PIT 000000000040 00000001 100 0'

How does that work? Walk at least one batter who scores on what I'm assuming is likely an error or a deep fly out? I guess I could look it up 😛

Free games updated 3/4/21

51 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

How does that work? Walk at least one batter who scores on what I'm assuming is likely an error or a deep fly out? I guess I could look it up 😛

IIRC it was definitely that kind of scenario - I read it and can't remember if it was a deep fly out or what, but I think they had walked multiple people and had someone on third when the out was made.

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

In today’s episode of “Comics @Amentep hasn’t read (because they don’t actually exist)

The Detroit Tigers actually made a comic book in the 70s

280198979_2155723454584332_3599288960438

55¢ is an odd price for a comic purporting to be from the 50s/60s (10¢, 12¢ or 25¢ (for Tower comics) was the range in the US - production, like the paper stock, was cheap).  Also, I think US comics skipped to 60¢ from 40¢ in 1981/82.  Its a nice mock-up (I could critique the faked wear and the modernity of the line work, but, eh its fun so why quibble?)

There is, though, a long history of sports and US comics...

Cover for Sport Thrills (Star Publications, 1950 series) #12

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

watch this. afterwards is kinda tough to feel smug about being at the top o' the food chain. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 1 month later...

I haven't been following baseball like I usually do. I've been seriously busy these last six months. But this is too good not to share:

May be an image of 1 person, playing a sport and text that says 'THEDAD THE THEDAD DAD Source:LATimes.com Source: mage: image:Getty Getty DID YOU KNOW? Seven baseball players who have been enbsebllarsnhohvensk struck out by Nolan Ryan had sons who grew up to also get struck out by Nolan Ryan.'

Thomas Sowell

• 2 months later...

The defensive shift has been banned and there will now be a pitch lock in the MLB. I support both changes. I'm bummed that they had to ban the shift. I would rather hitters figure out how to adjust. I imagine if it was left in place, young hitters would get better at laying down bunts. But apparently the batting average is lower than it has been since the 60's, so I'm not surprised they did something.

I love a long day at the baseball park, but I get that a pitch clock will help keep the games more manageable and hopefully keep more fans engaged.

• 6 months later...

This might interest @Guard Dog, but it might be behind a paywall...

https://theathletic.com/4339875/2023/03/24/out-of-the-park-baseball-24/

Basically, some MLB teams are using Out of the Park Baseball to test scenarios and gameplan. It also give a great backstory to the game. 

The World Baseball Classic was amazing, btw. The best pitcher in the world faced off against the best hitter in the world in the 9th inning with a one run lead, and struck him out to win it for Japan. You can't write it any better than that.

• Like 1

Playing OOTP24. I've simmed the season 3 times and the Dodgers won two of the three. The Rays won the WS in the odd one.  Marcus & Co. don't think much of the Marlins. They finished below .500 in all three. I think they could win 100 games or lose 100 with equal ease.

Thomas Sowell

All well and good. But why does my fantasy baseball team still on have 1 stolen base??

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It’s so much more watchable. There’s far less time-wasting nonsense and more balls in play. Whitey Herzog approves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Do the rule changes only apply at the major league level or have/will they apply to the minor leagues as well? While I'm not one to watch baseball on TV, I do like going to the park. I make at least one, often more, trip per year to BB&T Ballpark to watch our AAA Charlotte Knights play. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Do the rule changes only apply at the major league level or have/will they apply to the minor leagues as well? While I'm not one to watch baseball on TV, I do like going to the park. I make at least one, often more, trip per year to BB&T Ballpark to watch our AAA Charlotte Knights play. 

Most of the changes started in the minors before they were brought up to the Show.

• Thanks 2

I don't hate any of these rule changes. Which is funny because I did when they were proposed. I was wrong about that!

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell